Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mel Martinez Reply re: Employment Verification

This is a reply to my email that I sent re: employment verification.

Below is a response to the recent comments I received from you:

Dear Ms. :

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding employment eligibility verification and worksite enforcement provisions in the House and Senate Immigration Reform bills. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to take this opportunity to respond.

As you know, it is unlawful for an employer to knowingly hire an immigrant who is not authorized to be so employed. Currently, employers are required to examine documents presented by new hires to verify identity and work eligibility and to complete and retain a paper-based I-9 verification form. Employers also have the option of participating in the Basic Pilot electronic employment eligibility verification system.

As you know, on May 25, 2006, I joined 61 of my colleagues in passing the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006 (S. 2611). Section 301 of this legislation would create a mandatory Electronic Employment Verification System (EEVS) that would be phased in over a five year period. It would require employers to query the EEVS to verify the identity and employment eligibility of an individual after hiring, recruiting, or referring for a fee.

Employers are protected from civil and criminal liability if they utilize information provided through the EEVS confirmation system. However, S. 2611 would increase monetary penalties for employers who knowingly hire an immigrant who is ineligible to work in the United States.

This legislation is now subject to a joint House and Senate conference committee to reconcile the differences between the Senate- passed S. 2611 and the House- passed Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005 (H.R. 4437). Please know that I will remain mindful of your concerns as we continue to work on this difficult issue.

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful comments with me. If you have any additional concerns, please contact me. For more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Hmmm.........not one mention of the SAVE Act which has already been introduced in the Senate.

I believe the SAVE Act also does this:

Section 301 of this legislation would create a mandatory Electronic Employment Verification System (EEVS) that would be phased in over a five year period.
    Except with the SAVE Act I believe the Electronic Employment Verification System is phased in over a four year period. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that count.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn