Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Nancy Pelosi Will Run for House Minority Leader

After Bruising Midterm Elections, Pelosi Determined to Lead Democrats in 112th Congress
    Outgoing Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi announced this afternoon that she is running to become the House Minority Leader in the next session of Congress, dispelling rumors that she planned to resign from House Democratic leadership or retire from Congress.

Pelosi, D-California, explained her decision in a letter the House Democrats, and revealed she has been widely encouraged to seek the post.

"Many of our colleagues have called with their recommendations on how to continue our fight for the middle class, and have encouraged me to run for House Democratic Leader," Pelosi said. "Based on those discussions, and driven by the urgency of protecting health care reform, Wall Street reform, and Social Security and Medicare, I have decided to run."

Pelosi, the first female Speaker of the House in U.S. history, told her Democratic colleagues that they must work together to ensure that Republicans do not overturn the legislation Democrats have passed during the last four years under Democratic control of the House.

"We have no intention of allowing our great achievements to be rolled back. It is my hope that we can work in a bipartisan way to create jobs and strengthen the middle class," Pelosi said. "Our work is far from finished. As a result of Tuesday's election, the role of Democrats in the 112th Congress will change, but our commitment to serving the American people will not." In the letter, Pelosi asked for the support of each of her House Democratic colleagues and invited them to share their thoughts on the leadership race.

"I am writing to respectfully request your support and I look forward to hearing your views. Please let me know what you are thinking," Pelosi said.

Pelosi served as minority leader from 2003 until 2007, when Democrats seized control of the House after the congressional midterm elections.

In an exclusive ABC News interview with Speaker Pelosi the day after the election, Pelosi told Diane Sawyer that she had not made up her mind.

I'll have a conversation with my caucus, I'll have a conversation with my family, and pray over it, and decide how to go forward," she said Wednesday. So far, Speaker Pelosi does not have any opposition for the post, although Rep. Heath Shuler, D-North Carolina, has said if she did decide to run for minority leader, he would challenge her. Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, has also called for new leadership at the top of the House Democratic caucus, although it's unclear whether he would challenge her himself.

Battle Brewing for Minority Whip?
    After news broke that Pelosi would seek the minority leader post, current House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., said he would run to stay on as Pelosi's No. 2.

"Mr. Hoyer has received a lot of support from members over the last few days asking him to stay as part of leadership," Katie Grant, communications director for the Office of the Majority Leader, said. "He will spend the next few days talking to members and getting their thoughts on him being minority whip."

The current majority whip, Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., also said this afternoon that he will run for minority whip, creating a potentially ugly battle for the House Democrats' second-ranking leadership post in the minority.

"I am confident we can rebuild the coalition that carried Democrats and President Obama into office in 2008 and that it will lead us on the road back to the majority in 2012."

Some republicans predicting that if Pelosi is successful in her run for minority leader, it will lead to more House Democrats' losing in the 2012 elections.

"Given that there are now 60-plus defeated Democrat House members urgently seeking jobs due to Nancy Pelosi's failed leadership, we welcome her decision to run for House minority leader based on her proven ability to create jobs for Republican lawmakers," Ken Spain, communications director at the National Republican Congressional Committee, said.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result. Of course, if House Democrats are willing to sacrifice more of their members in 2012 for the glory of Nancy Pelosi, we are happy to oblige them."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/outgoing ... d=12067617

This woman just can't take" NO" for an answer. "No more, for you Behar!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Work for the middle class huh. They promote class warfare in this administration. What is wrong with supporting the poor and rich. They need support too. This is America and we are all in this together, not just the middle class. I cannot wait until this administration is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish this had been 2012 and Obamadinajad was voted OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a sick kind of way, Nancy Pelosi is a gift to conservatives. People are so repelled by her and her policies that they push aside the progressive agenda and lean conservative. She's one of the reasons Repubs did so well in the recent elections.
    ________

Exit Stage (Far) Left, Cont’d

November 5, 2010 2:37 P.M. By Daniel Foster
    By now you’ve seen that soon-to-be-ex-Speaker Pelosi has announced, via Twitter, that she will stand for election as House minority leader.

“Driven by the urgency of creating jobs & protecting [health-care reform], [Wall Street reform], Social Security & Medicare, I am running for Dem Leaderâ€
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Say goodbye to working togther if this witch gets picked. Heath Shuler is a much better choise. Just say NO to San Fran Nan!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

As she's already hated by 60% of Americans the Dems have nothing to lose by letting her take the flack. imo

I have heard today on the news that the Democrats are not going to allow her that position
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

http://www.entexion.com/2010/11/05/pelo ... ts-object/

Pelosi wants leadership post; some Democrats object
    Pelosi running for minority leader

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

NEW: President expected to react positively to her bid
    Speaker feels her work is not finished
    A Pennsylvania moderate says he won't support Pelosi
    Rep. James Clyburn wants to be minority whip in the new Congress
    Washington (CNN) -- Outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who said Friday she will run for minority leader in the new Congress, appears to be getting tacit support from the White House.

The speaker's Democratic colleagues, meanwhile, began lining up in support or opposition to her candidacy.

"Many of our colleagues have called with their recommendations on how to continue our fight for the middle class, and have encouraged me to run for House Democratic Leader," Pelosi said in a written statement. "Based on those discussions, and driven by the urgency of protecting health care reform, Wall Street reform, and Social Security and Medicare, I have decided to run."

A senior administration official told CNN that President Barack Obama doesn't see it as his place to encourage or discourage Pelosi or anyone else from getting into a leadership race, because it's internal politics for congressional Democrats.

But the official said the president will react positively to Pelosi's bid, because she was a stalwart supporter of his agenda over the last two years. In addition, the White House is pleased she would try to protect health care reform and Wall Street reform.

A Democratic source close to Pelosi told CNN that the speaker "informed" the White House of her decision to run for Democratic leader, but "didn't consult with them beforehand."

Pelosi, who initially announced her intentions via Twitter, was going to meet with her heir apparent, Republican Rep. John Boehner, on Friday afternoon, a Democratic aide said. Boehner had no comment.

A longtime Pelosi strategist, who spoke to CNN on condition of not being identified talking about a confidential conversation, gave some insight into the decision.

"She just told me she wasn't finished," the strategist said, "and until the effects of what they have done take hold and Americans are back to work -- she has to get to work."

In the wake of Tuesday's Republican takeover of the House, Republicans will move into the majority positions in the new Congress, which convenes in January, while Democrats assume the minority positions.

Shortly after Pelosi's announcement, House Majority Whip James Clyburn announced that he would be running for minority whip. Pelosi's No. 2 man, Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer -- who is widely considered to be more moderate -- will "spend the next few days talking to [House] members and getting their thoughts on him being minority whip," according to his spokeswoman, Katie Grant.

A senior Democratic source told CNN that Hoyer is "in a nice way saying he is going to run against Clyburn."

Moderate Democratic Rep. Dan Boren of Oklahoma was the latest to urge Pelosi to step aside and not run for House minority leader. He said he would support a more centrist candidate.

"I cannot in good conscience support Nancy Pelosi as our leader," Boren told CNN. "I think that it is important for the Democratic Party to move in a new direction for the sake of our country. Democrats and Republicans need leaders who are going to work together."

Boren's public pressure for Pelosi to go follows similar comments from Democratic Reps. Heath Schuler of North Carolina and Jim Matheson of Utah, who also have said they would prefer a new, more moderate Democratic leader.

"I think based on the outcome of this election, we should all acknowledge what the American people said -- and they are looking for change. And I think when you, as a political party, suffer losses of historic proportions, it makes sense to change things up," Matheson told CNN. "Therefore, I don't think she should be running for leader."

Rep. Jason Altmire, a moderate Democrat from a conservative district in western Pennsylvania, agreed. "I am not voting for Nancy Pelosi," he said.

"I don't get the sense that Speaker Pelosi understands what happened on Tuesday. We lost middle America. The Democratic party got crushed," Altmire told CNN.

He noted that many of his fellow Democrats in districts near his lost their seats.

Despite his opposition, Altmire -- who voted against major pieces of Democratic legislation, including the health care bill -- said Pelosi will easily be victorious in her quest to be minority leader.

"Make sure she knows that we will support her," said the e-mail.

"If she runs, she will win," said one senior Democratic source.

A progressive Democrat told CNN he had talked to many of his colleagues about the situation in the past few days.

"It's fair to say that for most progressives, their visceral place was that Nancy deserves to be the leader if she wants to be, but no one would have burst into tears if she decided not to," said the congressman, who did not want to go on the record in order to protect private conversations.

The Pelosi supporter said she should not be blamed for the losses. Rather the setback was the result of a bad economy and, the supporter said, an ineffective job by the White House in selling Democratic achievements.

While Pelosi's tireless fundraising has built a reservoir of support among Democratic lawmakers, several sources within the party said there are a number of progressive Democrats also who do not want her to run. Meanwhile, Rep. John Yarmuth, a Kentucky Democrat who had been a staunch supporter of Pelosi, told a local television station that he wants Pelosi to step down as Democratic leader.

"I know that there is some thought that Nancy Pelosi may stay around," Yarmuth said Thursday. "As good a leader as she has been, I don't think she's the right leader to take us forward."

Shuler is considering challenging Pelosi if she runs, according to a number of Democratic sources. Because of the makeup of the Democratic caucus, few think he would win.

Several Democratic sources say they worry about this dragging out, especially given how public the Democrats' dispute over Pelosi's future is becoming.

On Thursday, Pelosi told the Huffington Post that she is getting a positive response from Democratic lawmakers because she has "kept the caucus together" and increased Democratic numbers in 2006 and 2008.

Matheson told CNN one of the political concerns is that it will be harder to recruit candidates to run in 2012 with Pelosi as the Democratic leader -- especially those who just lost and may want to try to get their old seats back.

Democratic Rep. Jesse L. Jackson Jr. of Illinois said he would support Pelosi's bid. "We're in a political storm, but we don't need to adopt an 'any leader in a storm' mentality," Jackson said in a statement issued Friday.

After Tuesday's losses, moderate Democrats are now a very small part of the Democratic caucus. The bigger question, according to multiple Democratic sources, is what Pelosi's fellow progressives want her to do. Americans United for Change, a progressive political organization, sent an e-mail notice to its members Friday morning asking them to send personal notes to Pelosi urging her to stay.

Rep. Jason Altmire, a moderate Democrat from a conservative district in western Pennsylvania, agreed. "I am not voting for Nancy Pelosi," he said.

"I don't get the sense that Speaker Pelosi understands what happened on Tuesday. We lost middle America. The Democratic party got crushed," Altmire told CNN.
    I like this part

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast