Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tancredo: 'The Race' Plays Racial Politics of Its Own

'The Race' Plays Racial Politics of Its Own

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:37 PM

By: Tom Tancredo

During confirmation hearings for Judge Sonia Sotomayor, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy created the opportunity to accuse her critics of playing “racial politics.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Cosmic Race
    By Mark Krikorian, July 29, 2009

The National Council of La Raza has just wrapped up its annual conference in Chicago. While I think Tom Tancredo was engaging in hyperbole when he described La Raza as "a Latino KKK without the hoods or the nooses" (that describes instead MEChA and the Brown Berets), there's more to the comparison than people might realize.

La Raza's attempt to explain away their name as meaning "the people" or "the community" instead of "the race" notes correctly, and approvingly, that the phrase was coined by former Mexican secretary of education Jose Vasconcelos in the 1920s as "La Raza Cosmica." But maybe they didn't look closely enough at the theoretical underpinnings of the concept. Here's what Guillermo Lux and Maurilio Vigil wrote about it in Aztlan: Essays on the Chicano Homeland:

The concept of La Raza can be traced to the ideas and writings of Jose Vasconcelos, the Mexican theorist who developed the theory of la raza cosmica (the cosmic or super race) at least partially as a minority reaction to the Nordic notions of racial superiority. Vasconelos developed a systematic theory which argued that climatic and geographic conditions and mixture of Spanish and Indian races created a superior race. The concept of La Raza connotes that the mestizo is a distinct race and not Caucasian, as is technically the case.

In other words, La Raza really is the Master Race, but rather than based on notions of racial purity, La Raza's inherent, biological superiority is based on its hybridity, on the mixing in Latin America of, in Vasconcelos's words, "the black, the Indian, the Mongol, and the white." La Raza tries to whitewash (you should pardon the expression) this by writing that "this is an inclusive concept, meaning that Hispanics share with all other peoples of the world a common heritage and destiny." Not really; what it really means is that Hispanics, and specifically Mestizos, are superior to those of us unfortunate enough not to be part of the cosmic race.

So, "der Nationalrat des Volkes" is not so far off after all.

http://www.cis.org/Krikorian/MeaningOfLaRaza
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why do Hispanics need so much help? Why do they deserve so much influence and tax earmarks above and beyond other orginizations that are not based on race?

Dixie

AE

I am glad Tom Tancredo is yet out there speaking out, I miss him in DC, and his outspokeness on this subject there.

I hope more and more Americans wake up to this groups heavily racial and racists ways and ideas. I have hope that soon, they will be called on the table by the millions of outspoken Americans who say "no more in this country". I hope and pray this will be Americans of all races who speak out, because we all benefit from an America that stops giving tax dollars to racist organizations such as NCLR and their affiliates.

I also hope there will be an investigation into them, just as there is ongoing with ACORN. I hope people will start demanding for those tax dollars wasted on their racist agenda, be given back to the American public.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€