Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Uninsured Americans

[quote]Salvation proves too expensive for the uninsured

Kevin Sieff (The Brownsville Herald)
    November 18, 2007 - 3:27PM
    CAMERON PARK — Joe Gallegos was already pallid and underweight when Michael Moore’s film crew first arrived to film “Sicko,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I am self-employed, and self insured. I have had a few minor health issues that have been happening at once and have not been able to work much.

My monthly health premium is 230.00 per month, $5000, deductible, $500 pharmacy deductible. Kaiser pays 70% after that.

I sprained my ankle yesterday. I was not sure if it was broken or not. I was afraid to go to the hospital because I have a flat $150 charge. I wondered how long I would sit there, and if they would pad the bill. I called the Kaiser help nurse. They suggested I wait and just go to the doctor. $30.00 visit, x-ray (which I think will be covered). While I was there, The Dr. brought a Dermatologist PA over to look at another issue.

I have been trying to get an appointment with Derm for over 6 months. The have 1 at a huge facility and one PA.

The PA told me he wanted to do an immediate biopsy, and could not believe the Derm front desk had been stonewalling me.

$50 for that visit (and I have no idea if I will receive some sort of biopsy charge. I am grateful that at least I was seen.

So today $80 for doctors, and $95 for formulary drugs. That is on top of the $230 for this months premium = $405.OO so far for November. And remember, I am fairly healthy. No high blood pressure, no diabetes, no regular pharmacueticals (except asthma and allergies).

If I was illegal, spoke no English, I could have walked into an ER, been treated for everything, for free. No questions asked, no ID given, no credit record ruined, No problemo.

Thrive...........Right.
    I'm "Dot" and I am LEGAL!