Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Phoenix mayor says SB1070 hurts public safety, education

Phoenix mayor says SB1070 hurts public safety, education

Published March 28, 2011

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon

Tucson – State laws like Arizona's SB1070, which aims to criminalize undocumented immigrants, not only has a negative effect on the economy, but also on public safety and education, said Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon.

He said the state continues suffering the effects of the economic boycott launched after the enactment of SB1070 last year and that it continues to be reflected in the canceling of conventions and seminars.

"These cancellations affect the businesses of Hispanics and non-Hispanics alike," Gordon said after a speech at the University of Arizona in Tucson.

According to an analysis by the Washington-based Center for American Progress, the boycott has cost Arizona more than $140 million.

The Democrat, one of the first politicians to come out against the controversial law, said the legislation has caused a great lack of confidence in the police.

An immigrants' rights supporter protests in front of the Capitol Police at the State Capitol in Phoenix Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011. (AP Photo/The Arizona Republic, Jack Kurtz)

"Laws like SB1070 do not make our communities safer," the mayor said Thursday on the UA campus.

"I believe that immigrants, especially Hispanics, are afraid to report the criminals in their neighborhoods because they fear being arrested and questioned about their immigration status," Gordon, an outspoken critic of the migrant sweeps carried out by Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, said.

The mayor said that critics of illegal immigration constantly talk about how much it "costs" the state to provide public services and education for the undocumented, but forget about how much they pay in taxes.

The economic effect of SB1070 is seen in all the housing sitting empty for months, and how the domino effect is also harming businesses both big and small that have lost customers and clients.

Gordon believes that one of the biggest problems currently facing Arizona is its image, since certain companies simply stay away from the state rather than get involved in such controversial issues as immigration.

The mayor said that the failure of the federal government to approve a comprehensive immigration reform has particularly affected undocumented students.

He said that some of the most outstanding students in the fields of mathematics and engineering at Arizona State University in Phoenix are undocumented immigrants.

"I believe it is urgent for the DREAM Act to be passed - if immigration reform cannot be achieved, I believe that at least legal immigration status should be approved for such outstanding young people who only want to contribute to our society," he said.

Arizona has a state law that obliges undocumented students attending community colleges and public universities to pay tuition at the rate for foreign students.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politi ... z1Hv4bFMZj
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This Mayor is pathetic...and anyone Mayor or President who stands on the side of illegal aliens against the American people is a traitor to our Country.

Kathyet

"Last week it was $49 billion will be lost! BS!
    Now this! Illegals have abused us and America for so long now "We Don't Care!" if your having a crappy day!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gordon is a pandering OBL. JMO
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

i don't even pay attention to anything he says anymore ...

his home has already been robbed and he has to have police protection ....

people hate him ..

Quote Originally Posted by marquis
    i don't even pay attention to anything he says anymore ...

his home has already been robbed and he has to have police protection ....

people hate him ..
    "What is it with these guys, they back stab they're constituents and then run to the illegals?" And they do it from NObama on down!

State laws like Arizona's SB1070, which aims to criminalize undocumented immigrants, not only has a negative effect on the economy, but also on public safety and education, said Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon.
    What he's saying is that thousands of drivers without insurance or licenses are safe but deporting illegals is not. Illegal children in school who speak no English and/or don't want to learn are good for education, but classrooms where American children actually learn something are bad.

"I believe that immigrants, especially Hispanics, are afraid to report the criminals in their neighborhoods because they fear being arrested and questioned about their immigration status,"
    Or perhaps the ARE the criminals.

certain companies simply stay away from the state rather than get involved in such controversial issues as immigration
    Only the ones hiring illegals - reputable companies use E-Verify and are not afraid to set up shop anywhere because of immigration enforcement.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We know that the Mayor of Phoenix has a political agenda. Anything that comes out of his mouth is left wing propaganda.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have begun to get some very strange feelings and vibes about something’s occurring in this Country. Some are quite disturbing also I must admit.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast