Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Killer of Jamiel Shaw Jr. Sentenced to Death (update)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Killer of Jamiel Shaw Jr. Sentenced to Death (update)

Jamiel Shaw case: Jury recommends death sentence for Espinoza

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Miriam Hernandez

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Jurors reached a verdict Wednesday in the penalty phase of the murder trial of Pedro Espinoza, convicted of murdering Jamiel Shaw. The jury deliberated for less than two and a half hours before recommending the death penalty for Espinoza.

Espinoza spoke to Eyewitness News in an exclusive phone call after the jury returned its recommendation Wednesday.

"To the Shaw family, yeah, I do, I actually understand their pain. I understand their grief. I understand all that perfectly. But I'm not the one that did that to their son," Espinoza said.

Espinoza was convicted of fatally shooting Jamiel Shaw II, a 17-year-old star football player at Los Angeles High School. On March 2, 2008, Espinoza confronted and shot the teen in the abdomen and the head just a few doors away from Shaw's Arlington Heights home, thinking Shaw was a rival gang member.

Espinoza, now 23, was convicted on May 9 of first-degree murder with a gang enhancement. Espinoza's gang affiliation made him eligible for the death penalty.

Espinoza's defense contended there was no weapon connecting him to the crime and there was no witness.

Shaw's parents spoke to reporters after court Wednesday. Jamiel Shaw Senior said he talks to his deceased son.

"'We did it. Your life wasn't in vain,'" said Shaw's father. "I always tell him, 'Sorry about what happened. Sorry about that, man. Under the circumstances, this is the best that we could do.' We can't do no more than the conviction with the death penalty."

"That's why we've got so many bad people, because they don't fear the punishment," said Anita Shaw. "If you fear the punishment, then you won't do the crime."

The same jury was retained for the penalty phase of the trial to determine whether Espinoza received life in prison or a death sentence. It took the jury only four hours to find Espinoza guilty in the murder trial.

"I believe that the lord Jesus Christ has a big deal in the verdict because I believe that people used their conscience, and they voted by their conscience," said mother Anita Shaw.

Related Content

Story: Shaw family urges death penalty for Espinoza
    Story: Jamiel Shaw killer's sentencing phase begins
    Story: Jamiel Shaw murder trial: Espinoza guilty

The jurors had already indicated their feelings toward the death penalty on a separate questionnaire filled out during jury selection. Four said they were neutral, six moderately favored the death penalty and two strongly favored it.

Prosecutors asked for the death penalty. The defense sought life in prison without parole.
    Motions have been scheduled for September 17. Sentencing is scheduled for September 21.

source: Jamiel Shaw case: Jury recommends death sentence for Espinoza | abc7.com
    Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 11-03-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

(KABC)
    Miriam Hernandez

LOS ANGELES -- Jurors reached a verdict Wednesday in the penalty phase of the murder trial of Pedro Espinoza, convicted of murdering Jamiel Shaw. The jury deliberated for less than two and a half hours before recommending the death penalty for Espinoza.

Espinoza spoke to Eyewitness News in an exclusive phone call after the jury returned its recommendation Wednesday.

"To the Shaw family, yeah, I do, I actually understand their pain. I understand their grief. I understand all that perfectly. But I'm not the one that did that to their son," Espinoza said.

Espinoza was convicted of fatally shooting Jamiel Shaw II, a 17-year-old star football player at Los Angeles High School. On March 2, 2008, Espinoza confronted and shot the teen in the abdomen and the head just a few doors away from Shaw's Arlington Heights home, thinking Shaw was a rival gang member.

Espinoza, now 23, was convicted on May 9 of first-degree murder with a gang enhancement. Espinoza's gang affiliation made him eligible for the death penalty.

Espinoza's defense contended there was no weapon connecting him to the crime and there was no witness.

Shaw's parents spoke to reporters after court Wednesday. Jamiel Shaw Senior said he talks to his deceased son.

"'We did it. Your life wasn't in vain,'" said Shaw's father. "I always tell him, 'Sorry about what happened. Sorry about that, man. Under the circumstances, this is the best that we could do.' We can't do no more than the conviction with the death penalty."

"That's why we've got so many bad people, because they don't fear the punishment," said Anita Shaw. "If you fear the punishment, then you won't do the crime."

The same jury was retained for the penalty phase of the trial to determine whether Espinoza received life in prison or a death sentence. It took the jury only four hours to find Espinoza guilty in the murder trial.

"I believe that the lord Jesus Christ has a big deal in the verdict because I believe that people used their conscience, and they voted by their conscience," said mother Anita Shaw.

source: Jamiel Shaw case: Jury recommends death sentence for Espinoza | abc7.com
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    Me too

Jury orders death penalty for killer of Jamiel Shaw II

Pedro Espinoza shot Shaw, a high school football star whom he mistook for a rival gang member, in 2008.

After hearing jurors decide he should be put to death, Pedro Espinoza looks at the ceiling of the courtroom as his lawyer Csaba Palfi holds his head.
    (Bob Chamberlin / Los Angeles Times / May 23, 2012)
    By Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times May 24, 2012

A 23-year-old gang member who shot and killed a high school football star he mistook for a rival gangster in 2008 should be put to death, a Los Angeles jury decided Wednesday.

Jurors reached the verdict after about a week of testimony in the penalty phase of the trial for Pedro Espinoza, a member of the 18th Street gang. The panel was asked to decide what punishment Espinoza should receive for the slaying of 17-year-old Jamiel Shaw II.

Prosecutors said Shaw was killed execution-style because he was a young black male carrying a red Spider-Man backpack, which led Espinoza to believe he was a Bloods gang member. The same jury earlier this month convicted Espinoza of first-degree murder in Shaw's death and found true special allegations that he acted as part of a gang and personally discharged a firearm, making him subject to the death penalty.

Espinoza, hair slicked back on his once-shaved head with the tattoo "BK" — for Blood Killer — still visible behind his left ear, looked up at the ceiling just before the verdict was read and bit his lips. He showed no reaction at the verdict.

In the gallery, a smile spread across Shaw's mother's face and his father nodded his head. Most family members wore red, which they previously said was in protest of Espinoza.

"I hope he leaves prison the same way my son came into the mortuary — in a casket," the teen's father, Jamiel Shaw Sr., said outside court.

He quietly told his deceased son during the verdict: "We did it. Your life wasn't in vain."

The younger Shaw was shot down the street from his Arlington Heights home. Espinoza jumped out of a car and asked the teen for his gang affiliation and fired a shot into his stomach. He then walked around Shaw's body and fired a second time into his head, prosecutors said.

During the penalty phase, prosecutors called to the stand jail guards to attest to Espinoza's continued violent behavior even after he was arrested on murder charges. He assaulted a fellow inmate with a razor and attacked a sheriff's deputy, Deputy Dist. Atty. Bobby Grace said.

Jurors also heard testimony from probation officers from Espinoza's days at juvenile camp. One of them recalled how during an exercise in a counseling session, Espinoza was asked to choose a color. He chose his gang's color, blue, and said he would choose it even if it meant being sent to death row, according to testimony, prosecutors said.

"It shows the defendant had aspired to get where he is today," Deputy Dist. Atty. Allyson Ostrowski said after Wednesday's verdict.

Espinoza's defense attorney, Csaba Palfi, said his client was a product of a difficult, underprivileged youth. His mother came to the U.S. illegally when Espinoza was a baby to escape an abusive partner, only to end up with another who was just as abusive, Palfi said.

The attorney said that in contrast with Shaw's upbringing, it was clear what led Espinoza down the criminal path.

Shaw "had a loving family, a supportive family who made sure he made good choices, made good friends. Pedro didn't have that," Palfi said outside court.

He also painted his client as but a small piece of a larger social problem.

"Killing Mr. Espinoza in however many years ... is not going to fix anything, it's not going to stop the young men and women from joining gangs," he said.

Espinoza is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 21.

source: www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-jamiel-shaw-verdict-20120524,0,1868456.story
    Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 05-24-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ADDED TO ALIPAC HOMEPAGE News with amended title ..

http://www.alipac.us/content/killer-...ced-death-549/

I hope this verdict brings some sense of justice to the Shaw family. They have fought hard to warn others about the illegal alien killers that roam American streets with the aid of Globalist traitors.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post
    I hope this verdict brings some sense of justice to the Shaw family. They have fought hard to warn others about the illegal alien killers that roam American streets with the aid of Globalist traitors.

W
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Shaw's should be an example to all of us, and a reminder that vicious Mexican gang bangers permeate our cities, towns, and streets.

There are tens of thousands of Espinoza wannabees out there among us right now.

The eternally hypocritical Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton of course remain painfully silent, when NOW is the time for Black Leaders to come to the aid of not just Black Americans, but all Americans and joint the fight against the onslaught of Mexican gangs. The longer they, and our government fail to attack this invasion, the more Jamiel Shaw victims there will be throughout our country.

Hopefully, Jamiel Shaw Sr. was prophetic and that his son's death will not have been in vain, and that this will be a turning point for the sanctuary city of Los Angeles and other cities like it that have become breeding grounds for Mexican gangs tied directly to the drug cartels in Mexico and Latin America.

This jury decision is the right decision at a critical time for Los Angeles, and California where they are completely overrun with illegal aliens and the Mexican gangs that are part of the illegal alien culture.

More Black Leaders must take a stand and realize that their communities are at least, if not more vulnerable to Mexican gang violence.

This rare death sentence on a juvenile at the time of the murder in ultra-liberal California will also have a direct impact on the soon pending U.S. Supreme Court's decision on the national amnesty dilemma, which they know is the root cause of the growth of violent Mexican gangs throughout the country.

Jurors reached the verdict after about a week of testimony in the penalty phase of the trial for Pedro Espinoza, a member of the 18th Street gang. The panel was asked to decide what punishment Espinoza should receive for the slaying of 17-year-old Jamiel Shaw II.

Quote Originally Posted by nomas View Post
    JUSTICE, delayed but finally doled out!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

This senseless death, and many thousands like it, could have easily been prevented by never allowing sanctuary cities to protect these invaders through special laws such as Los Angeles' Special Order 40. Jamiel Shaw's story needs to be one of the major case studies of why Americans throughout the country are being needlessly, and brutally raped, murdered, and are the victims of countless crimes perpetrated by illegal aliens.

Gang member sentenced to death in Jamiel Shaw slaying

November 2, 2012 | 2:41 pm
    Los Angeles Times

The gang member convicted of killing high school football star Jamiel Shaw was sentenced to death Friday in a Los Angeles courtroom.

Pedro Espinoza, 23, stood silently as Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ronald Rose sentenced him for the March 2008 murder, in which Shaw was shot once in the stomach before being shot again, execution-style, in the head just feet from his front door.

"This defendant executed the victim in this as he lay defenseless and incapacitated on the ground, without a weapon," Rose said.

Prosecutors say the 17-year-old standout running back was killed by Espinoza for carrying a red Spider-Man backpack. They say Espinoza, who was a member of the 18th Street Gang, believed the red backpack meant that Shaw was a member of the Rolling 20s, a rival gang.

Family members, many wearing red and sitting in the front row of the courtroom, fought back tears as the prosecution and the defense rehashed details of Shaw's slaying. As the court recessed for lunch, one family member smiled at another, patted him on the back and mouthed: "It'll be OK. This is going our way."
    Prior to the sentencing, Rose rejected a defense motion for a new trial. Espinosa's lawyers argued that he had received an unfair trial because, among other reasons, the court barred evidence of Shaw's alleged gang affiliation and allowed two jurors to wear red.

On nearly half a dozen instances, Espinosa's lawyers were delayed by requests for discussion by their client -- who also attempted to add his own motion for a new trial.

"It's not uncommon for attorneys to attempt to fall on their swords in order to save their client's life," Rose said to Espinosa's defense attorney, Csaba Palfi, after Espinosa argued Palfi's defense had been inadequate. "The defendant is a very intelligent individual, who through his refusal to cooperate with his own attorneys has tried to establish that his attorneys are incompetent."

Palfi argued that sentencing Espinosa to death was a "Band-Aid on the hemorrhaging wound that is gang violence."

In a final plea for his client's life, Palfi cited Espinosa's abusive home life, arguing that he was groomed for violence. Truly at fault, he said, was a legal system that fails to fix gang violence -- not Espinosa.

"We can kill him," he said before an extended pause. "But it's not going to stop anything. It's not going to fix anything."

Just moments before the sentence, Jamiel Shaw Sr. issued a victim-impact statement, in which he drew a contrast between his son and the teen's murderer.

"He thought he was big, bad Pedro. But now that it's time for judgment day, he doesn't want to be executed," Shaw said. "These kind of people don't deserve to walk among us."

Gang member sentenced to death in Jamiel Shaw slaying - latimes.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Some measure of justice, at last.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast