Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Rep. Sessions on Immigration Reform

Sessions' Newsletter

Border Agent Update
    Seeking Justice in the Ramos and Compean Case

In December’s newsletter, I highlighted an injustice on the border involving two agents working to protect our country. Since then, I have been working in Congress to pardon these two individuals. Agents Compean and Ramos are currently serving their 11 and 12 year sentences in Elkton, Ohio and Yazoo City, Missouri, respectively. Their cases are on appeal.

On February 4, 2007, Agent Ignacio Ramos was assaulted by members of a Latino gang in prison after his story was aired on America’s Most Wanted. After the incident, both agents were put in solitary confinement for their own safety. While they are no longer in danger, this means that they are locked up 23 hours a day and have extremely minimal phone usage. The Bureau of Prisons’ failure to protect the agents is unacceptable. With my support, Congressmen Tom Tancredo (R-CO) and Duncan Hunter (R-CA) have discussed the lack of security with officials at the Bureau of Prisons. The director of the Bureau, Harley Lappin, says that he is looking into alternative facilities for the convicted agents where their lives would not be in danger. We are asking that Ramos and Compean be transferred to a minimum security prison, where they will not be in contact with convicted drug smugglers and gang members. Please be assured that I will continue to monitor this situation closely.

Letter to President Bush
    As you may know, I was one of twelve Members of Congress to send a letter to the White House requesting an official presidential pardon for José Alonso Compean and Ignacio Ramos. Initially, President Bush declined to consider the pardon. However, we refuse to accept this answer. We hope that the overwhelming public pressure and the media attention surrounding the case will impact the President’s consideration. In the meantime, we are continuing to explore other options. Click here to view a copy of the letter to President Bush.

Congressional Pardon for Border Patrol Agents Ramos and Compean Act
    I am a cosponsor of the Congressional Pardon for Border Patrol Agents Ramos and Compean Act (H.R 563), introduced by my colleague Congressman Duncan Hunter. This bill would overturn the agents’ convictions and prevent any further investigations or prosecutions on the matter. The bill has been referred to the Committee on the Judiciary and the Committee on Homeland Security. In March of 2007, letters were sent to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Judiciary Chairman John Conyers and Homeland Security Chairman Bennie Thompson requesting that they hold hearings to further examine this case.

Letter to the Department of Homeland Security
    I recently joined several Members in sending a letter to the Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff regarding the Department’s refusal to share the investigative report on the border incident with the Subcommittee on Investigations, which was chaired by my colleague Congressman Michael McCaul from Texas. Congressman McCaul met with the Department of Homeland Security Inspector General Richard Skinner in September and requested that the Subcommittee on Investigations have the opportunity to review the report. He was assured that a copy would be sent to his subcommittee. After repeated attempts by Congressman McCaul’s committee staff to obtain this information from DHS, their requests were ignored or denied. Some Members of Congress have requested Richard Skinner’s resignation as Inspector General. A border agent points to the levee
    where the incident took place.

We believe that this report, which was submitted as evidence in the trial, provides valuable proof of innocence, and it is our responsibility, as an oversight body of the government, to make sure that these reports are reviewed fully. The Department of Justice has also declined to acknowledge the requests of Congress to provide the Subcommittee on Investigations with information we need to uncover the facts. Clearly, their unwillingness to cooperate is a hindrance to our efforts to provide justice for Agents Ramos and Compean.

The president of the National Border Patrol Council, T.J. Bonner, asserts that they are outgunned and outmanned by armed and dangerous drug smugglers. According to the Washington Times, “assaults against Border Patrol agents have more than doubled over the past two years, mainly by drug cartels…”1 These drug runners carry the weapons they need to protect themselves and their cargo, posing a constant threat to Border Agents. I certainly do not condone the use of excessive force, but I do trust our agents to use their discretion when their lives are in danger. As violence on the border escalates, our nation cannot afford to have agents who are afraid to do their job. Their constant battle with armed drug smugglers detracts from their ability to focus on illegal immigrants crossing the border.

Prosecuting our own agents for protecting themselves and giving credence to a known drug smuggler only emboldens those who try to cross the border illegally or smuggle drugs. I am determined to see that these two public servants receive a just pardon. Letting the current sentence stand could prevent other Border Patrol Agents from doing their job effectively for fear that they may also be accused of something. Border security is too important to let this happen. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Kate Gregg at 202.225.2231 or at kate.gregg@mail.house.gov.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

TR Did you post the wrong article? Title doesn't agree
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It is a newsletter sent out by Sessions.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!