Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexicans Say Guard Won't Slow Migrants

Mexicans Say Guard Won't Slow Migrants
    May 15 5:21 PM US/Eastern
    Email this story

By MARINA MONTEMAYOR
    Associated Press Writer

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico

Looking for someone to help him cross into the United States, Jorge Gutierrez said Monday it will take a lot more than U.S. National Guard troops to keep him and other migrants out.

Most Mexicans believe the plan, to be announced Monday night by President Bush, will do little to stop the flow north. President Vicente Fox called Bush this weekend to say he didn't believe sending soldiers to the border was the answer.

The countries have rarely seen eye-to-eye since Bush and Fox agreed to work toward immigration reform five years ago at a meeting at Fox's ranch in Mexico. Fox wants the Bush administration to give amnesty to millions of migrants living in the U.S. and allow more to seek jobs legally from outside the country.

Bush rejected the idea of an amnesty and instead proposed allowing people with job offers to enter the United States and work legally for three years. The topic has generated fierce debate in Congress, where members are divided between those who want to see more security at the border and those who want immigration reform.

Bush is expected to propose sending National Guard troops to the border as a stopgap measure while the Border Patrol builds up its resources to more effectively secure the 2,000-mile line between the U.S. and Mexico.

The move is aimed at winning support for immigration reform from conservatives who are more interested in tightening security along the border.

Gutierrez, who had just arrived in Juarez from Torreon to look for a way to cross illegally into the United States, said he didn't believe the troops would make a difference.

"No guard, no wall will keep us from crossing," he said.

Jesus Rodriguez, 49, agreed. He was looking for ways to cross one of Juarez's international bridges. "For Mexicans, there are no obstacles," he said.

Francisco Loureiro, who runs a migrant shelter in Nogales, across the border from Nogales, Ariz., criticized the plan as an "aggressive action more than anything because the migrant is not a criminal or a terrorist."

"His only objective is to work ... and a government that supposedly lobbies for world peace is now acting against defenseless migrants who are helping to fill a need for employers in the U.S," he said.

Presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar told reporters Monday that while Fox "expressed his concern" over the proposal to Bush, he had no choice but to respect it.

"It is a sovereign decision," he said. "We can't interfere."

Mexico has had a tough time convincing the U.S. that it is doing everything it can to prevent and provide alternatives to illegal migration, especially when it is dependent on the remittances migrants send home.

In 2005, migrants sent about $20 billion to Mexico, where remittances represent the second-largest source of foreign income, after oil sales.

The government may have been able to prevent the growing backlash against migrants in the United States if it had showed it was improving opportunities for Mexicans at home, said Rodolfo Garcia, an economist at the University of Zacatecas.

Consequently, instead of sharply protesting Bush's National Guard plan, Fox's administration is more likely to justify it, Garcia said, hoping that it will help Bush soften attitudes toward guest-worker and legalization proposals.

___

Associated Press reporter Lisa J. Adams contributed to this report from Mexico City.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/15/D8HKF1TG2.html
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

Presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar told reporters Monday that while Fox "expressed his concern" over the proposal to Bush, he had no choice but to respect it.

"It is a sovereign decision," he said. "We can't interfere."
    Oh, I'm sure that El Presidente Bush and El Presidente Fox already have this one all worked out. I bet it went like this:
    Don't worry, Vincinte, the National Guard is not allowed to apprehend or deport your illegals. I'm just trying to fool the American people into believing that I'm getting tough on illegal immigration, just long enough to get my amnesty plan through.
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

Doesn't it just tick you off? I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do and there ain't a thing you can do about it. There is no compromise that will ever please these people. I don't know what it's going to take to get them (government) to wake up and realize just how serious this is.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

One thing is for sure, he DID NOT fool the American people. My eyes are wide open. He thinks we are all fools, but he is in for the surprise of his life.
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

These mexicans are ticking me off. I want email addresses for those leaders too.

We better get loud, and fast.
    I'm "Dot" and I am LEGAL!

Have you heard what the National Guard is supposed to do? It's only a back up role! No guns, no arrest powers. What the heck are they going to do? Applaud when the border patrol makes an arrest?????
    They also said that the N.G.'s will be going down there on 2 week rotations. They will do their 2 week service on the border. What good will this do? They'll never have any real experience for the job.
    It's a wonder Bush didn't propose to have the Boy Scouts have a camporee on the border!
    What crap! This was Bush's last stand and he lost.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Quote Originally Posted by 31scout
    Have you heard what the National Guard is supposed to do? It's only a back up role! No guns, no arrest powers. What the heck are they going to do? Applaud when the border patrol makes an arrest?????
    They are going to hand out kool aid and peanut butter sandwiches.
    Put one batallion of Marines down there with a legitimate Tactical Area of Operational Resposibility, and the problem would be solved in about two days.
    We need to immediately start construction of a new military base somewhere in southern Texas. Just in case.
    <div align="center">"IF it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-Dial 1-800-USMC"</div>