Tea Party Incumbent Justin Amash Smashes GOP Establishment-Backed Challenger

August 6, 2014 By Matthew Burke
1184 SHARES

Congressman Justin Amash soundly defeated U.S. Chamber of Commerce and Republican Party establishment-backed businessman Brian Ellis in the GOP Michigan primary on Tuesday.

The youthful Amash, 34, a favorite in the pro-freedom, pro-Constitution Tea Party movement, and perhaps the most transparent legislator in U.S. history (he has explained every vote on his Facebook page since taking office), Amash led Ellis by 14%, 57% to 43%, with 94% of precincts reporting Tuesday evening in Michigan.

In explaining why he had sought re-election, Rep. Amash said:
“When I entered Congress, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution, and I have followed through on that promise. The political elites of both parties don’t like what I’m doing. They have a vision of government that is very different from the vision laid out in the Constituion.”
Amash was endorsed by Tea Party stars Sens. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz. Cruz announced his endorsement in a radio ad for Amash saying, “Washington needs more conservatives with backbone–more conservatives like Justin Amash.”

Sen. Rand Paul said about Amash, “On the right to life, the Constitution, and fighting the debt, Justin’s a hero.”

Amash, who is seen as libertarian-leaning on some issues like foreign policy, is strongly pro-life, with a 100% pro-life voting record. “I’ll never forget our most fundamental right, the right to life,” Amash said about his stance on life.

Prior to Tuesday’s victory, Amash wrote on his public Facebook page less than a week ago,
“I’m honored to stand up for ordinary Americans–and the Constitution–against the special interests, connected elites, and political cronies who back my opponent.”

“Memo to establishment Republicans: Good luck getting Justin Amash,” Susan Demas, political columnist for MLive.com wrote in November of last year.

Those comments turned out to be prophetic.

Brian Ellis Concedes Against Justin Amash

Video at the page link:
WXMI - Grand Rapids, MI

Brian Ellis Concedes Against Justin Amash

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/08/06/tea-p...ed-challenger/