Man pleads guilty to assault of 13-year-old boy

By: Staff and wire reports -
November 15, 2007

SAN DIEGO --- A man pleaded guilty Thursday to sexually assaulting a 13- year-old boy after plying him with alcohol on a secluded Poway hillside near a middle school.

Jesus Mora Nava, a 30-year-old illegal immigrant, agreed to enter into a plea deal that carries a 16-year prison sentence on the day his preliminary hearing was to take place.

The defendant admitted two counts of committing a forcible lewd act on a child under 14 and one count of using false documents to conceal his true citizenship status.

Nava, a transient who was living in the rural, hilly area west of Meadowbrook Middle School, will be sentenced Jan. 3 by Superior Court Judge Frank Brown. The defendant will be required to register as a sex offender and will be deported when he finishes serving his sentence, said Deputy District Attorney Dino Paraskevopoulos.

"(This was) a very difficult case ---- a very difficult case for the victim," the prosecutor said outside court, noting that the plea deal means the victim will not have to testify.

Paraskevopoulos said the teen and his family were happy to hear that Nava admitted his guilt.

The area where the assault occurred is a large, undeveloped canyon that stretches between the middle school and hills to the west. The area is crisscrossed with dirt paths and ridges surround the canyon on three sides.

The area's physical characteristics frequently attract migrant workers, transients and other homeless people who establish illegal camps in the tall brush that fills much of the canyon, authorities have said.

Meadowbrook students who live in homes on the other side of the ridge have been known to use the area as a shortcut to and from school, although school officials discourage them from doing so.

In court Thursday, Paraskevopoulos said the boy was standing outside the school July 16 when he was approached by a stranger, who turned out to be Nava.

The defendant asked the boy in Spanish if he had any drugs, and the teen said no, according to the prosecutor.

Nava left, but came back and offered the boy some beer, which he declined, Paraskevopoulos said. The defendant left again and returned with beer, and the boy had some to drink at that point, the prosecutor said.

Paraskevopoulos said Nava then took the boy with him to a nearby liquor store, where he bought more beer and hard liquor.

The defendant then took the victim to a transient encampment near the school and gave him watermelon and more beer before sodomizing the child after he passed out, the prosecutor said.

When the teen came to and started walking away, Nava followed and threatened the boy, telling him that if he said anything about the sexual assault, his family would be killed, Paraskevopoulos said.

Using a helicopter, deputies found the man about six hours later at his encampment.

In court Thursday, the judge told Nava that he avoided a life sentence by admitting his guilt.

"I think this is substantial justice," Brown said.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/11 ... _15_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

AHEM wrote on Nov 16, 2007 6:55 AM: " Use the dictionary! The proper term is illegal alien! "

No writer for this article?! wrote on Nov 16, 2007 9:00 AM:" Curious why whenever there is an article stating negative facts about illegals, there is never a listed writer. Guess it doesn't fit the papers agenda. Maybe the paper/writer is afraid of offending their pro illegal contributors thus they don't list the writer's name. What is it? It is very obvious!! "

esteban wrote on Nov 16, 2007 9:02 AM:" NCT DID use illegal alien....way to go NCT!!!! "

I am glad he is going to wrote on Nov 16, 2007 9:17 AM:" be in jail, however why can't he SUFFER in a MEXICAN jail? Taxpayers just keep paying and paying... "

Skip wrote on Nov 16, 2007 9:31 AM: " Is there ever a better reason to close the Squatters' encampments? It is all about public safety. There is absolutely nothing known about the people living there. They could be convicted felons for all we know. "

Jorge Bush wrote on Nov 16, 2007 9:32 AM: " Family values do not stop North of the Rio grande. "

Now now wrote on Nov 16, 2007 10:55 AM: " we and the boy must be tolerant, we must be politically correct, after all he only came here to do the things americans don't want to do. "

El Guero wrote on Nov 16, 2007 2:27 PM:" Wow, how come there are no illegal immigrant sympathizers on this page? Like sdraoul, Roberto1, Pluto, and the cadre of interns working overtime at the National Latino Research Center? Could it be because they're uninterested in crimes committed by their brothers and sisters against citizens of the United States? "

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? wrote on Nov 16, 2007 2:40 PM:
" "a transient encampment near the school" "

Only 10 comments?? wrote on Nov 16, 2007 3:57 PM: " Give me a break, 10 comments on a man who brutually rapes a little boy?! You guys aren't posting comments! Does this story by an "unkown" writer not meet your agenda? What's up? Have you heard of the First Amendment? "

To Only 10 comments?? wrote on Nov 16, 2007 4:59 PM: " From what I read in this story, since the boy spoke Spanish, maybe he too was an Illegal Alien and that is why there is little mention of this story in the news. I have seen this a lot where some victims are Hispanic. Now you all can call me any name you want but I am just pointing out the obvious from what I have seen from my personal experience. R/ Skip

To Skip: wrote on Nov 16, 2007 6:40 PM: " I am sure many people are commenting on the story but NCT aren't posting them. If people write things against illegals, they quite often won't post!! "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/11 ... _15_07.txt