Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

More than 300 arrests made in L.A. area.

More than 300 L.A.-area arrests made in crackdown on immigration violations

In California, the three-week operation led to the arrest of more than 900 immigrants, most of whom committed crimes, ignored deportation orders or returned to the U.S. after removal, officials say.

By Anna Gorman,
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    May 27, 2008
    In an ongoing push to deport immigration violators, federal officers have arrested more than 300 immigrants in the Los Angeles area in the last three weeks.

The statewide operation resulted in the arrests of more than 900 immigrants, most of whom committed crimes, ignored deportation orders or returned to the U.S. after being removed, according to federal authorities. Half of those arrested have since been deported to their native countries, authorities said.
    Immigration and Customs Enforcement has regularly sent out "fugitive operations" teams since the program's inception in 2003, but this was the first time all 13 teams in California had traveled the state together, said Brian DeMore, acting field office director of detention and removal operations in Los Angeles. A total of 905 immigrants were arrested, including 327 in Los Angeles and surrounding counties.
    "Overall it was a great success," DeMore said.
    Immigrants rights advocates criticized the operation, saying that many non-criminals were swept up. During the operation, from May 5 to May 23, arrestees included dozens who did not have criminal records or outstanding deportation orders.

"This is one of the most shameful things our government is doing,"
    said Angelica Salas, executive director of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles.
    "In many instances they don't get the people they are looking for, so one of the things they do to up their numbers is arrest bystanders."

Advocates also say that the immigrants' criminal records may be from decades earlier and that they are now working, paying taxes and contributing to society. Some were green card holders whose residence was revoked because of the crimes.

DeMore said the arrests are not random, but based on investigation. The teams target immigrants who may be a threat to national security or public safety. In the Los Angeles area, 244 of the people arrested had criminal records, ignored judges' orders or illegally reentered the country after deportation, according to the agency.

Immigration officials said among those arrested was a previously deported Mexican who was convicted in the 1990s of lewd and lascivious acts with a child under 14, and a Briton with convictions for burglary, robbery and forgery who had been ordered deported.

"The officers in the field are focused on arresting fugitives and criminals and use discretion during their operations," DeMore said.

Some of those who had returned to the U.S. after being deported will be referred to the U.S. attorney's office for possible prosecution, he said. The people arrested were from throughout Mexico and Central America, as well as from countries in Europe and Asia.

There are 75 fugitive operations teams in the nation, and Congress has authorized adding 29 for fiscal year 2008-2009. Locally, Immigration and Customs Enforcement plans to add a team in the San Fernando Valley and one in the Inland Empire.

anna.gorman@latimes.com
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 2588.story
    ------------------------

MW
    ONLY 900 in three weeks. Heck, I've heard it said that a man couldn't walk 20 feet down a public sidewalk in L.A. without passing an illegal alien.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

WOW. That's great. Things are happening. I hope this will continue. I wonder if this will continue if Obama gets elected.

MW
    yongmi wrote:

I wonder if this will continue if Obama gets elected.
    If Obama is elected, he and the Demcrat controlled U.S. Congress will reduce the number of illegal immigrants in this country by at least 20 million within his first year of office. Unfortunately, I don't think you would care for his method (amnesty).

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

[quote]MW"wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by "
    If Obama is elected, he and the Demcrat controlled U.S. Congress [quote:31cavp0f]will reduce the number of illegal immigrants in this country by at least 20 million
    within his first year of office. Unfortunately, I don't think you would care for his method (amnesty). [/quote:31cavp0f]

that would only be temporary,,,,,,,
    Amnesty is another "Illegal Immigration Invitation"
    ------------------------

MW, Obama has dreams of dramatically changing this country by turning it into a giant melting pot with Mexico. He is arguably the most potentially dangerous man that this country will have ever seen. Americans need to sit up and take notice. He is only a breath away from becoming President.

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    yongmi wrote:

I wonder if this will continue if Obama gets elected.
    If Obama is elected, he and the Demcrat controlled U.S. Congress will reduce the number of illegal immigrants in this country by at least 20 million within his first year of office. Unfortunately, I don't think you would care for his method (amnesty).
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

MW
    TexasBorn wrote:

He is arguably the most potentially dangerous man that this country will have ever seen.
    You'll get no argument from me. I too believe he is the most dangerous of the three serious candidates.

I'll second that!
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBorn
    MW, Obama has dreams of dramatically changing this country by turning it into a giant melting pot with Mexico. He is arguably the most potentially dangerous man that this country will have ever seen. Americans need to sit up and take notice. He is only a breath away from becoming President.
    I agree with you, but you could sub in the name McVain there, and it would be exactly the freeking same.

If Obummer were president this would be classified as a "hate" crime and the officers involved punished accordingly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast