Pema Levy 4:42 PM EDT, Wednesday March 13, 2013
talkingpointsmemo.com

Gabriel Gomez, one of three Republicans vying for John Kerry's Senate seat, petitioned Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) in January for the temporary appointment to the post, promising to support President Obama's agenda on immigration and guns, the Boston Globe reported Wednesday.

In a letter to Patrick, which the Gomez campaign released Wednesday, the former Navy SEAL and private equity investor predicted that immigration reform and gun control would dominate Washington Politics. “I support the positions President Obama has taken on these issues and you can be assured I will keep my word and work on these issues as I have promised," Gomez, a self-described moderate Republican, wrote.

On the campaign trail, Gomez has opposed an assault weapons ban that Obama supports.

Gomez personally delivered the letter to Patrick's chief of staff Mo Cowan, whom Patrick ultimately picked for the temporary appointment.

Gomez commented on the letter in a statement:

“Like many independent minded people, I believed Governor Patrick had an opportunity to reach across the aisle and appoint a new Republican voice to help solve our spending problem, and to represent all the people of Massachusetts,” he said. “So, I had the guts to ask him. The governor never responded. I decided to run for the U.S. Senate because our country is greater than our politics. I served my country before, and I’m ready to serve again.”

One Old Vet - Veterans, Guns, Illegal Immigration, Border Security

Gomez Promised To Support Obama On Guns, Immigration If Appointed To Senate | TPM LiveWire