Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

JAK
    Seems as though I heard that if they serve in our military...it would help them get citizenship..

I think you should have to be a US citizen to be in our military...otherwise we could be providing the enemy with weapons.

Like they have said over and over...they intend to take over and they hate Americans especially white americans and especially hispanics that do not agree with their cause.
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have a son in the military and to be honest I don't like the idea of an illegal alien being responsible for watching his back if you know what I mean. But it appears registering for Selective Service while an immigrant; legal or illegal has been in practice. I came across this:

http://www.visalaw.com/05mar5/2mar505.html

The ABC’s of Immigration: Military Service

Are immigrants required to be available for military service?

Since World War I, immigrants to the US have been required to be available for military service. Nonimmigrants, those people who are in the US for a temporary period of time, do not have this obligation, but permanent residents, refugees, parolees and even undocumented immigrants do. Registration is required upon reaching the age of 18 or before reaching the age of 26 if entering and taking up residence in the US when older than 18. During times of peace, however, only citizens and permanent residents may volunteer for military service. As with all male citizens born after 1959, permanent residents must register with Selective Services when they turn 18, or at the time that they obtain their permanent residency if they are under age 26. Those who obtain permanent residency after age 26 are not required to register. Failure to properly register could lead to criminal punishment, and can also lead to denial of future immigration or naturalization benefits.

Can I leave the US in order to avoid serving in the military?

Leaving the US to avoid military service, or desertion from the military, will make a person permanently ineligible for citizenship. In addition to this, being ineligible for citizenship is a basis upon which to deny a person admission to the US. Immigrants can obtain an exemption from the military service requirement on the ground that they are not citizens, but doing so will render them permanently ineligible for citizenship, unless the exemption was obtained under a treaty, and before seeking the exemption the immigrant had served in the military of their home country.

Can immigrants receive immigration benefits as a result of their military service?

Just as failure to abide by the Selective Service laws can result in a denial of future benefits, performing military service can produce benefits. People who have served for a total of three years in the US military and who, if no longer in the military, were honorably discharged, are exempted from standard residency requirements if the naturalization application is filed while still in the military or within six months of discharge.

Immigrants who served on active duty during World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and other military conflicts are also exempt from the residency requirements, and may be naturalized regardless of their age. Permanent residents who died while serving in the US military are eligible for posthumous naturalization if the application is filed no more than two years after their death. Immigrants on active duty are not deportable under a special agreement between USCIS and the Department of Defense. Moreover, in many of these cases, the immigrant is given the opportunity to seek naturalization before USCIS initiates deportation proceedings.

Finally, at many times in the past, ceremonies have been held to naturalize permanent resident military personnel before they were sent overseas.

Can people who lack green cards join the military?

While all immigrants – legal or undocumented, are obligated to register with Selective Service, it is actually pretty difficult to join the military if you lack a green card or are not a citizen or asylees. The military is not supposed to accept undocumented individuals (though we are aware of a number of cases where undocumented immigrants made it into the military anyway) and none of the branches sponsor individuals for non-immigrant or immigrant status (with some minor exceptions).

Whether Congress and the military will relax its position in the wake of falling recruiting numbers remains to be seen.

I don't know if Selective Service requires or has always required draftees to be legal residents or citizens but I do know that in my all draftee platoon at Parris Island in 1966,some of the draftees were immigrants that spoke poor English.Their legal status was unclear.

I can see a problem where draftees or enlistees might have a poor understanding of the English language which could endanger their fellow soldiers during combat or training exercises.

I just want to know why females do not have to register?

I did forward the webpage and comments to about a dozen radio stations and news outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip

I did forward the webpage and comments to about a dozen radio stations and news outlets.
    Which females would you prefer, the Amazons or Barbarellas?
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    That's a good question Skip, I'd be willing to bet that will be rethought if they activate the draft again. Now that women are serving on the lines; if they draft I'm sure the men would start screaming discrimination. Aahhhh, what women's lib did for us!

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    So basically it looks like illegal immigrants are not being recruited into the military. Registering for the Selective Service and actually being inducted are two very different things. Yes, Bush has made it possible for illegals to serve, but that's probably not going to happen unless a draft is inacted.

Honestly, does anyone really believe many illegals are going to show up at an inductee stations if drafted? Heck, a lot of them probably wouldn't even receive their draft notice because they routinely move without leaving a forwarding address.

Right now, this very minute, illegals are not being recruited or enlisted into our military services.
    Recruiters are turning down illegals that want to join in large numbers. They will accept a green card and will allow them to enter the process.
    Jose Guitierrez was a Marine that died in Iraq at the beginning of the war. Many said that he was an illegal and that he entered the Marines without any papers but this was a lie. He had a green card and this allowed him to enter. From all that I have read on this subject I don't see anybody signing up illegals to serve. Many people do not agree with President Bush and his policies to allow illegals to serve. Could their be illegals serving? I don't know. I tend to think that it would not be in our best interest to allow them to serve.

Illegals.

Personally I do not have any problem at with illegal aliens entering into our military and fighting for our country PROVIDING that a special force unit is created called the American Foreign Legion patterned after the French Foreign Legion mercenarys. The French took in ANY person regardless of nationality or background and did not exclude those with criminal records although I think the conditions of induction were no questions asked. There are numerous examples of foreigners fighting for America during the early days of our nation.

http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/

I think that the blanket exclusion of ALL illegal aliens is discriminatory.

Conditions of enlistment would be similar to those of obtaining a resident visa; background check, medical examination, and physical, mental evaluation. They would not be "regular military".

AFTER 5 years of service and combat experience, if available, they should be eligible for citizenship. There would be a quote set by the DOD and Congress.

During WWII there were examples of special units; the Black Tuskeege airmen; All black units building the Alaskan highway: the Code Talker Navaho Indians in the Pacific; and the Aleuts. When Japan attacked and occupied the Aleutian Islands at the extreme end of the chain, Aleut Indians were drafted and formed special units. They were advanced spy, intelligence troops who went out in advance and lived off the land. They proved to be remarkably resilient and served where regular troops from the lower 48 could not. They built their own shelters, hunted game and practiced their skills learned from the every day experiences as civilian Indians who had adapted to they environment. They proved to be remarkably effective and reliable, requiring very little logistic support.

Bill Tibbe

Well I certainly didn't know this...........

http://www.coxwashington.com/news/conte ... 8_COX.html

Margaret Stock, a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve and professor at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, said that a recent change in law has given the Pentagon the authority to bring immigrants to the United States to serve in the military as long as it determines that it is vital to the national interest, but that the Pentagon has not chosen such an option.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:47 PM
    To: Skip
    Subject: RE: ATTENTION, UNDOCUMENTED MALES

Dear Sir:

Your comments are noted. Please carefully read the information provided below:

WHO MUST REGISTER:

Virtually all young men who are U.S. citizens and “immigrant” male aliens living in the U.S. (both documented and undocumented) between the ages of 18 through 25 years must register with Selective Service, in accordance with Federal law (per the Military Selective Service Act). Even men with handicaps, missing a limb, blind, etc., are required to register. There is no draft at present and therefore, no classifying being done. The last man was drafted in 1973, after which the U.S. converted to an all-volunteer military. However, Congress and the President still require men to register and the Selective Service System is kept in a standby status, just in case a future crisis necessitates a return to the draft. Only at that time would you receive an induction notice to report for mental, physical, and moral aptitude testing and being classified. By registering, a man complies with Federal law, and he also keeps himself eligible for programs and benefits Congress has connected to the registration requirement. A man must be registered to stay eligible for student loans and grants for college, most Federal employment, all security clearances, many state jobs, vocational training under the Workforce Investment Act, and citizenship (if he is not yet a U.S. citizen). Several states have also now passed State Legislation requiring a man to be registered in order to obtain a new or renew an old State Driver’s License, or obtain an Identification Card.

Consequences of failing to register:

It is a felony to not register with the Selective Service System! A young man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000, a sentence of up to 5 years in prison, or both. The Selective Service does turn over the names of men who fail to register to the Department of Justice. It is then the responsibility of the Department of Justice to determine whether or not to prosecute.

Men who are required to register, but who fail to do so are denied certain rights, benefits, and privileges under Federal law and many state laws. For example, they are ineligible for Federally-backed student loans and grants, most Federal jobs, and vocational training under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA). Nearly half the states have similar laws that link Selective Service registration with a man’s eligibility for state financial assistance, state jobs, or entry to state colleges and universities. More than one-half of the states have also now passed State Legislation requiring a man to be registered in order to obtain a new or renew an old State Driver’s License, or obtain an Identification Card.

At our web site: http://www.sss.gov, you may click on “Fast Facts” and go to any of the sites listed there of interest---such as “Who Must Register”, “Postponements, Deferments, and Exemptions”, “How the SS Would Return to Conscription”, “the SS Lottery”, “Conscientious Objection”, and “Alternative Service for Conscientious Objectors.” Also from the web page, you may wish to go to our web site, click on “Publications”, “Registration Literature”, and go to “Information for Registrants” Booklet for much more information on the “draft, classification, and appeals process.”

Thanks for writing, and I hope the above provided information proves helpful to your better understanding the registration requirement.

Janice L. Hughes

Office of Public & Intergovernmental Affairs

Selective Service System

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 4:59 PM
    To: Information
    Subject: ATTENTION, UNDOCUMENTED MALES

RE : ATTENTION, UNDOCUMENTED MALES

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It's the law. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number. Be sure to register before your 26th birthday. After that, it's too late! Selective Service does not collect any information which would indicate whether or not you are undocumented. You want to protect yourself for future U.S. citizenship and other government benefits and programs by registering with Selective Service. Do it today

------------------------------------

I am deeply offended at this part of the Selective service page. This is just plain wrong. it sends out a very bad message to U.S. Citizens.

When I joined the U.S. Military I took and Oath, and part of that Oath was to be honest and not lie. Illegal Aliens by definition do not fit in this category.

R/ Skip

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast