Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Student tears Mexican flag - NMU

Unbelievable!

1. Why are Mexican flags flying at US schools?
    2. Notice how upset they are at taking down the Mexican flag but I'm sure don't have a problem when the kids are taking down the American Flag (I wonder if the US flag is usually on that flagpole)
    3. Raising foreign flags on American soil isn't "celebrating diversity" - it's what people do when they are claiming land for their country
    4. Can you believe they are calling this a hate crime?

Student tears Mexican flag; suspect remains at large
    Jeremy Hunt
    The Daily Lobo

9/19/07 Section: News

A student took down a Mexican flag from a flagpole outside Scholes Hall Monday, tore it and took it to the Air Force ROTC office, police said.

A summons was issued for Peter Lynch, 30, by the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court for criminal damage to property, said Lt. Pat Davis, spokesman for UNM Police.

Davis said Lynch is not a member of ROTC, and it is unclear why he took the flag to that office.

Lynch has not been charged because UNMPD cannot find him, Davis said.

UNMPD investigated the vandalism as a potential hate crime, but witnesses from the ROTC office told police it was not a racially motivated crime, Davis said.

"He was frustrated a foreign flag was flown without an American flag nearby," he said. "We're basically investigating it on witness statements."

The Mexican Student Association raised the flag outside Scholes Hall on Friday for Mexican Independence Day, said Cheo Torres, vice president for academic affairs.

Mabel Gonzales, president of the Mexican Student Association, declined to comment.

Torres and interim vice president for institutional diversity Rita Martinez-Purson issued an apology Tuesday from the University for the incident.

"This sort of incident hurts everyone," Torres said. "It's something that you don't expect to see at a place like the University of New Mexico where we celebrate diversity."

Martinez-Purson said the incident caught her off-guard, as well.

"I don't think anything really prepares you for this type of vindictive behavior," she said. "Obviously, we need to have strong dialog across campus about respect for other people and their cultures."

Whether the vandalism was racially motivated or not, it was offensive, especially to the Hispanic community, Martinez-Purson said.

"There's still an impact that has to be dealt with," she said. "He did insult them. His thoughtless behavior had consequences."

The University won't tolerate that kind of behavior, President David Schmidly said.

"It's inexcusable to desecrate a flag," he said. "I'm not going to be very pleasant to deal with on this issue."

What makes the situation worse is that it was a Mexican flag, Schmidly said. (so if it was an American flag is wouldn't be as bad?)

"For God's sake, New Mexico was part of Mexico at one time," he said. "There's tremendous ties, and we have a large population of Hispanics that live in our state and many of them have relatives and connections to Mexico."

1. Why are Mexican flags flying at US schools?
    2. Notice how upset they are at taking down the Mexican flag but I'm sure don't have a problem when the kids are taking down the American Flag (I wonder if the US flag is usually on that flagpole)
    3. Raising foreign flags on American soil isn't "celebrating diversity" - it's what people do when they are claiming land for their country
    4. Can you believe they are calling this a hate crime?
    Agree with you 100%.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I sure don't see any other ethnic group flying their flag on the flag pole to celebrate any other ethnic occasion. Sounds like they replaced the American Flag in order to "celebrate". Ya....they may have it like a banner or something in a a parade but never flying on our flag poles.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That is No Hate Crime....It is a Hate crime to fly that stinking flag...while our country is under an invasion
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Quote Originally Posted by redbadger
    That is No Hate Crime....It is a Hate crime to fly that stinking flag...
    It truely is!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

It is an act of war to fly a foreign flag in most nations . A flag is a sign of conquoring the territory you have invaded .

The Mexican ,Islamic and Irish flags flying without American flag aove it, should have been taken down and ripped up by the people . I am of Irish descent, but I am American first and foremost .

The more complacent and cowardly we get the braver they get .

Remember in Detroit last year when the muslims flew their flags and held signs saying, " death to anyone who insults islam ?" Remember the millions of hispanic illegal criminals who stood in our streerts and some urinated on our flags ? All this while our fathers, sons and daughters were at war fighting for their country against the submission and surrender of one of these invaders .

Why do we have to obey the laws of curfew and muslims can play their howling music in our cities 5 times a day full blast over loud speakers ? Why do we allow it ? Why do we let cubans take over our tropical state and confuse us with their lango .

We need to get out in the streets and protest , young and old, it sure as heck works for them better than anything we have done so far !

How much change have we really made ? How much have they ? Until the get it we will be fighting until worn down . Our calls,emails and faxes was a good start, now we see that keeps em coming back for more . Get up ,get out and get organized ,before it is too late !

I am a racist and proud of it ! If this love of my own nation and all it's different tribes of race and color is racist .

Race card won't work with me .

OH NO ! I just read this again and I am not a racist and far from it , I did not word that right . Hope o one took that wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJones
    Quote Originally Posted by redbadger
    That is No Hate Crime....It is a Hate crime to fly that stinking flag...
    It truely is!
    The kid who took the flag down is an American with a sense of protocol. UNM President Schmidley is a traitor who values the Mexicans more than the Americans. His problem will be the many legal Hispanics in this state who erupt over his gaff. Good luck, Schmidley the Schmuck.

Well, I HATED it when I saw those Mexican flags flying over upside down over
    stars and stripes!!!! I could spit nails!

They want land? Lets giveum Texas. They can call it Texico and make
    the Crawford ranch their new capitol. Wonder how Bush would like that?
    Then we could seal the new borders. Heehee
    PROMOTE SELF DEPORTATION, ENFORCE OUR
    LAWS!

Is everybody in the government going insane? I knew that teachers were mostly liberals but this is going too far. Flying Mexican flags certainly ISN'T celebrating diversity when all the students are, or should be AMERICANS!

This country is out of control. I am very worried about what is going to happen to this country. I will not give up, but I am concern. I have never been one to hate, but I really do hate Mexico, and most things that come out of that country!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast