How Hurricane Matthew could really hurt Hillary Clinton

By Daniel Halper

October 7, 2016 | 9:18am

Refusing to bow to a request made by the Clinton campaign, Florida Gov. Rick Scott said his state won’t extend its Oct. 11 voter-registration deadline, despite the potential for massive devastation caused by Hurricane Matthew.

“I’m not going to extend it,” Scott, the head of a pro-Donald Trump super PAC, said at a Thursday night press conference.

“Everybody’s had a lot of time to register. On top of that, we have lots of opportunities to vote, early voting and absentee voting, so I don’t intend to make any changes,” he said.

Earlier Thursday, Clinton’s camp called for an extension.

“We are hoping and expecting that officials in Florida will adapt deadlines to account for the storm,” Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook said.

Last presidential election, over 86,000 Floridians registered to vote within 8 days of the registration deadline, according to Politico. A plurality of those who registered at the last minute were Democrats — 40 percent — while Republicans accounted for 21 percent and independents 38 percent.

University of Florida professor Daniel Smith told Politico Scott’s actions are aimed at helping the GOP.

“I think there’s a connection between what Rick Scott is doing and the numbers we see,” the professor told the Beltway publication. “I don’t expect him to extend the voter-registration period because the tailed end of voter-registration drive tends to pick up those who are less politically engaged, who are younger and minority voters and that doesn’t bode well for the Republican Party.”

A lawyer working at a firm that’s represented the Clinton campaign signaled that a lawsuit may be coming soon.

“Well @FLGovScott I know some folks who are gonna have the last say on this. And none of them is you. #seeyouincourt,” Perkins Coie lawyer Jean-Jacques Cabou said on Twitter.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/07/how-hur...llary-clinton/