Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Running for Office

I have lunch with a girl who works in my building from time to time. Our lunch conversations normally encompass her childhood in Mexico, her struggles to get into the USA, her first marriage etc...

The other day we were having lunch at an Italian restaurant when the subject of Irving's crackdown came up. We have discussed the topic of illegal immigration before, something that at first was quite awkward as I tried to not offend her with my position, but now was fairly routine since I know that she at the very least takes no offense.

I asked her what she thought, and her answer would surprise and infuriate the local Hispanic leaders who claim that all hispanics or at the bare minimum Spanish speaking hispanics believe in illegal immigration. She told me that she thought it was a good program and that from what she understands there there is no racial profiling or racism behind it at all. "I understand why they want to deport them, people from Mexico that come here illegally just don't care about America like those who come here legally do" I paraphrase but that was the jist of her statement.

Elated at her response I dove into my ideas that either include immigration or at the very least have something to do with it. That included making English our official language and removing spanish as a school requirement, creating english learning centers and using immersion, and end to birth-right citizenship and refusal to access of services without a valid state issued id and/or social security number.

There was more, but conveying an hour long conversation would be troublesome. Just know I also mentioned placing a higher tariff on Chinese imports, repealing NAFTA and CAFTA and lowering the tariff on Mexican imports after NAFTA was repealed (it actually hurts Mexicans more than helps IMO). The goal here is to stop feeding money into a Communist country which most likely WILL be the enemy of democracy and start feeding into a Democracy that the USA has been a part of since day one, from war to peace to poverty.

At the very end of our discussion as we were leaving the Italian restaurant (great meatball sub btw) on our way back to the office she turned to me and asked if I would run for a public office. At first i thought she was kidding, but she continued prodding me and became quite serious. I told her I would not survive in the hostile environment here, that those from spanish speaking nations would seek to eliminate me in any way possible. She replied that she would 'protect me' that she would be there to help me, "how could people call you racist if I was there?" she asked me.

Finally I convinced her that i was till too young, at only 27 there was no public office I could run for, she backed down but wow... was she getting serious.

Well that's my story for the day/week. Who knows, maybe when I am 32 you will see me running for an office, like a city council man or something such.

I'd vote for you. Your friend has a good idea-we need poeple like you to run for office,I really hope you will consider it in the future.

Rawhide!

Dragon you are not to young to run for a local office such as city council if you are interested in politics.

If you can grow a thick skin a political career can be very rewarding.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

JRB
    Dragons5,
    Im going to second USPATRIOT reply to you. There is only one way to get started and that is to get started. If you dont feel good getting in to the City Council, try the Planning Commission. Its a good place to start and get your feet wet. From there you could run for City Council or Mayor. Youth is a good thing in Politics and we need people like you that has a good head on your shoulders and will be around a while.

We need people like us getting involved in politics.

Im volunteering for a campaign and I attend local GOP meetings. We'll see where it goes from here.