Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

REWARD OFFERED IN MIGRANT CAMP VANDALISM CASE

Reward offered in migrant camp vandalism case

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

MAY 9, 2007

NORTH COUNTY ---- Immigrant rights groups in North County and San Diego County Crime Stoppers said Tuesday they will announce today a reward of $10,000 for information leading to the arrest of anyone responsible for vandalism at the Rancho Penasquitos migrant camp that occurred in January.

The activists said they hope a tip stemming from the reward will help solve the case.

"What is really important to highlight is that the tips can be anonymous," said Claudia Smith, a migrant worker rights advocate with the California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation.

Smith was among the first people to call attention to the case. Vandals allegedly ripped tents, blankets, clothing, shoes and other belongings at several makeshift migrant camps in the Rancho Penasquitos area.

Migrant workers, who toil in surrounding agricultural fields, construction sites and as day laborers have lived in the camps for decades. But residents in the area and anti-illegal immigration activists have recently complained about the camps, which they say create health, crime and other problems in the community.

Bill Flores, a spokesman for El Grupo, an umbrella group of civil and Latino rights organizations, said the alleged crime was no random act of violence.

"I believe that these victims were targeted because they were Latinos and believed to be illegal immigrants," Flores said.

San Diego police have searched a Rancho Penasquitos resident's home and the homes of two anti-illegal immigration activists in connection with the investigation, but no criminal charges have been filed in connection with the case.

The home of Jeff Schwilk, founder of the anti-illegal immigration group San Diego Minutemen, was one of the houses searched. Schwilk said Tuesday that he was not involved in the alleged vandalism and that the investigation has unfairly focused on him.

"I think it's a total witch hunt," he said referring to the investigation.

Several organizations, including the California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation, La Raza Lawyers Association and El Grupo, helped raise $9,000 for the reward. Crime Stoppers had previously offered a $1,000 reward.

Monica Munoz, a spokeswoman for the San Diego Police Department, said the case is still under investigation. She said reward money can sometimes help lead to more information.

"I don't know that anyone has done a study, but I would say that it (reward money) helps get attention to the case," Munoz said.

Tips to the Crime Stoppers hotline have helped solve about 3,500 cases in San Diego County since 1984, according to the group's website, www.sdcrimestoppers.com.

Smith said rewards have also led to information in cases involving migrant workers in the past, including an attack with baseball bats against migrants in an Alpine camp and the beating of several elderly farmworkers in McGonigle Canyon nearly seven years ago.

Representatives of El Grupo and other organizations are scheduled to present a check to Crime Stoppers outside the San Diego Police Department's headquarters in San Diego at 11:30 a.m.

Anyone with information can call the toll-free Crime Stoppers tip line at (88 580-8477.

Contact staff writer Edward Sifuentes at (760) 740-3511 or esifuentes@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/05 ... 5_9_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    S wrote on May 9, 2007 09:16 am:

" Has the $10K come from the ... billions sent back to Mexico each year untaxed??? This vandalism is uncalled for and I hope the person is caught. However, we the taxpaying American are the real victims "

Who's America? wrote on May 9, 2007 09:16 am:

" Why doesn't some kind hearted organization protect property owners by offering a reward to those who can identify the locations of illegal migrants squatting on private property? Especially in these red flag, high fire danager conditions, we should be aware of where these migrant camps are located, so we can allocate our firefighting resources appropriately. Why don't health and human services organizations offer property owners upon whose land migrant camps are discovered, some type of financial assistance to clean up the human, biological, and other waste that can potentially contaminate our water and soil? Why doesn't fish and game inspect these migrant camps in order to determine whether endangered or other protected species are being displaced by migrant camps? Just who did the EIRs before migrant camps were able to establish their locations? "

Real Citizen wrote on May 9, 2007 09:23 am:

" Interesting.......maybe these same groups can offer a reward for illegals vandalzing out borders! "

Concerned-1 wrote on May 9, 2007 09:24 am:

" Talk about foggy logic! A reward for vandalism? Let's see, were not the illegal campers committing vandalisim on private property? Not to mention sustaining a public safety/public health hazzard. I won't even go in to the drug/prostitution etc. Now I ask you Claudia and Flores, where is the crime? "

Sick Of It wrote on May 9, 2007 09:27 am:

" The NCTimes have done it again! The bias on behalf of the ILLEGALS is appalling! No one advocates vandalism, but for goodness sake, perhaps if these Illegal Squatters didn't choose to tresspass and violate the laws of this country, their belongings would be safe because the money they make would go back into the American economy and could pay for rent on a home with doors that lock, rather then send all the money back to where their real homes are in Mexico! Say! I have had my fence vandalised on several occasions recently and I'd really like to find the criminals who did it! Perhaps, CRLAF, LRLA, and El Grupo and CrimeStoppers could raise money for a reward to catch the thugs that keep on spray painting the graffetti up and down my street. Oh, what a minute, the gang writing is from a local Latino gang, so they probably would only want pay for their defense from justice!!.....I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK!! "

I wish I knew who did this....... wrote on May 9, 2007 09:37 am:

" I woyld drop a dime on my own mother for $10,000. "

EL GRUPO FAN wrote on May 9, 2007 09:43 am:

" Excellent. Let's find out who the felons were that did those dastardly deeds and PROSECUTE THEM and PUT THEM IN PRISON where they belong!! The cowardly bullies deserve that. I am encouraged by the reward being offered and also by the increasing number of churches signing onto the SANTCUARY MOVEMENT to help the migrants!! "

EL GRUPO FAN wrote on May 9, 2007 09:53 am:

" Excellent. Let's find out who the felons were that did those dastardly deeds and PROSECUTE THEM and PUT THEM IN PRISON where they belong!! The cowardly bullies deserve that. I am encouraged by the reward being offered and also by the increasing number of churches signing onto the SANCTUARY MOVEMENT to help the migrants!! "

Bravo!!! wrote on May 9, 2007 09:54 am:

" Good job to the groups involved in raising this money. It is an important issue and it must be resolved. Jeff Schwilk calls the investigation "a witch hunt". I think the police are always right and when they have a suspect they have pretty good reason to suspect him. I think the police will catch the perpetrators of this crime and I am certain that an arrest and conviction will follow. I think the "witch hunt" card is played out with this group. I hope to see justice for these individuals regardless of their immigration status they are still human beings. "

John wrote on May 9, 2007 09:55 am:

" I hope they can try and convict the criminal vigilantes for this ASAP. Maybe, just maybe, someday that will send a message to their hateful supporters. "

Turn em in wrote on May 9, 2007 10:10 am:

" Someone out there, knows who did this. Do the right thing and tell the police! "

AEQUITAS wrote on May 9, 2007 10:12 am:

" Wonderful! Let's hope they catch the criminals who did the vandalism! I agree with El Grupo that a reward will help find the offenders so they can be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I also am encouraged by the story today in the Trib telling how the sanctuary movement among churches is growing. The migrants need aid and assistance. There are many ways under existing law to legalize the paperless migrant. So let's do it!! Meanwhile, when all the political posturing is done, legalization with a path to naturalization will be enacted together with a mechanism to bring the migrants' families up here too!! "

Great Job!!!!! wrote on May 9, 2007 10:21 am:

" I am so happy to hear this news. I know that an arrest is unevitable and this will sure help spur some leads. I am sure someone will come forward with the truth not just for the money but for goodness sake. "

Sick of It wrote on May 9, 2007 10:23 am:

" Why hasn't my comment been posted? Why are there only Pro-Illegal Immigrant comments up? Did you not received my earlier comment? If not, Here it is:The NCTimes have done it again! The bias on behalf of the ILLEGALS is appalling! No one advocates vandalism, but for goodness sake, perhaps if these Illegal Squatters didn't choose to tresspass and violate the laws of this country, their belongings would be safe because the money they make would go back into the American economy and could pay for rent on a home with doors that lock, rather then send all the money back to where their real homes are in Mexico! Say! I have had my fence vandalised on several occasions recently and I'd really like to find the criminals who did it! Perhaps, CRLAF, LRLA, and El Grupo and CrimeStoppers could raise money for a reward to catch the thugs that keep on spray painting the graffetti up and down my street. ... "

Can't believe it wrote on May 9, 2007 10:28 am:

" I'm sure they call themselve law abiding, God fearing citizens, yet the majority of the comments here are from hatefilled xenophobes who seemingly abandon the morality they usually are shoving down our throats to somehow ignore or even justify these acts of terrorism...yes, I said terrorism...the perpetrators should be in a Guantanamo Bay prison, along with their supporters! "

AID THE MIGRANTS wrote on May 9, 2007 10:34 am:

" These useless and unused pieces of land should be EXPROPRIATED from the owners for an indefinite period to facilitate camps for the migrants! The migrants should be given tents and sanitary facilities on those parcels to allow them to have decent housing until such time as they can be legalized and naturalized and blended into the economy!! Also, they should have police protection, like any other community has!! "

Two wrongs wrote on May 9, 2007 10:42 am:

" Don't make a right. Fine the vandals, deport the ilegals. Witch hunt card played out? Give me a break, it is ultra low miles compared to the race card. "

NO TRESPASSING wrote on May 9, 2007 11:00 am:

" Yes, I agree, with the land expropriated the migrants could not be falsely accused of trespassing! In the distant future, after the migrants have been assimilated completely into our economy and have moved on to bigger and better things, then, and only then, the land could be returned to the original "owners." Even though the true owners are Mexicans from whom the land was stolen by the USA in 1848!!! "

ACWHHE wrote on May 9, 2007 11:02 am:

" I would really like to see SDPD focus on crimes such as gang violence and child prostitution. This whole migrant vandalism thing was unfortunate, but lets move on. I could see following it up had someone been injured. Migrants are people too, but enough is enough. It really bothers me that People like Claudia Smith aren't focusing on helping these migrants get legal citizenship, rather than supporting them in destroying the enviroment and living outside like animals. Claudia, take your passion to help these guys to a higher level. God bless. "

To Two wrongs!!! wrote on May 9, 2007 11:12 am:

" I marvel at your ignorance! Fine the vandals, eh... they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and all law abiding citizens should be all up in arms about this hate crime. I hope that we are not at a place where hate crimes are acceptable. Please don't tell me that we are in a place where we do not and will not condone crime if it perpetrated by someone who at the time I happen to agree with their political position. Crime is crime and if want the laws to apply to the illegal immigrants than the laws must apply to all. No one is above the law even Jeff Schwilk and his band of merry men oh I mean minutemen. I think whoever wrote the comment about the witch hunt card being played out is completely correct as that has been used as a defense by Jeff Schwilk more than once, more than twice, well I guess I could go on and on and on. "

Doug wrote on May 9, 2007 11:12 am:

" If they were on my proptery, I would have done the same thing. there are more important things to worry about than some illegals' belongings. And to bravo, "the police are always right"...get your head out of the sand. "

EXPROPRIATED?? wrote on May 9, 2007 11:15 am:

" Take someone's land and give it to people in this country illegally? How about we have the government come take all of your belongings and give them to the migrants? Better yet, put 10 in your living room. "

To ACWHHE wrote on May 9, 2007 11:21 am:

" Are you actually saying the migrant workers are responsible for gang violence? Please give me a break. Child Prostitution? Please give me another break! I believe that if those things were really happening in the migrant camps the SDPD would be all over it to make arrests and stop it but those allegations are just that allegations that do not hold any ounce of truth. If you are so concerned about the environment and concerned about these people living outside like animals why not lend a hand to help get these guys "to a higher level" your words not mine. Finally I am sure that you want this "migrant vandalism thing" to go away but it will not. I commend Claudia Smith and Bill Flores for continuing to move towards closure and justice for this crime. God Bless you too. "

REASONABLENESS wrote on May 9, 2007 11:25 am:

" I hope that reason and justice prevail in this case. From the older teens who were convicted of beating and maiming elderly migrants to the criminals who vandalized the possessions of the poor, hard working immigrants there is a broad spectrum of hate fueled by the racists and wannabe Klu Klux Klan types. It's time to make it clear that vigilanteism and felonious acts of aggression will NOT be tolerated!! "

Slab wrote on May 9, 2007 11:40 am:

" What a joke! These"migrants" ought to prosecuted for trespassing. What about the waste, feces, trash that they made at the site? Who will pick that up? The $10k should go to the property owner as compensation! "

Now that is what I call putting your money where your mouth is!!!!!! wrote on May 9, 2007 11:42 am:

" These folks seem determined to get the people responsible for this exhibition of hatred. I am encouraged that the Latino community came together, united and raised the money to solve this crime. Congratulations are in order! I hope the truth comes out and those responsible are held to pay for their crime. "

Veteran wrote on May 9, 2007 11:43 am:

" I would rather the reward be offered to pinpoint more employers that are hiring these illegal aliens. That alone would clear up much more vandalism that what is being portrayed here as a major disaster. Illegal immigration is the culprit here; and the gutless law enforcement agencies responsible for controlling this problem. "

Top Hat wrote on May 9, 2007 11:58 am:

" Valid point, Slab. Your insight, as usual, displays an astonishing degree of immense perspicacity. The title holder should be compensated for the costs of cleanup. "

The ONLY person who wrote on May 9, 2007 12:00 pm:

" deserves a reward is the person who cleans out the canyons of all the trespassing ILLEGAL ALIENS. I think that we taxpayers and homeowners should SUE the builders who allowed these ILLEGAL ALIENS to squat! "

Sorry sick of it. wrote on May 9, 2007 12:03 pm:

" The NCT and Sifuentes are so biased they will do and print anything to further the cause of CRIMINAL ILLEGAL ALIENS. That includes not printing comments that disagree with them. Oh they print them, but rarely. "

tiredof wrote on May 9, 2007 12:03 pm:

" well im really tired of people braging on the immigrants...news flash people you all immigrated her excluding the native americans..so please can we stop being ignorant and leave the immigrants alone . thank you "

Smoke and Mirrors wrote on May 9, 2007 12:04 pm:

" I glad that the SDPD are looking past the smoke and mirrors that the suspects in this case are using to claim .......WWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHH this is a witch hunt, boo hoo!! If you did this to the property of others than you should be prosecuted for it. It can not be true that some of us can commit a crime and not be held responsible for it. Justice is a beautiful thing. "

To Top Hat wrote on May 9, 2007 12:09 pm:

" Yes I agree and the vandals should be forced to compensate the illegal immigrants for the damage to their property in addition to a very long stay in prison. "

Concerned-1 wrote on May 9, 2007 12:18 pm:

" Anybody who does not see the inherent danger in migrants living in the canyons and hills is nuts. The issue here is not race, but the right to live as an American citizen. Illegal immigrints, and their sympathizers, are ruining the quality of life in this country. "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

This reward is going to do about as much good as the sheriff of Nottingham putting out notices for Robin Hood's arrest.

God forbid the SD police prosecute any of the other crimes which have been going in that canyon. The SD and SOS group proved there was prostitution going on and they have done nothing.

On a side note, my current college prof. recently came from San Diego, and she said one of the main reasons she came was largely due to the corrupt police force.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.