Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MD's Illegal alien pandering Governor- Gives Speech

This Jackarse is ruining our State. He actually calls "ILLEGAL ALIENS" "NEW AMERICANS" He has made Maryland a sanctuary state and they have more rights than the tax paying citizens.

Oh, and just a warning: It is a very strong "rumor" that he is positioning himself for a run for the White House!

U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
    Annapolis, MD
    March 29, 2011
    As Delivered

Thank you Dr. Ribas. Buenos Dias. It’s an honor to have the opportunity to join you here today. For those of you who are visiting the capital region from out of town, I hope you’ll take the opportunity to visit your vecinos (neighbors) in Maryland. As Governor, it’s my solemn obligation to encourage you to invest in our local economy.

Show of hands – who do we have here from Maryland? You and your colleagues in business in Maryland helped us create 8,100 jobs last month – can we give them a round of applause?

Today nearly 9,000 more Marylanders have jobs than did a year ago. That’s only possible with the grit and determination of the men and women of so-called small business.

Small business is the backbone of America’s economy – and a strong, growing, upwardly mobile middle class.

When you get hit, we all feel it. And you’ve taken your share of hits during the Great Recession. One would be sore pressed to find a single small or family-owned business in America that hasn’t felt it in some way. All the time I talk to men and women who are working harder than ever to make payroll. Small businessmen and women who are jumping through hoops to secure that bank loan they need to expand or hire new employees,... struggling to afford rising health care costs.

In this changing new economy, our country is fighting a global battle for jobs and opportunity.

We can only win if our government is fighting alongside your businesses to hire and expand and grow. That’s what I wanted to talk with you about today.

Respira Medical: A Small Business Success Story

It’s my belief that our secret weapon in the battle for jobs and opportunity are companies like Respira Medical out of Linthicum, Maryland. They specialize in home health care services – one of those Innovation Economy sectors which are so critically important to our national recovery and global competitiveness.

We’re joined today by Respira’s founder, a proud Hispanic-American by the name of Maria Welch. Where is Maria?

At one time Maria was homeless. Today she’s the CEO of a $10 million small business that has served more than 24,000 patients. She also happens to be the Chair of the Maryland Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. And in 2008, I had the distinct honor of swearing her in as Chair of the Governor’s Commission on Hispanic Affairs. Let’s hear it for Maria!

Strengthening Small Business

While government can never replace the resilience, tenacity, and ingenuity of the Maria Welch’s of the world, we can all agree that there are some things – some challenges so large – that we can only tackle them together. Creating the new conditions that allow you to grow and prosper is one of them. Spurring research and innovation to expand opportunity is another. So is improving education and making college more affordable for more families.

When we work together to strengthen small business, it moves all of us forward. When in Maryland, our state government trains employees at a company like Manufacturing Support Services on new software, it doesn’t only benefit Robert Correa, the owner, it benefits an entire community, and yes our entire State. And when this Hispanic-owned business hires new employees for aerospace and defense sector jobs, it helps all of us.

I want to share five things, we are doing in Maryland to grow our economy:

First, is expanding opportunity to more people, rather than fewer. In Maryland, we’ve chosen to more than double the state contracts we award to Hispanic-owned business. Why?

Because our diversity is our greatest strength;

Because Hispanic owned businesses employ more than 25,500 workers and generate $4.4 billion in sales;

Because it benefits all of us that Baltimore is one of America’s two best metro areas for minority-owned businesses and entrepreneurs, so says Forbes magazine.

Number two is to prime the pump of small business lending. We are a stronger country when you have the capital you need to create jobs and grow our economy. President Obama wisely signed legislation into law that provides financial support to the small business loan guaranty funds we are creating in the states. Our fund in Maryland is helping businesses create and save 500 jobs and access nearly $9 million in capital.

Number three is health care. When your small businesses are paying another 15, 17, 20 percent annually into health care costs, how are you going to keep your employees employed? How are you going to expand and market your businesses?

In Maryland, we now offer financial assistance to help small business purchase care for their employees.

And nationwide, President Obama created new tax credits for small business as part of the Affordable Care Act. Repealing them would be bad for small business, and would slow recovery and job creation.

The fourth is spurring innovation and strengthening its primary ingredient: public education. That’s the only way we’re going to succeed in making this new economy ours.

Thirty years ago, the United States ranked #1 in high school graduation rates among our global competitors. Today, we’re 11th…. Thirty years ago, America ranked #1 in college completion. Today we’re #12…. As a nation, we now spend more on potato chips than we invest through our government into energy research and development.

Today, other countries are investing to advance innovation and out-educate our children. To out-compete them, as President Obama has said, we have to be willing to out-innovate, out-educate, and out-build them.

It all comes back to public education – which is the single most important thing we can do in government, to help you innovate in your businesses.

In Maryland, even as we’ve cut $5.6 billion in state spending, we’ve chosen with our people to make the largest investments our state has ever made in K-12 education. Even in tough times, we’ve froze in-state college tuition four years in a row to make college more affordable for our families. And across our state, we’re working to reinvigorate education in science, technology engineering and math.
    To support innovators in the private sector, we have to be willing to be innovative in how we govern. In Maryland, we are simplifying and streamlining the business licensing and permitting process through an initiative we call Maryland Made Easy. And we’re using our tax code to support small business with targeted job creation tax incentives.

Innovation in government is especially important in times like these when our children’s economic future depends on fiscally responsible decision making.

Technologies and performance measures are powerful tools for cutting through waste. They free up resources to invest in the building blocks of economic competitiveness. They allow us to create the conditions that lead the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to say we’re one of two best states for innovation and entrepreneurship, and lead the Kauffman Foundation to name us as one of the top three best positioned to win in the new economy. And they allow us to do so, while we’re making record cuts to state spending.

Conclusion

I leave you today with a final thought. We must not give up on our American presumption of optimism.

We will only reach our fullest potential as a people, when we succeed in brushing back the narrow-minded, reactionary, demagogic, demonization of New Americans. New Americans didn’t run Wall Street into the ground. New Americans didn’t destroy our savings. Bashing new Americans does nothing to make our economy stronger or win the global competition for jobs and opportunity.
    In my office at the State House I have a sign that says “No Irish Need Apply.â€

This is the same Governor who has a vendetta against the construction worker Walter Abbott. Abbott is being tried for a FOURTH time. O'Malley refuses to drop the case.

Today is debate for "instate tuition for 'UNDOCUMENTED' (excuse me while I hurl) 'Immigrants'

Gov O'Malley says he will definitely sign this bill into law.

It's alll about "him" and his quest for The WHITEHOUSE!
    Don't you all feel secure that Maryland (being attached to DC) doesn't know WHO THE HELL we have living here?

How these vile politicians get a away with this crap just boggles my mind!

fourth time?

am i missing something that a person can not be tried for the same crime more than once

what is going on here

The correct comparison, is not separatist Hispanics with immigrants of long ago (Irish or anyone else) but separatist Hispanics with Nazi Germany. Different peoples with different methods, but the same spirit and the same goals.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    fourth time?

am i missing something that a person can not be tried for the same crime more than once

what is going on here
    I have the articles linked to this site...somewhere! I agree with you- but the petulant KING O'MALLEY won't let it go.

1ST TRIAL: Judge would not allow ANYTHING about it being "POLITICAL FREE SPEECH" PROTECTED BY THE 1st AMENDMENT into the trial. The prosecutor won the case. All the jury had to go on was "was this email threatening" NOT the fact that Abbott never intended to carry it out.

2. Walt's lawyer was FURIOUS at the action of this judge and it went to the Appeals court in Annapolis. The Appeals court agreed with Walt and hi atty that the JUDGE was WRONG and that the "free political speech" information should have been part of the trial.
    The ruling was overturned.

3. O'Malley decided he was still pressing charges. He is doing this to make an example of someone who WOULD DARE SPEAK OUT ON THIS ISSUE!
    The last trial was 3/29 - The first amendment free speech issue was addressed and the jury was instructed that they should decide if Walt Abbott posed a true threat to O'Malley. If he was ACTUALLY GOING TO CARRY OUT THE ACT. There were so MANY character witnesses for Walt that there was not time for all of them to take the stand. THIS LAST TRIAL HELD ON 3/29/11 RESULTED IN A "HUNG JURY" and the judge declared it a "MISTRIAL!"

YESTERDAY- 4/6: Walt announced that his lawyer found out that O'Malley was having him tried YET AGAIN!

I guess it's not enough to ruin a mans first business- and him lose his home- but the SECOND time around - after Walt testified in front of the MD General Assembly with other contractors about the loss of his lively hood to illegal aliens (where they were laughed at and made fun of by many legislators- NO I AM NOT KIDDING- THIS IS THE TRUTH!) and that he was losing a second business and having financial problems was not enough for O'Malley- The vendetta continues.

BTW...the prosectutor in the first trial was made a judge by guess who? I will relink articles to this site so you can read them.

People are FURIOUS over this decision to retry walt. It really is a sad, pathetic situation.
    My heart aches for him- and for others in his shoes.

Doug Gill's article

http://www.examiner.com/maryland-stateh ... man-part-1 ( Do you like this Article?
    If one Googles the name ‘Walter Abbott’ one certainly wouldn’t get the expected results; especially if the presumption includes a myriad of stories on whom the O’Malley administration apparently considers one of the state’s most notorious criminals.

Abbott, as you may recall, awoke one March morning three years ago and decided he’d had enough of the state’s sanctuary policies regarding illegal immigrants.

“It wasn’t like this was the first time I’ve tried to contact our government officials,â€

Doug Gill's article -Part 2

Governor O’Malley’s 3-year war on a working man (part 2)
    March 28th, 2011 5:58 pm ET J. Doug Gill Maryland Statehouse ExaminerSubscribeSponsor an Examiner View all of J. Doug's articlesPrintEmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterDo you like this Article?
    (Continued from Part One)

Yes, what Walter Abbott did was simultaneously stupid and illegal, and he’d be the first to agree with you on the intelligence estimate. But no one – not an overzealous prosecutor, perceived partisan judge, or a bitter governor will ever convince him that he doesn’t have a first amendment right to write the very words included in the now notorious email.

“I wasn’t going to have a criminal record just because I said what a lot of people feel and what a lot of people want to say,â€

Another article with comments

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/03/2 ... -governor/

News
    Trial Underway For Man Accused Of Threatening O’Malley
    March 29, 2011 11:24 PM

Print Share 90

Reporting Suzanne Collins
    ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — A man on trial for sending Governor Martin O’Malley a threatening email is getting a groundswell of support.

Suzanne Collins reports they don’t agree with the tactics used but do agree with his frustration with the state government.

Walter Abbott wrote an email to Governor Martin O’Malley saying he’d lost his drywall business and his home because illegal immigrants undercut his prices. He wrote, “I would like to wrap my hands round your neck and choke the life out of you.â€