Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Politics is a very thankless job. No matter which way you go, your not going to please everyone.

1am vote... WTF?

The filibuster may have PO'ed those on the line, and they are now voting for it, who knows.
    Travis and Crockett, are flopping in their graves

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex

Here is the email I just sent Hutchinson:

Recently a Rasmussen Poll reported that Fifty-six percent (56%) of U.S. voters now oppose the health care plan proposed by President Obama and congressional Democrats. Furthermore a ABC News/Washington Post Poll reported that 53% of Americans disapprove. Each day that goes by means more and more Americans do not want this ridiculous plan that will do nothing but increase taxes.

With the overwhelming majority of Americans opposing Obama’s health care plan what were you possibly thinking when you sided with Harry Reid in voting to end any attempt of those who are against this plann to filibuster?

You have announced many time in your campaign for Texas Governor that you will not give up you Senate seat while campaigning because you wanted to stay in Washington to fight health care and kill it dead. The only chance Republicans had to keep the Democrats from shoving this unpopular plan down America’s throats is to filibuster. You helped turncoats like Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins and the Democrats reach the 60 votes needed to stop this from happening.

I just want to remind you that Texans are aware of this and will remember your vote when it comes time to elect a Republican candidate to run for the position of Texas Governor. My family is definitely not planning on voting for you if this health care bill is passed. We also plan on joining other Texans outside your office in Houston in protest of your vote.
    Here is the response Kay Baily Hutchinson's office emailed me in response to my email.

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me about health care reform legislation. I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Texans are particularly aware of the need for health care reform, but it cannot come with a trillion dollar price tag and a government takeover of our health care system. Our state has 5.8 million uninsured residents, the highest percentage of uninsured in the nation. This number poses a huge challenge for our hospitals, taxpayers, and many working individuals and families who cannot afford the health care coverage they need. We need to improve access to affordable health insurance, but I strongly oppose the Democratic proposal, which is why I voted against consideration of the bill.

The President and the Democratic leadership are pursuing a radical approach that will result in increased premiums, higher taxes, penalties, and reduced patient choices. One of the most troublesome aspects of the legislation being considered is the massive government expansion it would enact. I strongly oppose a government-run option. I believe it will inevitably lead to a single-payer system. At a time when our nation is facing a crippling debt and insolvent Medicare program, it defies common sense to create another costly government program.

I am also worried about the cost burden the Democratic health care proposals would impose on small businesses. When so many employers are struggling to offer insurance, we should be finding ways to bring down costs for their coverage. Instead, the Democratic proposals will impose taxes, penalties, and higher premiums. The bills before Congress would also make dramatic cuts to Medicare and hospital reimbursements, threatening patient choices and access.

The right approach to health care reform would be to fix what is broken with our system without destroying what works. I have put forth targeted and fiscally responsible ideas that will, through market-based competition, increase options for coverage and reduce costs. I am the lead co-sponsor of the Health Care Freedom Act of 2009 (S.1324), which would provide tax credits for individuals who purchase their own insurance so that the coverage they buy is portable, would implement nationwide medical malpractice reform, would create a web portal so comparing insurance plans is easier, would allow individuals to purchase insurance across state lines, and would allow states the flexibility to provide coverage for individuals with pre-existing conditions. I am also a strong supporter and cosponsor of bills that would allow small businesses to pool together and purchase insurance, thus spreading risk and reducing their costs. All these approaches have proven to be effective and would lead to more affordable and accessible health insurance.

The Democrats have presented Americans with a false choice: their proposal or nothing. However, there are other better remedies that will actually lower costs, expand access to quality care, and increase patients’ options – without the threat of government control. These other options will keep patients at the center of their health care, and take the bureaucrats out of the equation.

You are among thousands of concerned Texans who have written to express their views on this topic. You may be assured that as health care reform legislation comes for consideration before the full Senate, I will continue fighting against the Democrats’ proposal to enact a government takeover of our health care system.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will contact me on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,
    Kay Bailey Hutchison
    United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    202-224-5922 (tel)
    202-224-0776 (fax)
    http://hutchison.senate.gov

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this message as it is not a valid e-mail address. Due to the tremendous volume of mail Senator Hutchison receives, she requests that all email messages be sent through the contact form found on her website at http://hutchison.senate.gov/contact.cfm .
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12