Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigration is destroying America's melting pot

Illegal immigration is destroying America's melting pot
    By Kenneth D. Bruner
    Guest commentary
    Last updated
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 11:04pm

The United States has long been considered a melting pot. I remember marveling at the way legal immigrants were welcomed into my Southern California neighborhood in the 60s and 70s.

Each of them came to the United States with the desire to own a piece of the American dream; making a better life for themselves and their families. As a general rule, they worked hard to assimilate into the American way of life by learning the English language and local customs. They did this while at the same time holding on to their cultural heritage and passing it on to each new generation of their families.

You could compare the merging of cultures we experienced back then to the making of a fine stew or soup where we blend different colors, textures, and flavors. Those legal immigrants enriched our melting pot with a new spice that enhanced and improved the overall flavor of our society. Unfortunately, our wonderful melting pot is on the verge of being destroyed forever.

There's nothing wrong with admiring the desire of an illegal alien to provide a better life for his family. I'm as empathetic and sympathetic as the next guy, but I know we can't continue to turn a blind eye to what is happening in this country. Fixing the problem will require us to have an open, honest discussion and make some hard decisions if we want any real chance of success.

Three key things need to happen if we're going to fix the problem. First, we need to eliminate all of the incentives that lure illegal aliens across our border. The second and more difficult task will be to figure out what we're going to do with the estimated 30 million illegal aliens currently living in our country. It's not realistic to ship them all back to their countries of origin, and it's not realistic, reasonable, or fair to reward all of them with a path to citizenship. The right way forward is probably going to be somewhere in the middle. Offer a long and difficult path to citizenship for some, and deportation for the rest. Third, we should immediately deport anyone overstaying their visa or caught illegally entering our country in the future.

The lack of action on a national level by Congress has been all about money and power; have you noticed that the Census Bureau works hard to count every illegal alien yet we don't make any attempt to count U.S. citizens working or serving abroad? The reason is simple; every illegal alien counted in the census adds up towards seats in Congress and affects the distribution of federal tax dollars. Places with high populations of illegal aliens like southern California unfairly benefit from illegal immigration. It's time for Congress to do what's right for the country instead of taking care of their own parochial interests.

We need to stand up for what's right on a local level as well. Organizations like the Utah Compact advocate that we show compassion to all of the illegal aliens in Utah and ignore the problem until the federal government does something. They have said that local law enforcement resources should focus on criminal activities, not civil violation of federal code. What do they think illegal aliens are doing when they steal someone's identity or use a fake identity based on forged documents? Every illegal alien who is working on the payroll of any company in the U.S. has done one of these two things in order to acquire a Social Security Number (you can't work without a SSN).

The reality is that illegal immigration is negatively impacting almost every faucet of our society. The lives of Border Patrol agents and National Guard troops are at greater risk every day because we continue to encourage foreign nationals to illegally cross our borders. Illegal aliens are filling jobs (including construction, meat cutting, and other similar work) that U.S. citizens would gladly do. They are putting a terrible drain on our education system, health care, and all of our social service programs. They are not interested in assimilating into our society.

Many of the inhabitants were originally from the Midwest (my Mom was an Okie), and you could safely sleep with your windows open. If you traveled through that town today, you'd find most of the signs in Spanish, the majority of homes have bars on their windows and doors, you need a token to use a toilet at the McDonalds, and the high school I graduated from is surrounded by a fence with barbed wire on top. This is what Utah can look forward to if we continue to do nothing.

Bruner lives in Layton.

http://www.standard.net/topics/opinion/ ... elting-pot
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Peer pressure, schools once taught new immigrants the benefit of being American no longer is that true now they are told how much more wonderful there culture is vs America, they in truth are taught to remain segregated. The question is by design via the progressive movement or is it simply ignorance.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

oldguy wrote,
    Peer pressure, schools once taught new immigrants the benefit of being American no longer is that true now they are told how much more wonderful there culture is vs America, they in truth are taught to remain segregated. The question is by design via the progressive movement or is it simply ignorance.
    Definetely by design. Divide and conquere creates tensions, lowers and keeps wages down, stimulates the economy with crime driven stimulus, ie court capacity, legal fees, incarceration fees, replacement costs for theft, insurance costs are stimulated, and creates a victim class whereby sociologists, psychologists, lawyers, politicians, advocate groups, and others can feed on the tensions.

In the criminal element, ie, political world, and some of the business world willing to crawl in the ooze and filth, this is a classic shakedown of the honest citizenry.

JMO, am I that far off base, or on target? If I am right, I might go for an education in criminal psychology, then I would move to Washington D.C. and help criminal investigators expose politicians running around concealing themselves as politicians!

Banned
    Illegal Immigration Is destroying the United States

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    So true oldguy! It's now politically incorrect to even suggest that being American or "melting into the pot" is somehow better than retaining their mother culture, even though they are the ones who came to this country. The rule of the day is to celebrate "diversity," which means we are no longer a melting pot, coming together as one; but rather a big bowl of soup wherein everyone is encouraged to add their original culture to the pot, while the cook tries to convince us what satisfying meal that bowl of soup is.

Problem is, the ingredients do not go well together and the soup ends up tasting horrible. Of course the cook continues to insist on what a wonderful meal this soup is. We know better!

What we get is an inedible mess of gobbledygook that nobody enjoys or wants to eat!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hell, an easy fix to the melting pot for legal immigration sits infront of our eyes and noone even looks at it. Now I'm not saying don't fix illegal immigration or tone down legal immigration, cause I support both of those!

But consider this. And Immigrant comes to the US, he/she has no US Rights on arrival and rights are also limited till gain perm residency and eventually more rights when gains citizenship.

Yet most legal immigrants, where do they go? They go to the exact same areas as all the other legal and illegal immigrants. I have some friends who have been waiting 21 years to immigrate to the US and finally getting approval (good people, speak english, and educated so no worries)... yet where were they planning on going? California of course!

Now heres a no brainer. When someone immigrates to the US assign them to a state, this is a 2 year part of the melting pot procedure. A city or state is selcted for them upon approval of visa at random possibly. They then get a visa for the US and allowed to work and recieve benefits in that state only. We could even add in specific cities in the state are disallowed as they have to high of an immigrant population unmelted already.

Now finish your 2 years, apply for your permanent green card which I believe should have a test involved like the citizenship test in english (and then make a new harder citizenship test!). When pass the permanent resident green card test after 2 years in the US you gain the ability to move anywhere in the US you please.

But breaking the restrictions of the temp green card visa would be subject to probable deportation w/o approval beforehand of immigration services or an emergency such as medical care needed from a major city that is on the no entry list.