Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US Immigration Changes Face Obstacles in Congress

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N21597024.htm

US immigration changes face obstacles in Congress
    21 Jun 2005 15:44:03 GMT

Source: Reuters
    By Alan Elsner

WASHINGTON, June 21 (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's efforts to overhaul U.S. immigration law have spawned two competing bills in the Senate but the issue is highly divisive and the chances of passing any bill in this Congress are slim.

"The battle for immigration reform is going to happen on the right," said Tamar Jacoby of the conservative Manhattan Institute. "We're at the point now when we're getting actual plans and the debate is starting in earnest."

Last month, Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain and Massachusetts Democrat Edward Kennedy put forward bipartisan legislation backed by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and numerous other groups that would allow some of the estimated 10-12 million illegal immigrants in the United States to gain legal work permits and eventual citizenship.

But the White House has not endorsed the bill and is instead working with Republican Sens. John Cornyn of Texas and Jon Kyl of Arizona, who are crafting a rival bill that is tougher on border enforcement and less generous to migrants.

Cornyn and Kyl would spend billions of dollars to strengthen control of the U.S. border with Mexico. They envisage hiring 10,000 new border patrol agents and want to invest in unmanned aerial vehicles, cameras, barriers and sensors as well as adding 10,000 new jail beds to detain illegal immigrants.

Their bill will also include a guest worker program but it would require foreign workers to eventually return to their countries of origin rather than offering them an eventual path to citizenship.

"It would be a temporary worker program based on the principle of work and return rather than work and stay," Cornyn said in a telephone interview on Monday.

As far as the illegal immigrants already in the country, Cornyn said he was considering a plan that would allow them to pay a fine, serve a period of probation and satisfy English language and other civic requirements to earn legal status.

Even if one of these bills or a combination of them got through the Senate, it would still face formidable obstacles in the House of Representatives where Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo heads an anti-immigration lobby of 80 members, mostly Republicans.

POWERFUL OPPONENTS

Powerful figures like House Majority Leader Tom DeLay and judiciary committee chairman James Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin, though not members of Tancredo's lobby, seem unenthusiastic about immigration changes and much more concerned with strengthening border security and cracking down on illegal aliens and those who employ them.

Michele Waslin of the National Council of La Raza, the nation's largest Hispanic group, said that Latinos, the nation's fastest-growing voting bloc and a key swing constituency, were paying close attention to the debate.

"It affects everyone. If they are not immigrants themselves, they have relatives who are," she said.

"The House continues to pass one anti-immigrant provision after another. But as tension and frustration build around the country, we finally have some serious attempts at immigration reform in the Senate," Waslin said.

Some analysts believe this year's efforts will be little more than a first skirmish in a long-term struggle that could last for years.

"It often takes a couple of Congresses to get anything of this magnitude done and it's certainly up in the air as to whether the current Congress can make any progress," said James Gimpel, a political scientist at the University of Maryland.

Meanwhile, illegal immigrants continue streaming into the United States, mostly across the Mexican border, at an estimated rate of 400,000 a year. Polls indicate that Americans are increasingly angry about this.

In a Zogby poll last month, 76 percent of respondents said the government was not doing enough to control the border and 53 percent said it should send troops to stop illegal immigrants coming in from Mexico.

"Americans have a real problem with illegal immigration, although a majority still values the American tradition of welcoming immigrants to our shores," said pollster John Zogby.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good article Bbean. I wish we only had 400,000 illegals coming per year. Where did they get that number from? 1992?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote: But the White House has not endorsed the bill (McCain-Kennedy) and is instead working with Republican Sens. John Coryn of Texas and Jon Kyle of Arizona, who are crafting a bill that is tougher on border enforcement and less generous to migrants.

Are my eyes failing me? Did I actually read that the White House wants a tougher bill? You mean they see and understand that the MCCain-Kennedy bill is nothing more than a terrible joke on America???

I like what they said about Tom Tancredo, and the American people!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I clearly support the fight against illegal immigration, not only because of national safety reasons but also because I think that it is a real way to help those who want to enter US do it legally.
    I am not surprised that the discussion on the new immigration law is hard because there are a lot of things to take into account.
    I know an immigration service consultants called Foreign Immigration that helps people to enter legally to the United States.

Welcome Carmela!

I clearly support the fight against illegal immigration, not only because of national safety reasons but also because I think that it is a real way to help those who want to enter US do it legally.
    Exactly! Illegal immigration is especially unfair to those who are trying to enter legally. It is a slap in the face to every U.S citzen, though more so I suspect, to those that spent years earning their citizenship lawfully.

Re: US Immigration Changes Face Obstacles in Congress

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N21597024.htm

US immigration changes face obstacles in Congress
    21 Jun 2005 15:44:03 GMT

Source: Reuters
    By Alan Elsner

WASHINGTON, June 21 (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's efforts to overhaul U.S. immigration law have spawned two competing bills in the Senate but the issue is highly divisive and the chances of passing any bill in this Congress are slim.

"The battle for immigration reform is going to happen on the right," said Tamar Jacoby of the conservative Manhattan Institute. "We're at the point now when we're getting actual plans and the debate is starting in earnest."

Last month, Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain and Massachusetts Democrat Edward Kennedy put forward bipartisan legislation backed by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and numerous other groups that would allow some of the estimated 10-12 million illegal immigrants in the United States to gain legal work permits and eventual citizenship.

But the White House has not endorsed the bill and is instead working with Republican Sens. John Cornyn of Texas and Jon Kyl of Arizona, who are crafting a rival bill that is tougher on border enforcement and less generous to migrants.

WOW........I wonder if this isn't just some propaganda hoping to stave off some mounting concerns over illegals? It just might be that Bush is beginning to use that wind sock to his advantage just like his predecessor did so successfully.

Cornyn and Kyl would spend billions of dollars to strengthen control of the U.S. border with Mexico. They envisage hiring 10,000 new border patrol agents and want to invest in unmanned aerial vehicles, cameras, barriers and sensors as well as adding 10,000 new jail beds to detain illegal immigrants.

Their bill will also include a guest worker program but it would require foreign workers to eventually return to their countries of origin rather than offering them an eventual path to citizenship.

What would be wrong in requiring them to return to their country of origin today?

"It would be a temporary worker program based on the principle of work and return rather than work and stay," Cornyn said in a telephone interview on Monday.

As far as the illegal immigrants already in the country, Cornyn said he was considering a plan that would allow them to pay a fine, serve a period of probation and satisfy English language and other civic requirements to earn legal status.

Even if one of these bills or a combination of them got through the Senate, it would still face formidable obstacles in the House of Representatives where Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo heads an anti-immigration lobby of 80 members, mostly Republicans.

POWERFUL OPPONENTS

Powerful figures like House Majority Leader Tom DeLay and judiciary committee chairman James Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin, though not members of Tancredo's lobby, seem unenthusiastic about immigration changes and much more concerned with strengthening border security and cracking down on illegal aliens and those who employ them.

Michele Waslin of the National Council of La Raza, the nation's largest Hispanic group, said that Latinos, the nation's fastest-growing voting bloc and a key swing constituency, were paying close attention to the debate.

"It affects everyone. If they are not immigrants themselves, they have relatives who are," she said.

"The House continues to pass one anti-immigrant provision after another. But as tension and frustration build around the country, we finally have some serious attempts at immigration reform in the Senate," Waslin said.

Some analysts believe this year's efforts will be little more than a first skirmish in a long-term struggle that could last for years.

"It often takes a couple of Congresses to get anything of this magnitude done and it's certainly up in the air as to whether the current Congress can make any progress," said James Gimpel, a political scientist at the University of Maryland.

I can't see Congress doing anything real quickly unless it is giving themselves a pay raise.

Meanwhile, illegal immigrants continue streaming into the United States, mostly across the Mexican border, at an estimated rate of 400,000 a year. Polls indicate that Americans are increasingly angry about this.

Gee......I wonder why? I wonder if Congress will initiate a study on why we legals are increasingly angry about this?

In a Zogby poll last month, 76 percent of respondents said the government was not doing enough to control the border and 53 percent said it should send troops to stop illegal immigrants coming in from Mexico.

"Americans have a real problem with illegal immigration, although a majority still values the American tradition of welcoming immigrants to our shores," said pollster John Zogby.

I wouldn't have a problem closing the borders to all immigration until we get a handle on the illegals first. That should be a while......
    I wonder how many illegals got their NC driver licenses renewed last week? President Bush needs to protect the borders not illegals. President Bush is a coward and guilty of treason when it comes to securing the borders.