Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Here's another for the victim's page

www.wsoctv.com

Illegal Immigrant Had Several Aliases, Charges Against Him

POSTED: 12:24 pm EST February 15, 2007
    UPDATED: 2:04 pm EST February 15, 2007

SALISBURY, N.C. -- An illegal immigrant accused of causing a deadly accident in Landis went before a Rowan County judge for the first time via video camera Thursday morning.

Carlos Alfonso Guillen Martinez, 33, could not be in the Salisbury courtroom because of the injuries he sustained in the crash. He had to be taken to the Rowan County jail on a stretcher because his broken legs are still healing.

Martinez faces second-degree murder and driving while impaired charges. Immigration officials also uncovered he had at least six aliases and has faced charges under each name. His criminal history includes 10 charges, including a DWI conviction in 2004 for which he was placed on probation.

Authorities said he has lived in the Kannapolis area for at least seven years.

The El Salvador native has already been deported from the United States twice, and if convicted of the charges against him he will be deported again after serving his prison term.

Authorities say Martinez was speeding away from a Kannapolis police officer on Feb. 6 when he slammed head-on into 20-year-old Leeanna Newman's car on South Main Street in Landis.

Newman and her unborn child were killed. Her young daughter survived the crash.

Sheila Riddle, who owns a business near the scene of the crash, said she can’t believe Martinez has already been deported twice.

“It just stuns me that we can not actually do something about the situation,” she said. “It can’t be taken care of in a permanent way because he’s determined to be here. He keeps coming back.”

After his appearance in court Martinez was taken by Rowan County sheriff’s deputies to the medical unit at Raleigh’s Central Prison.

because he’s determined to be here. He keeps coming back.”
    Well if the wall was in place and our border militarized, its doubtful he'd make it back in illegally!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Doesn't surprise me. many criminal aliens have several IDs.

Quote Originally Posted by sippy
    because he’s determined to be here. He keeps coming back.”
    Well if the wall was in place and our border militarized, its doubtful he'd make it back in illegally!

The President's Guest Worker Program will stop him, Bush said so !

Thank's Dianne for this post. I just wrote my State Senator a letter a few days ago, and this was her reply(Below).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your comments on illegal immigration. It is true that the federal government has jurisdiction over immigration law, but the General Assembly did take measure last session to limit the access to certain services.

We tightened the requirements for obtaining a drivers license by now requiring either a Social Security number or a FOIL number from a Visa. Those numbers are now checked against the national database so that illegally obtained or manufactured number holders will be identified. It is also required that state agencies must run records checks on all applicants to determine citizenship status.

While it is true that Georgia took a bold stand on immigration with the bill proposed last session, it has already been struck down in court as being unconstitutional because state laws cannot pre-empt federal law.

I am including your federal representative contact information so that you may voice your opinion to them:

Senator Elizabeth Dole
    202-224-6342 (DC Phone) 202-224-1100 (DC Fax)
    919-856-4630 (Raleigh Phone)
    samantha_edwards@dole.senate.gov <mailto:samantha_edwards@dole.senate.gov> (e-mail address)

Senator Richard Burr
    202-224-3154 (DC Phone) 202-228-2981 (DC Fax)
    Lawrence_Duke@burr.senate.gov <mailto:Lawrence_Duke@burr.senate.gov> (e-mail address)

Representative Mike McIntyre
    202-225-2731 (DC Phone) 292-225-5773 (DC Fax)
    910-815-4959 (Wilmington Phone)
    congmcintyre@mail.house.gov

Hearing from my constituents is important, and I hope you will continue to communicate with me. In addition, to help me communicate with those I represent, I have established an email newsletter list to keep folks in our Senate district up to date about legislative issues and other goings-on in Raleigh. I hope you don't mind that I added your email address to my newsletter list. If you do not want to receive my newsletter, please feel free to just let me know, and I will be happy to remove you from my list.

I am grateful for the opportunity to work with you - and for you - in the North Carolina Senate. Thank you again for contacting my office.

--Senator Julia Boseman

Thanks..I'm shooting letters off to the state represenatives as we speak.

D.