Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Alien Advocates call for 2 more marches in Chicago

07/12/06 - Illegal Alien Advocates Call For 2 More Marches In Chicago

Immigrant rights advocates announced plans for two more marches that would demand legalization for all undocumented immigrants. They called for a moratorium on deportations.

"A wave of terror is growing across the land so we must begin to march again," said Jose Lopez of the Puerto Rican Cultural Center at a news conference at the Plaza of the Americas, on the 400 block of North Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago.

The first march is planned for Wednesday. It will step off from Union Park on the city's West Side and head east into the Loop, retracing the path of a March 10 procession that filled the streets with tens of thousands of people and launched a nationwide series of rallies.

Organizers also announced a second march Aug. 5. It too will start at Union Park, but it will go for three days, and its ultimate destination will be about 40 miles away across the western suburbs: The Batavia office of House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.).

Webmaster's Note: LOL!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Immigrant advocates plan 2 more marches here

By Oscar Avila
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published July 13, 2006, 2:21 PM CDT

From grassroots organizers to a U.S. Cabinet secretary, supporters renewed their call for a comprehensive immigration bill in separate events in Chicago today.

Immigrant rights advocates announced plans for two more marches that would demand legalization for all undocumented immigrants. They called for a moratorium on deportations.

"A wave of terror is growing across the land so we must begin to march again," said Jose Lopez of the Puerto Rican Cultural Center at a news conference at the Plaza of the Americas, on the 400 block of North Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago.

The first march is planned for Wednesday. It will step off from Union Park on the city's West Side and head east into the Loop, retracing the path of a March 10 procession that filled the streets with tens of thousands of people and launched a nationwide series of rallies.

Organizers also announced a second march Aug. 5. It too will start at Union Park, but it will go for three days, and its ultimate destination will be about 40 miles away across the western suburbs: The Batavia office of House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.).

Activists, including religious leaders and labor union officials, are calling for a public hearing on the importance of immigrant workers.

Separately, Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, speaking at a board meeting in Chicago of the National Roofing Contractors Association, urged his audience to support President Bush's plan to bring in temporary workers from other countries to fill shortages in key labor sectors.

In remarks to a luncheon crowd of about 150 people at the Four Seasons Hotel, Gutierrez also called for legalizing some illegal immigrants while at the same time taking steps to ensure employers stop hiring undocumented workers.

House Republicans, and many American citizens, have questioned the president's proposals and have demanded that the federal government focus first on enforcement and border security.

Gutierrez, who has been traveling the country in recent weeks to counter growing opposition to Bush's plan, said, "This needs action now. The longer we let it linger, the more complicated it is going to get."

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

OK....three days to march 40 miles...give me a break.

I was a Boy Scout here....our troop was a hiking troop. Going on a 20 mile hike in ONE DAY was nothing....now, not trying to throw stones here, but if these ILLEGAL ALIENS are so hard working, why do they need three days to hike 40 miles to Hastert's office?
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.

I'd like to know how. The traffic is insane here. More street closures or do you think they'll opt for the interstate?

Seems great to me, good idea for them.

I mean the last marches the "illegals" went on , woke a lot of people up. Poed them in fact to the point of writing/calling their congressmen/senate/president.

It seem to really get to people when "illegals" march calling for rights. Calling for rights in a COUNTRY they "DO NOT" belong to.
    "We are not for any type or form of "AMNESTY"..We are a equal oppurtunity deporter. We will not discriminate against you due to your race/age/religion .. "

I hope they do......maybe it will push the remaining few over the edge to our side. I know the last one did, BIG time!!

A wave of terror is growing across the land so we must begin to march again," said Jose Lopez of the Puerto Rican Cultural Center at a news conference at the Plaza of the Americas, on the 400 block of North Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago
    A WAVE of terror in a known sanctuary city. Try the daily TERROR of American Citizens who have no place to go.

Yep, let them march. Backfired before. Oops! Now it did seem to impress a lot of senators but then again, many senators are out of touch with the U. S. citizens anyway. We can vote them out when their time comes. So, march march march and wake up more people, good idea.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

oh boy

I live near Chicago. On the day of the past Chicago march we had bus after bus in the Home Depot (of all places) lot taking marchers to Chicago. Over half of Waukegan, IL population is hispanic. I know the marches woke me personally up to this issue. I was down right mad as heck to hear, "Demanding our rights." What the heck...

Let's see what happens.

Curious here...how can we check to make sure they have APPLIED for the right PERMITS, have the right insurance policies in place? Maybe a call to city hall is in order?
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast