Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Romney Record: Immigration

http://www.mittromney.com/News/Press-Re ... mmigration

The Romney Record: Immigration
    Friday, May 18, 2007
    FACT: As Governor Of Massachusetts, Governor Romney Took Action To Enforce Immigration Laws.

ENFORCEMENT: In December 2006, Governor Romney Signed A Memorandum Of Agreement With The Federal Government To Allow State Troopers To Enforce Federal Immigration Laws. "Governor Mitt Romney and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Assistant Secretary Julie L. Myers today announced the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and ICE, which will give specially trained Massachusetts State Troopers the authority to administer and enforce federal immigration laws in the Commonwealth. " (Office Of The Governor, "Governor Romney, ICE Sign Immigration Enforcement Pact," Press Release, 12/13/06)

IN-STATE TUITION: Governor Romney Vetoed In-State Tuition For Illegal Immigrants. "Romney also vetoed a number of outside sections of the budget, including:...A plan that would have permitted illegal aliens to pay the same in-state tuition rate at our public colleges and universities as Massachusetts citizens." (Office Of The Governor, "Romney Signs $22.402B Fiscal Year 2005 'No New Tax' Budget," Press Release, 6/25/04)

ENGLISH IMMERSION: Governor Romney Fought Efforts To Weaken Massachusetts' English Immersion Law. "But yesterday, Romney press secretary Shawn Feddeman said the governor will fight all attempts to slow the implementation of English immersion, known on the ballot as Question 2. ... 'He will veto anything that weakens or delays English immersion,' Feddeman said." (Anand Vaishnav, "Romney Firm On English Timetable," The Boston Globe, 1/24/03)

- In June 2002, Mitt Romney Said "The Approach Of English Immersion Is One That I Support. ... I Would Make English Immersion The Educational Norm For All Non-Native English Speakers." (John McElhenny, "Mitt Romney Endorses 'English Immersion' Education Plan," The Associated Press, 6/4/02)

DRIVER'S LICENCES: Governor Romney Opposed Efforts To Give Driver's Licenses To Illegal Immigrants. "'Those who are here illegally should not receive tacit support from our government that gives an indication of legitimacy,' the governor said, echoing arguments that opponents have voiced in the Commonwealth and in other states considering similar license measures. 'If they are here illegally, they should not get driver's licenses,' he said." (Scott S. Greenberger, "Romney Stand Dims Chances Of License For Undocumented," The Boston Globe, 10/28/03)

FACT: Governor Romney Would Take Action To Secure The Borders Through Physical And Virtual Fences.

Governor Romney: "In my view, there are several principles that need to be part of our immigration plan. First, to secure the border..." (Governor Mitt Romney, Interview On The Northern Alliance Radio Network, 1/27/07)

Governor Romney: "You've got to have a wall or fence or electronic surveillance. You have got to make sure we secure our border, that's first." (Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor," 9/19/06)

FACT: Governor Romney Supports Strong Reforms To Stop Illegal Immigration And Encourage Legal Immigration.

Governor Romney: "The current system puts up a concrete wall to the best and brightest, yet those without skill or education are able to walk across the border. We must reform the current immigration laws so we can secure our borders, implement a mandatory biometrically-enabled and tamper-proof documentation and employment-verification system, and increase legal immigration into America." (David Yepsen, Op-Ed, "So Far, Romney's Been Most Impressive Republican," Des Moines Register, 7/11/06)

FACT: Governor Romney Opposes The McCain-Kennedy Bill And Any Form Of Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants.

Governor Romney: "McCain-Kennedy Isn't The Answer." "Another aspect of American sovereignty is the security of our borders. The current system is a virtual concrete wall against those who have skill and education, but it's a wide-open walk across the border for those that have neither. McCain-Kennedy isn't the answer. As governor, I took a very different approach. I authorized our state police to enforce federal immigration laws." (Governor Mitt Romney, Remarks At The Conservative Political Action Conference, Washington, D.C., 3/2/07)

FACT: Governor Romney Supports A Strong Employer-Verification System That Includes A Tamper Proof Worker Verification Card.

Governor Romney: "First, to secure the border, number two, have an employment verification system. This would be a card - a biometric card - that people who are not citizens would have and before an employer hires a non citizen they would have to look at the card, type in a number on a computer, and get verification from the federal government that this person is eligible for work in the U.S. If they hired someone not so eligible that company would be fined just like not paying taxes." (Governor Mitt Romney, Interview On The Northern Alliance Radio Network, 1/27/07)

FACT: Governor Romney Supports Empowering Local And State Authorities To Enforce Federal Immigration Laws.

Governor Romney Believes More State And Local Police Agencies Should Work With The Federal Government To Enforce Immigration Laws. "Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney said Tuesday that more state and local police agencies ought to consider making deals with the federal government to have their officers trained in enforcing elements of federal immigration law. ... 'I think it's a good idea for us to communicate that we intend to enforce our laws,' Romney said." (Jacques Billeaud, "Romney: More State, Local Police Should Get Immigration Training," The Associated Press, 3/13/07)

And McCain's record? Oh yeah, I forgot: AMNESTY FOR ILLEGALS and open borders!!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Banned
    Governor Romney: "First, to secure the border, number two, have an employment verification system. This would be a card - a biometric card - that people who are not citizens would have and before an employer hires a non citizen they would have to look at the card, type in a number on a computer, and get verification from the federal government that this person is eligible for work in the U.S. If they hired someone not so eligible that company would be fined just like not paying taxes." (Governor Mitt Romney, Interview On The Northern Alliance Radio Network, 1/27/07)
    Question... How does an employer tell if the applicant is or isn't a citizen?

Wouldn't this requirement ultimately lead to ALL employees having to have this 'RealID' card?

This is the problem that I have with Mr. Romney's 'plan'.

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys
    This is the problem that I have with Mr. Romney's 'plan'.
    I have a really, really big problem with the "plans" of the other candidates who have a very good chance of being the President of the United States a year from now: McCain, Hillary or Obama = AMNESTY AND OPEN BORDERS.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Banned
    Funny how some people have such a problem with Romney
    but seem to have no problem at all with McCain, Hillary or Obama

Quote Originally Posted by usanevada
    Funny how some people have such a problem with Romney
    but seem to have no problem at all with McCain, Hillary or Obama
    yup, we're on the precipice of a "choice" between McCain/Hillary/Obama -- all open borders fanatics -- and we're arguing about Romney's plan. Sad.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    I didn't realize this was an argument. If you want to discuss the merits of his proposals you should be willing to look at the DEMERITS, as well.

I guess nobody is allowed to talk about those, unless they're 10 year old votes made by Ron Paul. Y'all need to grow up a little and realize that my questioning of this aspect of Romney's plan is because it has far-reaching consequences for ALL of us. It wasn't an attack on Romney, so I'd appreciate it if you would all just climb the HELL OFF OF MY BACK!!!

Edited to add: BTW, usanevada, I've got problems with ALL of them!!! Stop trying to put words in my mouth that I've NEVER UTTERED!!!

Banned
    There are a half dozen threads and also some very good interviews that outline his plan

He has the backing of some of the strongest anti illegal people in the country

This is just another attempt to skew a thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by usanevada
    There are a half dozen threads and also some very good interviews that outline his plan

He has the backing of some of the strongest anti illegal people in the country

This is just another attempt to skew a thread
    I'm not trying to 'skew' ANYTHING! I didn't post the original 'plan', all I did was quote it and ask a simple question.

Are you attacking me in order to piss me off enough to get me banned from this site??

It seems that way.

Grow up!

Romney wasn't my first choice, but my first choice has as much chance of getting elected President as our own William Gheen does.

Since my first choice has no chance, I chose a candidate, Mitt Romney, who was endorsed by my first choice and has been endorsed by many leaders in our movement who's opinions I trust.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast