Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: LIVE Stream: President Trump Holds MAGA Rally in Tampa, FL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by stoptheinvaders View Post
    This one caught the eye of many also....

“If you go out and you want to buy groceries, you need a picture on a card, you need ID,”
    Trump's Grocery Store Gaffe Matters, but Not for the Reason You Think

Yes, Trump is out of touch with regular life. All presidents are. This one's ignorance is a problem in other ways.

Eric Boehm
    |Aug. 1, 2018 4:45 pm

Donald Trump is basically gaffe-proof. But that doesn't mean his factual flubs have nothing to tell us about the man or his policies.

Take what happened in Tampa Tuesday night. Speaking at a rally, the president freewheeled into a rant about the need for Voter ID laws. This is a pretty mainstream Republican idea. Long before Trump was the party's figurehead, GOP politicians were rattling off the same talking point that Trump hit last night: You have to show ID to buy booze or smokes, you have to show ID before you can board a plane, so why shouldn't you have to show ID before entering the Holy of Holies of American democracy, the voting booth?

But Trump added something new to the mix. "You know, if you go out and you want to buy groceries, you need a picture on a card, you need ID," he said. "You go out and you want to buy anything, you need ID and you need your picture."

To clarify: You do not have to show a photo ID before buying bread, eggs, and milk at the local Kroger.
    The media jumped on the gaffe, because it was funny and because it made him seem out of touch. But in the same speech Trump said something just as stupid and far more consequential, and it got much less attention. Dismissing worries about his tariffs, Trump claimed that farmers have reacted to China's retaliatory trade barriers by saying "it's OK, we can take it."

In fact, farmers tend to be pretty unhappy about being caught in the middle of Trump's trade war. In Iowa alone, the tit-for-tat tariffs with China could cost them more than $600 million this year, according to an Iowa State study. Farmers and their representatives have been some of the loudest voices opposing Trump's barriers to trade.

Most people in the White House know this. Presumably the president does too. That's why he's sending $12 billion in aidto farmers hurt by the tariffs, an effort that hasn't necessarily won many of them over. "Imagine someone destroys your car and then says I'll give you a ride to the next place you need to go. Well gee, thanks," farmer Mike Petefish told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune last week.
    Trump and his top economic advisers continue to be brush off the consequences of his trade war. The president has told supporters not to believe stories about steel-consuming businesses having to lay off workers or close their doors, and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross has claimed that job losses and higher prices are merely "hiccups along the way."

But Trump has seemed genuinely stupified by the reaction. After being told by Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) that farmers "want markets, and not really a payment from the government," the president expressed surprise. "I've never heard of anybody who didn't want a payment from the government," he said, according to an account Moran gave to the Associated Press. That's way more worrying that Trump's peculiar ideas about buying groceries.

I'm not sure many of Trump's supporters will really care about his grocery gaffe. Where most politicians try to fake being a regular guy, Trump happily flaunts the extent to which he isn't like everyone else. He puts his name on the side of huge buildings, rides golden escalators to press conferences, and brags about having never changed a diaper. Almost everything about his personal brand suggests that yes, he's completely out of touch. That's been true for years. It hasn't held him back so far.

Almost anyone who has been successful in national politics is out of touch with regular life. When Hillary Clinton admitted in 2014 that she hadn't driven a car since 1996, it was treated as a major gaffe. But she was just being honest. You can't go grocery shopping or pick up your dry cleaning when you're constantly in a motorcade.

It's not ultimately very important that politicians can quote the price of milk—a classic "gotcha" question, particularly in Britain. But understanding how their policies affect the people who do have to go to the grocery store every week: That's important.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/08/01/t...-matters-but-n

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

LOL!! Look at all the attention he got from that! Worldwide it seems, while Trump Supporters who actually do buy groceries are going ... what are they talking about and why are they talking about it?
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    LOL!! Look at all the attention he got from that! Worldwide it seems, while Trump Supporters who actually do buy groceries are going ... what are they talking about and why are they talking about it?
    I frequently go grocery shopping with my wife when free on the weekend and she or I have never had to produce an I.D. Cash or a bank debit card is all we ever use.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    I frequently go grocery shopping with my wife when free on the weekend and she or I have never had to produce an I.D. Cash or a bank debit card is all we ever use.
    That's nice, thanks for sharing. I guess that means you don't know about all the other people who write checks and use credit cards and show ID. No surprise.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    That's nice, thanks for sharing. I guess that means you don't know about all the other people who write checks and use credit cards and show ID. No surprise.
    Well, I guess, so as not to sound foolish, Trump should be more specific when making such a comment. While I can't be sure, I'm betting most folks have switched from checks to debit cards when making grocery purchases. I'm also betting it's a minority of folks that use a credit card at the grocery store. This is Trump's booming economy, no reason to use credit cards for grocery purchases.

The reason they are talking about it .....

Illegals voting in the election is a very serious matter and he had the opportunity to speak forcefully about it. Instead the serious message got lost and all the attention to this very important problem was lost in what many view as his narcissistic need for negative attention.
    Last edited by stoptheinvaders; 08-03-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    You've got to Stand for Something or You'll Fall for Anything

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Well, I guess, so as not to sound foolish, Trump should be more specific when making such a comment. While I can't be sure, I'm betting most folks have switched from checks to debit cards when making grocery purchases. I'm also betting it's a minority of folks that use a credit card at the grocery store. This is Trump's booming economy, no reason to use credit cards for grocery purchases.
    I use a Credit Card for groceries, and have for years. I also always pay the balance in full every month, no added charge. That being said, I have never been asked for photo ID when using the credit card.
    You've got to Stand for Something or You'll Fall for Anything

Quote Originally Posted by stoptheinvaders View Post
    The reason they are talking about it .....

Illegals voting in the election is a very serious matter and he had the opportunity to speak forcefully about it. Instead the serious message got lost and all the attention to this very important problem was lost in what many view as his narcissistic need for negative attention.
    Appears to be contagious, too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123