Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thanks, MK! That's neat. Guess what? She went to the school library yesterday and checked out a book on a president for the report. She left the book at school. I asked her which president the book is about........she can't remember.

(I sure hope it's not Jimmy Carter!!)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    Alot of presidents like Abe had many enemies and more people against them, than for after they were elected into office. abolishing slavery was not too appreciated at the time, mostly by those who benefited from them. They did`nt draw that much admiration until decades after their death. Because we all look at it much differently now.

But Lincoln was`nt the one that abolished slavery like everyone thinks.
    I think it was Washington(?) CrocketsGhost??

Legal, take a look at this:
    http://www.veryhappening.com/poll/?id=13
    You may be confusing the end of the slave trade (importing of slaves) with the abolition of slavery. But disHonest Abe did not abolish slavery. His Emancipation Proclamation applied only to the Confederate States, over which he had no lawful authority, and was merely a ploy to attempt to spark a slave revolt and thereby shorten the war. Here is the opening paragraph of the Proclamation:

That on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free; and the Executive Government of the United States, including the military and naval authority thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of such persons, and will do no act or acts to repress such persons, or any of them, in any efforts they may make for their actual freedom.
    Nevermind that "proclamations" are the prerogative of monarchs, not elected Presidents or that nowhere does the Constitution empower the President to issue a binding "proclamation." Abe routinely wiped his ruddy arse with the Constitution, as when he suspended the writ of habeas corpus, deported his rival, Ohio Congressman Clement L Vallandigham, launched war without a declaration of war from Congress, imprisoned much of the Maryland legislature, shut down newspapers and censored telegraphs, and threatened, intimidated and in at least one case arrested judges who ruled against him. He was a tyrant in the truest sense, regardless of the eventual outcome for the benefit of the former slaves of his immoral war.

Slavery was not abolished in the US until the passage of Amendment XIII, which was not ratified until some eight months after his death. The amendment was authored and submitted by Senator John Brooks Henderson of Missouri, and its lawful passage is debatable given that the former Confederate states were required to vote in favor of passage, as they were with Amendment XIV.

Without the Civil War, slavery would have been an outmoded institution by the 20th century as new farming machinery and changing public opinion would have led to its natural demise. A minority of Confederates (about 5%) were actual slaveowners, and many Confederate states, such as Texas, had already outlawed the trading of slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    A minority of Confederates (about 5%) were actual slaveowners, and many Confederate states, such as Texas, had already outlawed the trading of slaves.
    Exactly. Most CSA soldiers didn't even come from slave owning families. Anyone that says the Civil War was about slavery is just out and out wrong. I'm from a non-slave owning family but an entire generation, on both sides of my family faught in the Civil War.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Dang one or two of you guys started to make me nervous there for a second allmost fearfull that we wernt talking about Presidents to third graders Men of respect (ture leaders that had life changing issue on there hands). But then I was reminded of a speach a man gave that had been geting children great Grades for over 100 years. And all fear was gone.........

Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation: conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
    Now we are engaged in a great civil war. . .testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated. . . can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war.

We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate. . .we cannot consecrate. . . we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.

It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us. . .that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion. . . that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain. . . that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom. . . and that government of the people. . .by the people. . .for the people. . . shall not perish from the earth.
    Sounds like Ike and guys like him won my kids a Honest Abe A+

They all have life changing issues on their backs because "the pen is mightier than the sword.

Dixie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN
    Dang one or two of you guys started to make me nervous there for a second allmost fearfull that we wernt talking about Presidents to third graders Men of respect (ture leaders that had life changing issue on there hands). But then I was reminded of a speach a man gave that had been geting children great Grades for over 100 years. And all fear was gone.........

Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation: conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
    Now we are engaged in a great civil war. . .testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated. . . can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war.

We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate. . .we cannot consecrate. . . we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.

It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us. . .that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion. . . that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain. . . that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom. . . and that government of the people. . .by the people. . .for the people. . . shall not perish from the earth.
    Sounds like Ike and guys like him won my kids a Honest Abe A+
    What a pity that disHonest Abe spoke out both sides of his face. I didn't make up the stuff about the tyrant. What a pity it is that automatons like GREG never bothered to learn anything that was not programmed into them in the government indoctrination camps.

Sorry, Greg, but I reserve the tag of "greatness" for people who didn't crap on the Constitution and get drunk on the blood of their fellow citizens for the sake of maintaining the flow of tax revenues to their industrialist buddies.

Banned
    As all children write reports to gain a good grade in any of our Great American Schools, I can offer some advice to any parent that is faced with the dilemma of the topic of the reports title, or to any parent that has any questions about how the report will be graded.

1. Children must write the report, we can offer our help, but we can’t influence their opinions.
    2. We must encourage our children to leave out any bigotry, racial discriminations, and biases or use any opinions that projects narrow mindlessness that could be construed as chauvinistic.(our schools and its teachers do not tolerate this) not to say it doesn’t go on but, they refuse to accept it. As parents we must stand behind them on issues such as this.
    3. American History can be procured in many deferent ways but our younger children aren’t writing a report about misconceptions or philosophies of our great government.
    4. We must encourage them to leave out pipe dreams.
    5. We must discourage in them the use of a skill or ability used in a way that is considered unworthy to gain a better grade.

We must remember our children are like a chunk of clay and are easily swayed to opinions that others may find offensive and insulting no matter how it intelligent the opinions sound. As we all look forward to our child’s higher education we must remember they are our children. Sometimes adults act in a way that is like their little brothers or sisters and those actions/comments smell worse then their diapers.
    Greg A great American

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    Thanks, MK! That's neat. Guess what? She went to the school library yesterday and checked out a book on a president for the report. She left the book at school. I asked her which president the book is about........she can't remember.

Darn LEGAL, lol

I sure hope not too!!

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen

Darn LEGAL, lol

I sure hope not too!!
    She'd have to do a lot of fibbing in order to make it into a "best pres report."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN
    As all children write reports to gain a good grade in any of our Great American Schools, I can offer some advice to any parent that is faced with the dilemma of the topic of the reports title, or to any parent that has any questions about how the report will be graded.

1. Children must write the report, we can offer our help, but we can’t influence their opinions.
    2. We must encourage our children to leave out any bigotry, racial discriminations, and biases or use any opinions that projects narrow mindlessness that could be construed as chauvinistic.(our schools and its teachers do not tolerate this) not to say it doesn’t go on but, they refuse to accept it. As parents we must stand behind them on issues such as this.
    3. American History can be procured in many deferent ways but our younger children aren’t writing a report about misconceptions or philosophies of our great government.
    4. We must encourage them to leave out pipe dreams.
    5. We must discourage in them the use of a skill or ability used in a way that is considered unworthy to gain a better grade.

We must remember our children are like a chunk of clay and are easily swayed to opinions that others may find offensive and insulting no matter how it intelligent the opinions sound. As we all look forward to our child’s higher education we must remember they are our children. Sometimes adults act in a way that is like their little brothers or sisters and those actions/comments smell worse then their diapers.
    Greg A great American
    Ah, so it is more important to make sure that kids swallow the disinformation hook, line and sinker rather than insuring that they are properly educated? I guess that philosophy explains a lot, GREG.

I notice that you did not challenge a single fact I provided about the tyranny of Lincoln. So I guess that tyranny is fine so long as it is wrapped in the cloak of patriotism? I don't think that a peron who would believe such a thing is a great American at all. As a matter of fact, I think that most of the people I would consider great Americans (but who never had the gall to call themselves that) would find such a mindset beneath contempt. But that's just my educated yet humble opinion...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast