Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NCLR takes credit for the election: and makes a threat

http://www.nclr.org/content/news/detail/43018/

NCLR STATEMENT ON THE 2006 MIDTERM ELECTION AND BEYOND

Washington, DC – The National Council of La Raza (NCLR), the largest national Latino civil rights and advocacy organization in the U.S., today call on leaders of both political parties to work with the growing Latino electorate to bring about lasting immigration reform and progress on other key issues of concern to the Hispanic community.

“Yesterday’s results show that demonizing immigrants was not the path to victory many candidates thought it would be,” said Janet Murguía, NCLR President and CEO. “The election results indicate a wholesale repudiation of the notion that the American electorate is motivated by anti-immigrant rhetoric, policies, or campaign tactics,” she said, noting that most candidates who ran on an explicitly anti-immigrant platform were defeated. (See, for example, www.immigration2006.org.)

Pointing to the results of a poll jointly released yesterday by NCLR and the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials, Murguía stated, “These tactics did play a significant role in motivating one community – Latinos. Our community was highly engaged in this election, and I’m especially proud to say that this is particularly true of young Latino voters.” Murguía also noted that, of the young Latino voters polled, nearly half said that they or someone close to them had participated in the immigration rallies last spring.

“The congressional Republicans’ strategy to scapegoat our community failed overall, and will prove even costlier in the long run by creating a backlash among Latino voters,” she said, noting a shift of 11 percentage points in Latino support for Democrats compared to the midterm elections in 2002.

“But this issue cuts across party lines,” Murguía continued. “A year ago, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger was perceived by many to be all but dead among Latino voters, in part after making several anti-immigrant pronouncements. But he worked hard to shift his posture by, among other things, endorsing comprehensive immigration reform at the 2006 NCLR Annual Conference in July. According to exit polls, he earned at least 39% of the Hispanic vote on his way to reelection yesterday.”

“These results suggest that the 110th Congress should get back to the hard work of legislating on immigration reform and a host of other issues that matter to Hispanic Americans, including education, the economy, health care, and jobs,” said Murguía. “For most of these issues, the way to achieve results is through a bipartisan approach. We intend to work with members of both parties and the White House to produce positive results for our community, and our country,” she concluded.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Of course it had nothing to do with Bush's dismal approval ratings.

Lincoln Chaffee and Mike Dewine were weak on immigration and strong on amnesty, but that didn't save them from getting the boot. So how come the hispanics didn't come out in force to reelect them?

The Republicans didn't lose because of immigration, they lost because of Bush. Bush's arrogance and stubbornness to sticking to his failed policies despite what everyone else wanted reflected on the whole party and hence everyone paid the price.

This rhetoric about how anti illegal alien candidates can't win is just nothing, but horse excrement. If what LaRaza said was true then how come AZ approved of 4 anti illegal alien measures by large margins.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by dman1200
    Of course it had nothing to do with Bush's dismal approval ratings.

Lincoln Chaffee and Mike Dewine were weak on immigration and strong on amnesty, but that didn't save them from getting the boot. So how come the hispanics didn't come out in force to reelect them?

The Republicans didn't lose because of immigration, they lost because of Bush. Bush's arrogance and stubbornness to sticking to his failed policies despite what everyone else wanted reflected on the whole party and hence everyone paid the price.

This rhetoric about how anti illegal alien candidates can't win is just nothing, but horse excrement. If what LaRaza said was true then how come AZ approved of 4 anti illegal alien measures by large margins.
    because R's suddenly distrusted every R in the government.... not because of immigration.

i really dont like NCLR and thier spin machine. notice how the quote a biased website?

and they say that candidates who ran on immigration only lost... duh. it's not good politics to run on one issue.

because R's suddenly distrusted every R in the government.... not because of immigration.
    That and this damn war. My dad, a WWII veteran and lifelong republican, is so opposed to the war in Iraq that he admitted that he would be voting for my nemesis, Tom Carper (the D that won) even though he was fully aware of Carper's pro-illegal stance. While he isn't happy about that, at all, he is even less happy with the war and could not, in good conscience, vote for anyone who even remotely supported it. We debated these issue's, at length, but at the end of the day we had to agree to disagree. I think there are a lot of people like my dad, both R and D, out there.

That said, it absolutely sickens me that pro-illegal cheerleaders (including racist Janet Murguía), are spinning the election outcome as "proof" that that America must have comphehensive immigration reform (aka amnesty).

“But this issue cuts across party lines,” Murguía continued. “A year ago, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger was perceived by many to be all but dead among Latino voters, in part after making several anti-immigrant pronouncements. But he worked hard to shift his posture by, among other things, endorsing comprehensive immigration reform at the 2006 NCLR Annual Conference in July. According to exit polls, he earned at least 39% of the Hispanic vote on his way to reelection yesterday.”
    And what was Angelides position on comphrehensive immigration reform? More likely the legal Hispanic immigrants saw Arnold as the best chance to clear out the illegals they left Mexico to get away from.

Statement From State Treasurer Phil Angelides, L.A. Labor Federation Leader Maria Elena Durazo On The Need For Pragmatic, Compassionate Immigration Reform
    SACRAMENTO, CA - California State Treasurer and Democratic candidate for Governor Phil Angelides today issued the following statement regarding the need for comprehensive immigration reform. Next week, the U.S. Senate is expected to vote on legislation that passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee last week, with the help of Senator Dianne Feinstein.

"America is a nation of immigrants, from Ellis Island to San Diego, and my family's story is an American story. My mother is an immigrant who came here to pursue her dreams like so many others. My grandparents, on my father's side, came to America with nothing and worked hard to build a better life in this great nation. Like so many other immigrants who worked day and night just to survive, they never learned English. But my father - who earned a Distinguished Flying Cross and the United States Air Medal in World War II, fighting alongside other sons of immigrants - always reminded me that my grandparents were great Americans."

"The U.S. Senate is currently considering comprehensive immigration reform legislation. I support a pragmatic, compassionate immigration policy that moves us forward. I strongly oppose Republican Congressman Sensenbrenner's bill. Measures that are aimed at punishing families, children, businesses, and religious charitable activities are misguided and destructive.

"I support a plan that offers a path to citizenship for undocumented residents already living and working in this country who are an essential part of our economy. The bill that Senator Dianne Feinstein helped to pass out of the Senate Judiciary Committee this week is a positive step in the right direction.

"And it's far past time for President Bush to reimburse California for the costs that come from his failure to secure the border. When I am Governor, I will work with Senators Boxer and Feinstein and Leader Pelosi on this critical issue. And if we have to take George W. Bush to court in order to get what we're owed as mandated by federal law, we'll do it."

Maria Elena Durazo, interim executive secretary-treasurer of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, applauded Angelides' leadership:

"Now more than ever we need a Governor who is willing to stake a stand and support all hard working families in California - a Governor who respects the hard work of cooks, homecare workers, teachers, firefighters and nurses. Phil Angelides has proven that he is ready to take on that commitment by standing up and supporting thoughtful and comprehensive immigration reform."
    http://www.angelides.com/news/pressrele ... ation.html

Murguía once again playing up racist paranoid self importance.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)