Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Who were the Best Presidents?

My third grader must write a report on a president which is due in two weeks. Half of the class are doing their reports on George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.

She said she would like to do her report on our best president.

Any suggestions?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Well,I would sure as Hell strike Lincoln from the running. He and FDR should be at the very bottom of the heap with Carter.

My dark horse recommendation would be Jackson. While I am not fond of his heavy-handed approach to South Carolina's rebellion against the 1832 tariff in the form of their Ordinance of Nullification, his tireless fight to block the recharter of the Bank of the United States wins high marks. His heroism as a General in the Battle of New Orleans also wins high marks.

I think that my top recommendation would have to be Thomas Jefferson. He was truly the mastermind behind the creation of this free republic. As President, Jefferson pushed for a strong militia rather than a federal army. He pressed for extreme frugality in government - something that no President has done in my lifetime. He negotiated the Louisiana Purchase. He was the first Western leader to take the fight to the Barbary Pirates and won a temporary end to the trbute payments to those extortionists. He commissioned the Lewis and Clark expeditions. His fights against the federalists, though ultimately unsuccessful in steering the country back in the direction of limited government, were a courageous attempt to hold to his ideals.

Reagan did defeat the USSR
    and put an end to the cold war.

He screwed up on the illegal situation but
    stood tall for America for real in many other areas.

You could chose Pea-nut brain Carter in case
    they ask for the WORST president.

Neils
    2:38 pm
    02/21/2007

Bush Jr..!!

Oh, wait. "Best?"
    Just because you're used to something doesn't make it right.

Her best friend is doing Andrew Jackson. Maybe Reagan is a good choice. What about the amnesty though? I realize that he said that it should never be done again though.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I believe that she has decided on Thomas Jefferson, Crocket! Thank you for your suggestions, everyone.

My suggestion would be Harry S. Truman, because had to make some of the hardest, controversial, and far reaching decisions of any President in the 20th century. Not especially popular, he did what thought was right, had a deep respect for the office of the presidency, and took full responsibility for his decisions. The following I believe highlight this:

a. Had to succeed FDR with little or no preparation. FDR did not inform Truman of the A-Bomb development, agreements he had made at Yalta with Churchill & Stalin, etc/
    b. Had to decide whether or not to use the A-bomb against Japan, or risk over a million US casualties in a final assualt on the Japanese islands.
    c. Had to decide to implement the Marshall Plan in Europe, and General MacArthur's similar plan in Japan at the end of WW II. Neither plan was popular with many US citizens at the time, but were necessary to stabilize the regions. Compare to the gutting of Germany after WW I, and how it contributed to the rise of Hitler.
    d. Required racial integration of the armed forces
    e. Bucked union sentiment to stop a nationwide railroad strike he thought was injurious to the welfare of the country
    f. Supported the establishment of Israel (without the US support, it might not have happened)
    g. Committted troops to stop North Korean invasion of South Korea, signalling the start of the Korean War.
    h. Fired Gen MacArthur for insubordination
    i. Decided not to use nuclear weapons in Korea.
    j. Established the precedent for a president to only serve two terms, which was later embodied as an amendment to the constitution.

Many of these decisions were not popular at the time, and some are still controversial today. You might not agree with any on them, but how would you like to be the person who had to make them, and then live with the consequences? Oh yeah, Truman was the guy who said "The buck stops here".

P.S If you don't like Truman as your choice, an off the wall one would be President Polk. Polk's presidency expanded the terriitory of the US nearly as much as Jefferson's.
    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - POGO

Banned
    My suggestion would be Harry S. Truman, because had to make some of the hardest, controversial, and far reaching decisions of any President in the 20th century.
    What, the President who gave away the farm at Yalta?

Banned
    I told my 5th grader that all have good and all have bad
    we just have to pick the one that would be best for the job

a 3rd grader said
    people seem to find bad in anything and once they do they start looking for more bad

Alot of presidents like Abe had many enemies and more people against them, than for after they were elected into office. abolishing slavery was not too appreciated at the time, mostly by those who benefited from them. They did`nt draw that much admiration until decades after their death. Because we all look at it much differently now.

But Lincoln was`nt the one that abolished slavery like everyone thinks.
    I think it was Washington(?) CrocketsGhost??

Legal, take a look at this:
    http://www.veryhappening.com/poll/?id=13
    ------------------------

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast