Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by sofedup
    Having been told I'm "over-qualified" for every job under the sun, I agree there is rampant discrimination against Americans. I WOULD take half the pay I deserve but it's hard to bring this fact up - they think what's wrong with this person? I'm the best bargain you could ever find in materials engineering, and now I've been putting in applications to Starbucks and whatnot. I absolutely HAVE to get a job soon or I'll be homeless. I would gladly stay at a decent company for the rest of my career and have stated so. That should make me a better investment than an H1B. I also saw in the news yesterday that Americans are the most productive workers on the planet - the most wealth created per capita. I'm sick to death of hearing about jobs Americans "can't" or "won't" do - how in the heck did this country become a superpower if we're so dumb and lazy?
    Damn, this makes me freakin' mad. I've heard in Canada no foreigner gets a job unless no other Canadian is qualified. They should do this in the US too.
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

JAK
    I can't stand this man or his company! I wish we, Americans, could cause his company to crash here in the US.
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Microsoft and Bill Gates funds La Raza in more ways than one, nothing more needs to be said for me! BTW last week or the week before I heard on the news that there is now a new "virtual" or something computer that gives the consumers options as to which browser they want to use, Mozilla’s Firefox is a better alternative to Windows!

When these Indians (India) come over here and take American jobs they also have a way to get their families over here, mainly truck drivers, they're all over California!
    "As has happened before in our history, if you have open borders poor country governments will pay people to move here, promising them a better life in the New World"*
    George Phillies (Libertarian)

Thanks to redpony and BearFlag for your great responses to Crikey!

Quote Originally Posted by Crikey
    Quote Originally Posted by imblest

Not the point. My point was "Why wouldn't Americans want to stay longer?" My husband would LOVE a little job security!
    You misunderstood me. The issue isn't whether Americans want to stay longer or not. Its just that they have the freedom to change jobs any time they like, something which H1-Bs do not have. For e.g if you are working in a job for a year and you find a nice job that pays 20% more, you would probably change over to the new company. An H1-B, particularly somebody locked into a multi-year green card process would not even think about it because it would mean having to start the whole long process again. This is what companies exploit and quite naturally. They know that H1-Bs are more likely to stay on even when they may have other options. They would also work harder as a precaution and would also be less likely to demand raises etc. Its just economics and has nothing to do with discrimination against Americans. The irony is that these restrictions placed on foreign H1-B workers actually end up hurting American workers. This is what usually happens when the free market is compromised. Note that immigrants with green cards do not have the same appeal to companies because they are free to move as well.

I can see why you are upset but it has nothing to do with any deliberate discrimination against Americans, it is all economic.
    I am too backed up to write more but I will when I get a chance.
    I think you are being deliberately obtuse. Many US citizens can't get that first good job, much less the one that you think will follow with a 20% raise. Jobs with those type raises don't exist anymore for US citizens. Sorry, I have no sympathy for someone who is "locked" into a good job.

Okay, Crikey, so you read the first couple of sentences in my last post--now go back and read the rest of it. It counters your argument of "no DELIBERATE discrimination." Answer me this--if there isn't deliberate discrimination against US citizens, then why are there so many of them having trouble finding good jobs in certain fields, e.g the IT industry? Are they just running around lying about not being able to get a decent job? (And let me clarify, a job that pays $40,000 annually with medical insurance would be a Godsend in my book!)

The irony is that these restrictions placed on foreign H1-B workers actually end up hurting American workers. This is what usually happens when the free market is compromised.
    Okay, so if H1Bs could change jobs, it would be better for US citizens? How about if H1Bs don't get jobs at all until citizens are employed? Would you rather see that happen? I would be happy if US citizens were given an honest chance at a job making what the H1Bs make, but if a US citizen indicates a willingness to work for those wages, employers look at them as if they have something wrong with them.

And if you can't give me the respect of reading my whole post and responding to all of it, I won't be dignifying anymore of yours with a response. I have other things to do.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234