Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trump surrogate admits falsifying biographical claims

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump surrogate admits falsifying biographical claims

Trump surrogate admits falsifying biographical claims

By Sophie Tatum, CNN
    Updated 8:29 AM ET, Sat September 3, 2016

Washington (CNN) A top Donald Trump surrogate admitted to falsifying some of his professional accomplishments after a contentious confrontation with CNN anchor Victor Blackwell.

South Carolina preacher Mark Burns, who regularly introduces Trump at his campaign events, had listed on his church's website that he had a Bachelor of Science degree and served six years in the Army Reserve.

Burns, however, was never in the Army Reserve. He was in the South Carolina National Guard, from which he was discharged in 2008, CNN found.

As far as a Bachelor's degree, North Greenville University told CNN he only attended the school for one semester. Burns admitted that he did not finish his degree when CNN asked him about it.

When CNN confronted Burns about the various professional and social exaggerations he had featured on his biography, Burns first said the page had "obviously" been either "manipulated or either hacked or added."

But the site host, Wix, said there was no evidence of a hack.

Trump surrogate in hot water over false claims

"This is not fair at all," Burns told Blackwell during the interview. "I thought we were doing a profile and all of a sudden you're here to try to destroy my character."

"I'm not here to destroy your character," Blackwell replied.

At one point, Burns told Blackwell he believed the interview was off the record, to which Blackwell responded, "I didn't agree to that."

Burns abruptly ended the interview by walking away.

CNN followed up with the Trump campaign and was provided with a statement from Burns:

"As a young man starting my church in Greenville, South Carolina, I overstated several details of my biography because I was worried I wouldn't be taken seriously as a new pastor. This was wrong, I wasn't truthful then and I have to take full responsibility for my actions," Burns' statement reads.

Burns said he did not know if he had been vetted by the Trump campaign.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/03/politi...ump-interview/
    Last edited by Judy; 09-03-2016 at 09:14 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Burns, however, was never in the Army Reserve. He was in the South Carolina National Guard, from which he was discharged in 2008, CNN found.
    As Pastor Burns explained, the South Carolina Army National Guard is a part of the US Army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...National_Guard

The South Carolina Army National Guard is a component of the United States Army and the United States National Guard. Nationwide, the Army National Guard comprises approximately one half of the U.S. Army's available combat forces and approximately one third of its support organization. National coordination of various state National Guard units are maintained through the National Guard Bureau.

South Carolina Army National Guard units are trained and equipped as part of the United States Army. The same ranks and insignia are used and National Guardsmen are eligible to receive all United States military awards. The South Carolina Guard also bestows a number of state awards for local services rendered in or to the state of South Carolina.
    What CNN did today to Pastor Burns is despicable. Burns is a Trump Supporter, his resume is irrelevant. But to lie about him and say he wasn't in the Army when everyone in the state National Guard's is in the Army because they're a reserve unit to be called up any time the Army decides they need them. If that's not "you're in the Army now", then I don't know what would be.

SHAME ON YOU CNN. You become more despicable every single day.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think the US Department of Army just crapped on all members of the Army National Guard by what they conveyed to CNN about Mark Burns and need to apologize publicly to Mark Burns and every other past and present member of the Army National Guard.

So does North Greenville University who should not discuss any student's status or history with their college without prior permission from the student. Shame on you!! This is a Baptist college, what are the Southern Baptists up to now??!!