Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Mexico announces date for trucks to roll in U.S.

Mexico announces date for trucks to roll in U.S.
    DOT signed undisclosed agreement setting terms for controversial project

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=55535

Posted: May 4, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern
    By Jerome R. Corsi
    © 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

With U.S. officials refusing to respond to key questions, Mexico announced the controversial truck demonstration project will begin July 15, with both Mexican trucks operating throughout the U.S. and American trucks allowed to travel south of the border.

WND has obtained a copy in Spanish of a news release issued Tuesday reporting on a press conference given April 24 by Manuel Rodriguez Arrequi, an undersecretary of the Mexican Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes, or SCT, the Mexican counterpart to the U.S. Department of Transportation.

According to the May 1 release, the Mexican Senate gave approval April 24 for the SCT to finalize negotiations with DOT to set the operating terms regarding what is now being called a "Cross-Border Demonstration Project."

The news release also stated that as a result of a series of meetings held between April 19 and 27, an agreement had been signed between SCT head Luis Téllez and his counterpart, U.S. Secretary of Transportation Mary Peters, formalizing the terms under which the project will be conducted.

According to the press release, SCT and DOT have agreed that 25 permissions each will be given to U.S. trucking companies and Mexican companies to begin cross-border operations July 15.

Subsequently, 25 additional permissions will be given in each country for additional trucking companies to begin cross-border operations, with the expectation that all 100 permissions will be issued in each country by Oct.15.

Arrequi also told reporters that under the Cross-Border Demonstration Project, FAST/C-TPAT (Free and Secure Trade Program and Customs Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) lanes would be expanded for electronic cross-border truck traffic.

WND previously reported a main goal of the Mexican truck test would be to see if Mexican trucks can enter the U.S. with electronic screening that would permit a 15-second border crossing.

WND also has reported Peters' announcement that Mexican trucks would enter the U.S. under the test at the same time U.S. trucks were permitted to enter Mexico.

Yet, WND can find no posting on the websites of either DOT or the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the FMCSA, of any new agreement signed between SCT and DOT.

WND reported Tuesday that DOT and FMCSA are refusing to return WND phone calls to answer questions, including whether a new signed agreement exists with Mexico to implement the Cross-Border Demonstration Project.

WND also has reported the White House continues to press forward with the Mexican truck test, despite the apparent scrambling DOT and FMCSA have made to answer objections from the trucking industry, from Congress and from the public over the test since the initial Feb. 23 announcement.

Key program elements remain cloudy. WND documented, for instance, that no criminal database exists on a national level in Mexico to verify Mexican drivers admitted in the test have no criminal basis.

Do we have a list of the members of Congress who are fighting this sham?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sis: Off the top of my head (eg. without researching this beforehand) I know that Reps Nancy Boyda (D-KS) in conjunction with Pete DeFazio (D-OR), and I think with another Republican (Walter Jones? Ted Poe? ...not sure) are trying to field a bill that would essentially make the USDoT have to submit the plan for detailed public comment as well as not allow full implementation until more detailed studies of the effects have been done.

I'll go chase down the HR number and more info in just a sec.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We need a succinct LIST for ACTION concerning this horrible situation.

We have the power to support those in Congress who are fighting it.

Phred, if you can make a list, we can add the contact info for next week.
    Let's knock the traitors around a bit more, eh?

More info - from: http://www.teamsterstakeaction.org/camp ... can_trucks

(They have a 'canned' online petition / message form, just like NumbersUSA and others also:

"Rep. Nancy Boyda (D-KS) has opened a second front in our battle by introducing the “Safe American Roads Act of 2007” (HR 1773).

This bill would prohibit the Department of Transportation from granting authority to Mexican motor carriers beyond the commercial zone and require compliance with all 22 safety and security requirements outlined in the 2002 Department of Transportation Appropriations Act."

Also see (below) for a detailed overview:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1773

List of Cosponsors (cut/pasted):

Rep. Neil Abercrombie [D-HI]
    Rep. Jason Altmire [D-PA]
    Rep. Michael Arcuri [D-NY]
    Rep. Brian Baird [D-WA]
    Rep. Leonard Boswell [D-IA]
    Rep. Corrine Brown [D-FL]
    Rep. Russ Carnahan [D-MO]
    Rep. Christopher Carney [D-PA]
    Rep. Emanuel Cleaver [D-MO]
    Rep. Jerry Costello [D-IL]
    Rep. Geoff Davis [R-KY]
    Rep. Lincoln Davis [D-TN]
    Rep. Peter DeFazio [D-OR]
    Rep. Jo Ann Emerson [R-MO]
    Rep. Michael Ferguson [R-NJ]
    Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin [D-SD]
    Rep. Brian Higgins [D-NY]
    Rep. Peter Hoekstra [R-MI]
    Rep. Tim Holden [D-PA]
    Rep. Steve Kagen [D-WI]
    Rep. Marcy Kaptur [D-OH]
    Rep. Tom Lantos [D-CA]
    Rep. Steven LaTourette [R-OH]
    Rep. Daniel Lipinski [D-IL]
    Rep. Frank LoBiondo [R-NJ]
    Rep. Betty McCollum [D-MN]
    Rep. Michael Michaud [D-ME]
    Rep. Candice Miller [R-MI]
    Rep. Harry Mitchell [D-AZ]
    Rep. Patrick Murphy [D-PA]
    Rep. John Murtha [D-PA]
    Rep. Grace Napolitano [D-CA]
    Rep. James Oberstar [D-MN]
    Rep. Nick Rahall [D-WV]
    Rep. Timothy Ryan [D-OH]
    Rep. Heath Shuler [D-NC]
    Rep. Ike Skelton [D-MO]
    Rep. Mark Udall [D-CO]
    Rep. Timothy Walz [D-MN]
    Rep. Charles Wilson [D-OH]
    Cosponsorship information sometimes is out of date.

[33 Dems, 7 Repubs]

Standing by.
    "This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Standing by.
    Thanx FAYE..........we're going to need all hands pulling the load for the next weeks with the kitchen sink being thrown at the American people from all directions.

The more they throw, the stronger & more determined I get!

I wonder what has happened with the law suit the teamsters filed?
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I don't know if this will help!Passes the house transportation com. overwhelmingly on May 2nd

Teamsters Home > Press Release
    Press Release
    Teamsters Applaud Rep. Defazio on Cross-Border Truck Bill

Legislation to Toughen Safety Standards for Cross-Border Trucks Passes Overwhelmingly in Key House Committee

Leslie Miller
    (202) 624-8734

May 2, 2007

(Washington, D.C.) – A bill to protect the American traveling public from unsafe Mexican trucks was passed unanimously by the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee today.

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters supports the measure sponsored by Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., to force Mexican trucks to meet safety and security standards before they’re allowed to travel beyond the narrow border zone.

The bill toughens the safety reporting and evaluation requirements for the pilot program announced by the Bush administration on February 23. It compels the Transportation Department to extend it for three years before throwing open the borders to unfettered truck travel deep into the United States.

“The pilot program described yesterday by Transportation Secretary Mary Peters has holes in it you could drive a truck through,” said Teamsters President Jim Hoffa. “Nowhere does the Bush administration state that every truck must be physically inspected before being allowed to travel freely throughout the U.S. Nowhere does it describe what criteria will be used to judge the program a failure or a success.

“We’ve been saying all along that this is an extremely unpopular program, and the fact that every Democrat and Republican present on the Transportation Committee voted for this bill proves it,” Hoffa said.

The Teamsters, along with several other groups, filed suit last month to block the Bush administration’s effort to implement a 2001 NAFTA order.

The DeFazio bill is a substitute for a measure sponsored by Rep. Nancy Boyda, D-Kans., which the Teamsters also supported.

Founded in 1903, the Teamsters Union represents more than 1.4 million hardworking men and women in the United States and Canada.

http://www.teamster.org/07news/nr_070502_2.asp
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I'm here too.
    The highway goes right past my house and I drive my kids on the highway. I have everything at stake.

My phone is charging.

I believe D. Feinstien was involved in slowing the process by throwing up safety issues and wasn't Duncan Hunter involved too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast