Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: It turns out Jared Kushner and Sean Spicer are also registered to vote in two states

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

It turns out Jared Kushner and Sean Spicer are also registered to vote in two states

It turns out Jared Kushner and Sean Spicer are also registered to vote in two states
    By Matea Gold and Alice Crites January 26

Jared Kushner, who is married to Trump's daughter Ivanka, is currently registered to vote in New Jersey and New York. (Carlos Barria/Reuters)

Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and one of his closest White House advisers, is registered to vote in both New Jersey and New York, while White House press secretary Sean Spicer is on the rolls both in Virginia and his home state of Rhode Island, according to elections officials and voting registration records.

Their dual registrations offer two more high-profile examples of how common it is for voters to be on the rolls in multiple states — something Trump has claimed is evidence of voter fraud.

With Kushner and Spicer, The Washington Post has now identified five Trump family members or top administration appointees who were registered in two states during the fall election. The others are chief White House strategist Stephen K. Bannon; Tiffany Trump, the president's youngest daughter; and Treasury Secretary nominee Steven Mnuchin, as first reported by CNN.

[Stephen Bannon was registered to vote in two states — despite his efforts to take himself off the rolls in Florida]

White House officials did not respond to requests for comment.

Trump said this week that the fact that many voters are registered in two states is a sign of widespread voter fraud, calling for a “major investigation” into his unsubstantiated claim that millions of people cast illegal ballots in November.

“You have people that are registered who are dead, who are illegals, who are in two states,” the president told ABC's David Muir on Wednesday. “You have people registered in two states. They're registered in a New York and a New Jersey. They vote twice. There are millions of votes, in my opinion.”

[Trump to sign executive order related to voter fraud]

It is not illegal to be registered to vote in two states, and elections officials say that does not mean voters are casting ballots in two locations. In fact, it is quite common for out-of-date registrations to linger on the rolls, due to voters dying or moving to new jurisdictions. A 2012 Pew Center on the States study that Trump has erroneously cited as evidence of voter fraud found that about 2.75 million people were registered in more than one state — largely because voters did not report when they moved to new jurisdictions.

Spicer: Trump believes millions of people voted illegally

Play Video2:54
    During the daily briefing, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said that widespread voter fraud is a belief President Trump has “maintained for a while.”(Reuters)

“It's not fraud,” said John Lindback, executive director of the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC), a nonprofit organization that works with states to improve the accuracy of their voting rolls. “When people move from one state to another or move down the street, they don’t think to change their voter registration.”

That appears to be what happened in the case of Kushner, who married Trump's daughter Ivanka in October 2009.

New Jersey voting records show that he registered to vote there in 1999 and cast ballots in New Jersey through the November 2009 state general election, when now-Gov. Chris Christie (R) was on the ballot for his first race.

Later that month, Kushner registered in New York at his Park Avenue address. Voting records show he began casting ballots in New York in 2010.

Representatives for Kushner did not respond to requests for comment.

[A Trump supporter was charged with voting twice. Her lawyer says she shouldn’t stand trial.]

Spicer last voted in Rhode Island in 1998, according to state records, which means his registration should have been declared inactive or removed by now. But the Rhode Island Board of Elections confirmed to The Post that he is still listed as having an active voter registration. Since September 1999, Spicer has also been registered to vote in Alexandria, Va., according to elections officials there.

In the case of Bannon, he was registered until this week in both New York and Florida, despite his efforts to remove himself from the rolls in the latter. Mnuchin is registered in both New York, where he last voted in 2008, and in California, where he cast his ballot in November, election records show. And Tiffany Trump, the president's daughter, is registered in New York and Pennsylvania, where she was attending college until May.

On Thursday, White House senior adviser Kellyanne Conway disputed that Tiffany Trump held dual registrations, telling NBC's “Today” that the president's youngest daughter told her “it is flatly false that she is registered in two states.”

But elections officials said voters often do not realize they stay on the rolls after they have moved out of a jurisdiction.
    One major reason that out-of-date registrations are not always flagged is that fewer than half the states participate in ERIC, a cooperative that was created after the 2012 Pew study to help make voter rolls more accurate and comprehensive. Members of the group, which currently includes 20 states and the District of Columbia, are required to share their voter registration data every 60 days. The nonprofit group uses that data — along with information from state motor vehicle departments, the Social Security death index and the U.S. Postal Service's national change of address list — to match and update voter files. In 2016, it identified about 2 million voters who had moved, passed away or had duplicate registrations.

“Before ERIC was formed, it was much worse,” Lindback said. But he noted that some of the most populous states, including California, Florida and New York, do not participate. If more states join,"the number of cases will go way down,” he added.

Lindback, who previously served as Oregon's director of elections, said he is hopeful that Trump's focus on dual registrations could help encourage more states to exchange data. But he said he's concerned that the president's debunked claims that millions of illegal votes were cast in November could “have the effect of reducing confidence in how our elections are run.”

“I just don’t get it,” he added. “I have been in elections a lot of years, and it's usually the loser of an election who claims fraud. I’ve never seen a winner claim fraud. What is going on here?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.10dd101e094f

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The Washington Post, again.... Did they VOTE in two states? No
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Wow. Washington Post just proved Trump's point. There are millions and millions of people registered in more than one state. Unless the states purge or individuals take the time to notify the state they moved from, there are multiple state registrations which without voter ID could allow someone to vote twice or more depending on how many states you've lived in and been registered in, especially in areas where metropolitan areas are surrounded by multiple states. Being registered in multiple states is not a crime, but using that to vote in multiple states in a federal election would be. Do people do it? It's possible to do it. And if voter turn out and community organizing tries to exploit this, it could be a lot of double votes nationwide.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I move all the time...I am probably registered in 7 States. Only vote one ballot in the current State I live in. So if I was sent a ballot to my old address it is quite possible someone voted in my name without showing any ID.

We need National Voter ID with Photo Law passed. No more last minute registration!

Yes, these roles need to be purged. When I get a new Driver's License does the new Motor Vehicles Dept of that State inform the previous State I lived in? I turn in my DL.

Who is connecting the dots to the Voter Registration office that people moved?

Is the Registrar of Vital Statistics notifying Voter Registration office of Death Certificates?

Is the Government Benefits offices of SS, Disability, Welfare, Food Stamps, Section 8 housing, etc. notified people are deceased? So much fraud. Billions paid out that should not be.

What about people who move all the time and do not have a DL...but just an ID Card?

This mess really needs to be cleaned up and streamlined. I and do not think that Motor Vehicles office should be in the business of automatically registering people to vote...more fraud.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

I'm totally okay with DMV voter registration for citizens. DMV knows who is a citizen or not if they've done their jobs right. The problem really isn't DMV, it's politicians giving illegal aliens drivers licenses and perhaps not flagging the DL with a status for citizen or legal immigrant. Then if you DMV registered, you simply present your DL to vote, if you were STATE ID registered to vote, you present your STATE ID, if you were registered some other way, then whatever way you were registered, then you need to present the ID upon which you were registered. If no ID was used to register you, then you are a provisional voter that requires verifying you are the person who is registered and a US citizen before certifying the election unless you were verified in a prior election certification.
    Last edited by Judy; 01-28-2017 at 02:47 PM.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe DMV is educated in identifying what fake documents are. Many workers coach illegals what documents to bring.

These IDs should be vetted like a getting a Passport, maybe we should get temporary IDs until they are vetted...then you go pick up the Permanent ID.

I have been to more than my share of DMVs all across this Country and dread it. These people are not the sharpest tools in the tool box.

We live in a whole new world of corruption and fraud. There has got to be a better way to solve this issue.

Yes, that is a problem in DemoQuack states, they're all corrupt to begin with, that's why they give illegal aliens drivers licenses to begin with, because we know it's not for public safety.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    I may be wrong, but I do not believe DMV is educated in identifying what fake documents are. Many workers coach illegals what documents to bring.

These IDs should be vetted like a getting a Passport, maybe we should get temporary IDs until they are vetted...then you go pick up the Permanent ID.

I have been to more than my share of DMVs all across this Country and dread it. These people are not the sharpest tools in the tool box.

We live in a whole new world of corruption and fraud. There has got to be a better way to solve this issue.
    Over the years I have read stories where DMV employees were busted for purposely issuing illegals driver's licenses for pay. If they would do that, what makes anyone think they wouldn't register someone to vote? Yes, I too do not believe registering voters should be the responsibility of any DMV office.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    I may be wrong, but I do not believe DMV is educated in identifying what fake documents are . . .
    New Techniques Help Dmv Spot Licenses With Fake Information

March 14, 1999 |By Sherri M. Owens of The Sentinel Staff

WINTER PARK - It's not hard for Bill Shepherd to spot fake legal documents.

As a supervisor at the state drivers-license office in Winter Park, he is trained to look at the seals on birth certificates, the typeface on licenses from other states and the number series on Social Security cards to try to identify which are real and which are fake.

But criminals have become smarter, figuring new methods to improve the look of bootleg documents in their attempts to obtain licenses.

So, in an effort to keep ahead of people using fake documents, the training for drivers-license office workers has broadened. The training now includes learning to catch legitimate documents that have false information.

``We're focusing on the good documents now, not just the bad,'' said Shepherd, whose office is next to the state's Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Central Bureau headquarters. That bureau oversees the Central Florida license branches from Sanford to Pinellas County.

The need for accurate information on drivers licenses came to light last month when a New Hampshire company lost its bid to buy Florida's 14 million drivers-license photographs.

The company, Image Data, had hoped to sell the information to retailers who want to prevent fraud. A move is under way in this year's Legislature to prohibit the selling of the photos.

People trying to secure drivers licenses using false information can range from teenagers wanting to get into nightclubs or buy alcohol to criminals trying to cover their tracks.

Workers in drivers-license offices long have known to look for obvious signs of fake documents.

For example, when a first-time driver presents a birth certificate and Social Security card to qualify for a license, the clerk looks carefully at the signature line on the Social Security card. On a real card, it's not a line at all - it's tiny print.

People applying for Florida licenses after having moved from another state must show their original licenses along with vehicle registrations and Social Security cards. The clerks have a book that shows what each state's license looks like.

Rarely, however, are there obvious clues to suggest whether the information on legitimate documents is accurate. That's where the new training comes in.

``We go through a questioning thing,'' Shepherd said. ``Most people know what their mother's maiden name is and the country they were born in. We ask the questions and make eye contact. We watch their body language.''

If there is any doubt about the information, employees call the Bureau of Vital Statistics or other agencies to check information. If it's a fake, the agency keeps the document and calls the police.

``If you go in and purport something that isn't true and you get a forged or fictitious license, that's a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in state prison,'' Winter Park police spokesman Sgt. Wayne Ferrell said.

Altering information on a legitimate license is a misdemeanor, punishable by fines and up to a year in jail.

The police say they welcome the agency's tenacity in catching people trying to obtain licenses using false information.

Detective Randy Davison with the Winter Park Police Department remembers when a colleague was called to a fraud at a drivers-license office.

Davison said it was learned that the man questioned at the office was wanted in New Jersey on a charge of conspiracy to murder his wife. ``He was obtaining ID so he could get a plane ticket and fly out of the country,'' he said. The man was arrested.

Last year, the state Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles reviewed 5,973 fraud cases in Florida and invalidated 1,143 licenses. The year before, it reviewed 3,282 cases and invalidated 810 licenses.

The number of people arrested in the area for license fraud is difficult to track. Several police agencies in the area don't keep statistics of people arrested for possessing fake licenses.

In Winter Park, police officers arrested 45 people for drivers-license fraud in 1995. The next year, after holograms and magnetic strips were put on the licenses, police arrested 65 people.

In 1997, the number of arrests in Winter Park fell to 15. ``People knew we had the new equipment,'' Shepherd said.

Last year there was only one arrest in Winter Park.

In Orlando, the number of arrests remained relatively steady during the same period. It had 20 arrests in 1995, 23 in 1996, 20 in 1997 and 32 in 1998.

Even with improved anti-fraud technology and increased training, the demand for fake identifications remains widespread. Companies on the Internet offer ways to create new identities, computers and software were stolen in a series of thefts at license offices in Miami, and nearly 80 Department of Motor Vehicle employees in California were fired last year for issuing fake licenses for bribes.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...y-card-license

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Over the years I have read stories where DMV employees were busted for purposely issuing illegals driver's licenses for pay. If they would do that, what makes anyone think they wouldn't register someone to vote? Yes, I too do not believe registering voters should be the responsibility of any DMV office.

I agree, I have been in several DMV offices for that last 30 years as I move all over the Country. You may have 1 or 2 professionals in there dedicated to their job...but many are not. Many of them are rude, nasty, have no customer service skills and not much of a work ethic. I do not believe they know what false documents are. Many corrupt workers in our State and Federal offices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast