Jimmy Carter: The media has been harder on Trump than predecessors

David Jackson, USA TODAY
Published 12:15 p.m. ET Oct. 22, 2017

Former President of the United States, Jimmy Carter, said he is willing to go to North Korea on behalf of the Trump administration in order to dissipate rising tensions. Maria Mercedes Galuppo(@mariamgaluppo) has more. Buzz60

WASHINGTON — President Trump has an unexpected defender: Jimmy Carter.

“I think the media have been harder on Trump than any other president certainly that I’ve known about,” Carter told New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd. "I think they feel free to claim that Trump is mentally deranged and everything else without hesitation.”

Perhaps Carter is seeking to placate Trump as part of a job interview: The 93-year-old former president said he is willing to undertake a diplomatic mission to North Korea to discuss its nuclear weapons program.

Carter told the Times he had discussed the North Korea issue with H.R. McMaster, Trump's national security adviser.

“I told him that I was available if they ever need me,” Carter said.

While Carter's comments about the media might please Trump, an ex-presidential couple might not be too happy with the Times interview: Bill Clinton and former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

"We voted for (Bernie) Sanders" in the primary, Carter said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ors/788558001/