Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rep, J, Dennis Hastert(R-ILL) bids House farewell

By CHARLES BABINGTON , Associated Press Writer
    11/15/2007
    WASHINGTON —
    Rep. J. Dennis Hastert, who served as House speaker longer than any other Republican, bade farewell to his colleagues Thursday, confirming that he will not complete his 11th term.

Hastert, 65, did not say exactly when he will resign, but indicated it will be soon. He said his speech would be his last from the House floor. The 110th Congress will end in January 2009.

He later told reporters, "I think I'll be gone by the first of the year."

In his 16-minute address, Hastert recounted his career's high points, concluding: "It's time for this legislator to return to being a private citizen."

The speech marked a rare moment of bipartisan warmth in the House. Most members attended and gave Hastert a long ovation. Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., introduced him by his old title, calling him "the distinguished speaker of the House."

Hastert told his colleagues: "My heart is still here, and always will be."

He had announced in August that he would not seek re-election in 2008, and hinted that he had little interest in staying through the end of the current Congress.

His resignation will trigger a special election in his Chicago-area district, which includes Aurora and Elgin, Ill. The winner will face re-election next November.

Democrats say they will compete for the seat, but the district clearly leans Republican.

Hastert became speaker in January 1999 after two better-known party members were forced aside by scandals and intraparty rivalries. He lost the post when Democrats regained control of the House after the 2006 elections.
    ------------------------

He'll be missed on this issue for sure. The first amnesty would have been slam dunked without his House leadership. It's going be difficult to fill the shoes of this tough son of a gun. Thanks Denny.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    loservillelabor wrote:

He'll be missed on this issue for sure. The first amnesty would have been slam dunked without his House leadership.
    You're right on both counts!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He'll be sorely missed, for sure!

The good news is that Jim Oberweis says he will be running for the vacant seat. Cross your fingers that he does too. His commercial for the governors' race was rounding up the illegals, filling soldier field with them and flying them out of our country en masse.

Thanks for everything Mr. Hastert1
    Good Luck, Jim Oberwies!
    "There's no such thing as ILLEGALalien-able rights!" REGRESO E MEXICO !

What gets me is Hastert sent me a survey six years ago. I told him that the pressing issue was our borders and illegal immigration. The Republicans poo pooed it then, as testified by Tancredo last night on Glenn Beck. They dropped the ball when they had the chance because Hastert was backing the President prior to the public speaking out in volumes. I'm sure he's done a good job but it could have been better.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm sure he's done a good job but it could have been better.
    Hey Ted Kennedy was OK on the issue until 1965.
    Don't you think most of us ignored illegal aliens until they held the big Thank You Amertica March./sarc

Hastert was there for us.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)