Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by browneyes106
    A language is not a race. Also why don't Mexicans speak the native language of the Aztecs instead of Spanish?
    because mexicans are in alot of denial of where their ancestry comes from lol. its a fact that native mexicans are also part black but they sure love to deny that and show alot of racism to african americans...they have a grudge agaisnt american people for the treaty that gave us the western u.s, and seem so arrogant and ignorant towards white people..i cant tell you how many times ive been called a 'white girl' by a mexican, im not full white, but is that supposed to be an insult or something? lol my mothers family is from puerto rico, they are of spanish only blood, and alot of mexicans these days are half native, half spanish since the conquesadors almost completely wiped out the aztecs and bred a new race which is now a mix of different things in mexico. its really only the dark skinned mexicans that are so racist and prideful into speaking spanish, which is pretty hypocritical if you ask me because it isnt even their language, its spains language..in otherwords..white mans language. mexicans seem to have this weird mentality that white people arent allowed to speak spanish, or they think white people SHOULD be speaking spanish just for them, without directly realizing that the spanish language comes from the light skinned inhabitants of spain.

Arizona, where the illegals are slithering away
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Firstly Latino is not a race. It is a hodge-podge of races melding through history that all happen to share the language of the Spanish conquistadors. For the guest to claim she is a teacher of English, I worry that her ethnicity colors what she teaches.
    To call us North Americans, got news for them--Mexico is on the same continent so they are also Norte Americano.
    And to term people in this country as Anglos is only referring those from English stock. I don't have one drop of English in me and I am a citizen of citizen parents and grandparents. This teacher should do better to understand English--rather than promoting a silly agenda of racism.
    In all fairness: an 'Anglo' here in Arizona refers to any non Hispanic White person.

I self identify as such despite my 1/2 Hungarian, (probable) 1/4 Irish, etc. lineage
    StarshipTrooper<div>
    </div><div>Things happen for a reason.</div>

Arizona, where the illegals are slithering away
    Quote Originally Posted by littleirishgirl
    A language is not a race. Also why don't Mexicans speak the native language of the Aztecs instead of Spanish?
    because mexicans are in alot of denial of where their ancestry comes from lol. its a fact that native mexicans are also part black but they sure love to deny that and show alot of racism to african americans...they have a grudge agaisnt american people for the treaty that gave us the western u.s, and seem so arrogant and ignorant towards white people..i cant tell you how many times ive been called a 'white girl' by a mexican, im not full white, but is that supposed to be an insult or something? lol my mothers family is from puerto rico, they are of spanish only blood, and alot of mexicans these days are half native, half spanish since the conquesadors almost completely wiped out the aztecs and bred a new race which is now a mix of different things in mexico. its really only the dark skinned mexicans that are so racist and prideful into speaking spanish, which is pretty hypocritical if you ask me because it isnt even their language, its spains language..in otherwords..white mans language. mexicans seem to have this weird mentality that white people arent allowed to speak spanish, or they think white people SHOULD be speaking spanish just for them, without directly realizing that the spanish language comes from the light skinned inhabitants of spain.
    As you stated-------------and, the screamin' irony is if you wished to force the issue with those la raza hypocrites, you can claim Hispanic heritage yourself through your mother.
    StarshipTrooper<div>
    </div><div>Things happen for a reason.</div>

Any language is fluid (just try to read some Old English without translation).
    The Spanish that was taught to me in school was Castillian Spanish (which I have forgotten). Each region has its own version or dialect of Spanish, and I doubt few are able to understand Castillian Spanish well--if they are at all literate.
    And I do so loathe being classified as non-Hispanic white. I am white, period, not a non-anything type of white.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Language requirement is "racist" per UNIVISION

Quote Originally Posted by mdillon1172
    Sonia Gutierrez (English teaching school in DC) was interviewed by JORGE RAMOS of Unvision on the program AL PUNTO (to the point)... and responded to Ramos' question about the "myth of Hispanics not wishing to learn English" She responded stating that it is the "racists" in America who spread this lie. She has been teaching "foreigners" English for 30 years and finds these people to eagerly learn English .... because they wish to have a job...... BUT NOTICE .... they don't learn English to study the CONSITUTION or how to become an American..... and NOTICE that Jorge RAmos ignores her anti-American comment....

But then, the obvious question would be; why is Spanish-language media exploding... if they all wish to learn English and integrate?.... the only reason for UNIVISION is to CATER to those who wish NOT TO ADAPT to America, and wish to hear the news and entertainment in Spanish.... THEY THEMSELVES CREATE THE IMPRESSION THEY WANT TO HAVE A SEPARATE LIFE.... far from integrating or assimilating.... UNIVISION is happy to keep the Latins dependent on THEIR presentation of the news....

by the way, Ramos refers to us as "Anglo-Saxons" or "North Americans", but always as "they", as if he were not part of this nation....though he claims to be Mexican-born and an American". His anchor partner Maria Elena SAlinas does the same thing, though she is actually born in the US...

When they discuss something negative about America they use "they", Anglo or NorthAmerica, but if it is something pleasant and positive, they use "we" or at least "in this country..."

but, why do we allow any one to proclaim him'herself a HYPHENATED American.... one is either American or not.....
    I agree with your last statement. We should obliterate terms like Native Americans, African Americans, Hispanic Americans, blah blah blah

It has allways been a struggle for immigrants to integrate or assimilate. Most Americans have Western European roots, "Anglo-Saxon" ancestry.

The "Anglo - Saxon" term, by the way, seems to apply to a very wide groups of peoples, (English, German, Finns, Swedish, Norwegian, Italians, Eastern Europeans etc.). In reality this term applies to a smaller group, but I think we somehow over-stretch it here in America.

So, in America we have Anglo-Saxons, Eastern Europeans, peoples from Greece and Southern Italy etc.. One in some way could almost rank the difficulty of those groups to assimilate into the American way.

The vast majority of immigrants from South America have roots which are primarily non-European. Although it is reasonable to expect it would take longer for them to assimilate, this perhaps is difficult to accept.

The problem might lie in their numbers, and how they tend to cluster in specific areas. Other groups did the same during the last two centuries but their numbers were not nearly as large. They eventually dissolved into mainstream.

Chemistry, like mixes with like might apply here, from a cultural standpoint I mean. I do not deny that Hispanics must assimilate to mainstream. I simply offer an explanation of why this seems to take longer.

German cable TV providers offer only one Channel in English.

If they're so eager to learn English, then why do I have to press #1 for English and why does my dishwashing detergent now include directions in spanish?

If you cannot learn enough English in a relatively short period of time in order to wash clothes, then something might lead me to believe you're not trying hard enough...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Interesting comment. Perhaps, once again, the answer lie in their numbers.

Perhaps they were exposed to the Spanish culture for a longer period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    If they're so eager to learn English, then why do I have to press #1 for English and why does my dishwashing detergent now include directions in spanish?

If you cannot learn enough English in a relatively short period of time in order to wash clothes, then something might lead me to believe you're not trying hard enough...
    That is so true!

We don't want to end up like Europe. Have you lived there?
    It is amazing, instructions come in so many languages!
    German, French, English, Spanish, etc...even Russian I think.

Any language is fluid (just try to read some Old English without translation).
    The Spanish that was taught to me in school was Castillian Spanish (which I have forgotten). Each region has its own version or dialect of Spanish, and I doubt few are able to understand Castillian Spanish well--if they are at all literate.
    And I do so loathe being classified as non-Hispanic white. I am white, period, not a non-anything type of white.
    There is a small percentage of hispanics that are white. And I mean white. White is a skin color, isn't so?

Quote Originally Posted by StarshipTrooper
    Firstly Latino is not a race. It is a hodge-podge of races melding through history that all happen to share the language of the Spanish conquistadors. For the guest to claim she is a teacher of English, I worry that her ethnicity colors what she teaches.
    To call us North Americans, got news for them--Mexico is on the same continent so they are also Norte Americano.
    And to term people in this country as Anglos is only referring those from English stock. I don't have one drop of English in me and I am a citizen of citizen parents and grandparents. This teacher should do better to understand English--rather than promoting a silly agenda of racism.
    In all fairness: an 'Anglo' here in Arizona refers to any non Hispanic White person.

I self identify as such despite my 1/2 Hungarian, (probable) 1/4 Irish, etc. lineage
    Regardless of their assimilation status, 2nd, 3rd etc. generation, perhaps regardless of skin color as well.

It is understandable, these are the frontier territories. TX, AZ, etc. States that had direct confrontations with Mexican soldiers and a beef with Mexico many years ago. A stronger sense of cultural identity is to be expected there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast