Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Legal Spanish Citizens Reaction/ African American Reaction

I go by the name gusgriswald but in reality I'm a legal American Citizen born in Puerto Rico. My father fought to defend this country in the Korean war. We have devoted our lives to love for country and honoring the American way of life. When my family came to the States from Puerto Rico we did not have the spanish store at the corner or the separate spanish communities you see now. We lived out in the country with alot of good country people and we learned english. We respected the laws and stayed out of trouble. I remember as kids we would be called "Wet Backs" and other words that are commonly used by people that do not know any better. In reality I did not even know what the term meant until I got older. It bothered me then because I knew I was a legal American citizen and I did not deserve to be called a "wet back". Anyhow, when you've been in this country and you have had the opportunity to travel to other countries you realize that even with all the name calling and separations it is still the best country on earth. I would like to know how other legal spanish citizens feel. Even with all of the negative things that happen to me I still think that the law is the law. Even if this issue is mostly about spanish people, I still think that it would make no sense at all to allow all these illegals to become citizens. Am I the only legal spanish person that feels this way? How do African Americans feel?

gusgriswald
    Great post.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You should hear my Aunt on this subject! Her maiden name is Valenzuela, family origin, Mexico but almost a century ago. This modern 'reconquista' attitude totally has her angry. The attitudes, the failure to assimilate, the gangs, etc., - she gets livid. No you are far from alone. Remember, if you go through the arrest warrents for identity theft, the victims are almost entirely Spanish-surnamed.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

now correct me if i am wrong, but with Puerto Rico being a US commonwealth, arent you already considered a US resident?

gusgriswald - great post and welcome. Its always nice to see different perspectives.

I apologize for people that have called you names along the way, as an American just as you, statements like that hurt. All I can say is there are idiots in every community and every society. The ones that called you names were just pointing out that they were the village idiot

Legal Spanish Citizen Reaction/ African American Reaction

I have gone to different websites and have posted replies to other spanish people. The single most alarming thing I cannot understand about this issue is that I can never get a spanish person to admitt that Illegal means illegal??

Re: Legal Spanish Citizen Reaction/ African American Reactio

Quote Originally Posted by gusgriswald
    I have gone to different websites and have posted replies to other spanish people. The single most alarming thing I cannot understand about this issue is that I can never get a spanish person to admitt that Illegal means illegal??

I have a co worker who was born in the US but has hispanic heritage and he is SO mad that these people were demonstrating on May 1 and demanding all the rights that an American citizen has.

And most of those who do not care about people crossing illegal are the ones who will be the first to play the race card and will not care if someone is illegal

Spanish/African American reaction

Yes. When you are born in Puerto Rico you are born a U.S. citizen. I was fortunate because I came to the States when I was young. Which is another interesting point. Had my parents decided to go back I would have gone back with them. Why is this even an issue. Why are these kids being used like this? First-off the laws need to be looked at. How can someone that is here illegally have kids that are legal?

While I am sure names hurt your feelings, we all get called names from time to time. It doesn't make it right - but it happens. Gringo is a word I heard many times in South Texas - and still do.

When I met a Puerto Rican man in NYC, he said, "Texas, that's part of Mexico, right?" He said the same thing to my husband a couple of days later.

That seems to be a recurring theme, these days. While we were driving to NY, we went outside the motel room for my husband to smoke and an older Mexican man who was part of a work crew staying there, came outide also. We invited him to sit down at the only picnic table there. HE talked with my husband in Spanich. I caught how many kids he had, where he was from in Mexico, his mom and dad were still alive, he had 6 kids all living in California, etc., etc.

One thing I didn't catch, and my husband didn't tell me for a week, was when he said, "Texas, that belongs to Mexico.". My husband said he told him no that had been settled quite a few years ago. My husband said his statement sounded more sure than he really felt about the situation.

Some of the people of Mexican decent around here have told my husband how they dislike the illegals. Right or wrong, the injustice Americans feel, sometimes spill over on the ones whose ancestors have been here before theirs. That is just the way things go. Also, they feel they are having to compete with illegals for jobs. They are caught between. While they once were paid as anyone else doing the job, now they want to pay them illegal wages. Of course, the employers just don't hire the white Americans.

Some black people have complained also, although you would never believe it if you listen to the Rev. Jesse.

I seem to be hearing a lot more about racism - as in black/white lately. Paula Zahn did a program on it. I didn't watch as my blood pressure is bad enough already. It might be they are trying to stir up resentment between the blacks and whites so we will not get together on the illegal question. A country divided is easier to handle - doncha know.

Spanish/African American reaction

Yes. The name calling thing was something that bothered me but this is life and you deal with it. One interesting point I saw on a posting was about the employers automatically assuming that because you are spanish you deserve to get payed less. This is unfortunate but true in some cases. I think that this is something that needs to be removed as a mindset. And it is true, the illegals are making things bad for many legal spanish citizens. I've learned that in life all you can ask for is for a fair handshake from your employer. They will either appreciate your efforts or not. But for the most part if you have a good attitude and you don't think just about yourself you can accomplish alot.
    The difference that I see is that when you have an illegal working here in the U.S. they only think about working to send money back home. If you asked them how much money they give to help things out here in the U.S. they look at you funny. Don't be fooled into thinking that illegals do not make enough to give. Not all illegals are working for minimum wage. Many are making way more than you or I.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast