Quote Originally Posted by rwright
Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
Quote Originally Posted by jmfay
The problem is this is independent contractor work we suspect. We only know of WY which doesnt allow it but companies get around it by one I9 for several people which is illegal.

We deal with this daily so we dont even bother to look for work as illegals under cut the pay and they take the hours too.

Every time people call for e verify we have to remind them this work doesnt cmoe under it and it also doesnt come under the I 9.

Thank you for what you did too.
That's a major problem if they are working on/at your home and get hurt. If their employer is calling them "independent contractors", it means he/she is NOT paying for workmen's comp nor are they covered by the employers insurance.

If they get hurt on your property, they will sue you.
He didn't say they were independent contractors, and they were driving one of his company trucks.
Also, I checked to see if he is registered with E-verify. NOT!
Ahh, gotcha. Here's another way to find out if he's on the up-and-up and cover your butt...get his certificate of insurance proving he has liability and pays workman's comp. Here's the link for more info:

http://www.ky-in.bbb.org/article/9520

Believe me, I've been there, done that through 5 floods. You would not believe what comes out of the woodwork.