Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trump's new Senate friends: Lindsey Graham and Rand Paul

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump's new Senate friends: Lindsey Graham and Rand Paul

Trump's new Senate friends: Lindsey Graham and Rand Paul

By Miranda Green, CNN
    Updated 11:49 AM ET, Sun October 15, 2017

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump is taking another swing at his relations with some former rivals.

Trump golfed with Sen. Lindsey Graham on Saturday, according to the White House, after hitting the links with the South Carolina Republican on Monday. Then on Sunday, he planned to golf with Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul, who backed his recent efforts on health care and received a pen as well as a friendly pat on the shoulder when Trump issued the executive order on Thursday that is designed to increase competition and choice in markets.

The warming ties -- Trump and the senators were bitter GOP primary opponents and have occasionally engaged in public feuding since the inauguration -- come as the President's relations are fraying with Senate Republicans just as he's relying on them to help pass his agenda.

Trump engaged in a public spat with Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker last week, and Maine Sen. Susan Collins, who helped thwart GOP efforts to repeal Obamacare, announced Friday that she will bypass a gubernatorial run and stay in the Senate.

Meanwhile, Trump's former chief strategist, Steve Bannon, has declared "war" on the Republican establishment and, in particular, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Republicans control 52 Senate seats, which means they often can't afford to lose more than two votes to pass major legislation.

The President's relationships with Graham and Paul have not always been amicable. Trump fought vociferously with both senators during the presidential campaign as well as intermittently during his presidency. As a candidate, Trump made fun of Paul's physical appearance and gave out Graham's personal cell phone number at a rally. Paul at one point referred to Trump as "Gollum" -- a character in the "Lord of the Rings" fantasy series who is corrupted by his desire for the ring of power -- and Graham has called Trump a "jackass."

Paul played golf with Trump in April and said they had a "productive day" discussing health care reform. But he was the first and fiercest Republican to denounce the most recent iteration of a legislative alternative to Obamacare in September.
    Graham said of his game with Trump earlier this week to CNN affiliate WCFV, "We focused on golf for the most part. We talked about North Korea and Iran. Tax cuts, repealing and replacing Obamacare. It was a good conversation and a chance to be with the President. Just the two of us."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/15/politi...olf/index.html
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Keeping your enemies close?!

Sounds like a good plan to me, and who knows, maybe some fun work time with the President can break some gridlock, solve some issues, and move our country forward. Trump is very convincing when you have 3 hours with him. He also knows how to take something you know that he didn't and incorporate it into his goal, the end result of which turns you from an adversary to an ally.

We'll see how this goes. Hope something good comes from it.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Keeping your enemies close?!

Sounds like a good plan to me, and who knows, maybe some fun work time with the President can break some gridlock, solve some issues, and move our country forward. Trump is very convincing when you have 3 hours with him. He also knows how to take something you know that he didn't and incorporate it into his goal, the end result of which turns you from an adversary to an ally.

We'll see how this goes. Hope something good comes from it.
    I can't see anything good for us coming from having amnesty loving Graham as a buddy whispering "amnesty" ... "amnesty" ...... "amnesty" ...... in Trump's ear constantly.

Of course let's not forget, Rand Paul is an amnesty supporter too.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I doubt he's meeting with them on the golf course about DACA or any other type of amnesty, because Trump has already said "no amnesty, no citizenship". DACA is over as far as Trump is concerned. That's my opinion anyway. He's meeting with them about health care, tax reform, Iran and North Korea, pressing issues that must be addressed now.

MW
    I doubt he's meeting with them on the golf course about DACA or any other type of amnesty, because Trump has already said "no amnesty, no citizenship". DACA is over as far as Trump is concerned. That's my opinion anyway. He's meeting with them about health care, tax reform, Iran and North Korea, pressing issues that must be addressed now.
    Oh, please don't fool yourself into believing that. Of course Graham is giving 110% in his attempt to convince Trump on a DREAMER amnesty. I'm sure he's using every opportunity presented to do just that.

As for Trump not supporting amnesty or citizenship, I guess that would depend on which of the comments you want to cherry pick from the many comments he's made on the issue. Trump wants the Congress to work out a solution on DACA and that doesn't happen without an amnesty and future citizenship.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I like to see our President meeting with members of Congress to break the grid-lock. I think he does a better job of getting his points and positions across to Congress than other people in the White House. It's time well-spent in my mind.

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    I like to see our President meeting with members of Congress to break the grid-lock. I think he does a better job of getting his points and positions across to Congress than other people in the White House. It's time well-spent in my mind.
    In the case of amnesty for illegals, "grid-lock" is exactly what we want.

They weren't meeting on amnesty, MW. Trump's already given Congress his 71 Point Assured Grid-Lock Plan on "amnesty". It's DOA. DEAD ON ARRIVAL. Trump's meeting with Graham and Paul this weekend to finish off the health care deal, make sure there's no showboating from them on the tax plan, and get their support on Iran and North Korea. We're going to war and Trump's getting everything ready for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast