Why 'Instant Green Cards' Would be Harmful to American Workers

By Norm Matloff, Monday, December 14, 2009, 4:55 PM EST - posted on NumbersUSA

Recently President Obama called for granting fast-track green cards to foreign students studying STEM fields at U.S. universities. That view has become au courant in DC these days--the H-1B program in general has problems but those who come here as foreign students are the "good" H-1Bs. As I've often written, I strongly disagree with this point of view.

Though I do support facilitating the immigration of "the best and the brightest," only a tiny fraction of the foreign STEM students are in that league. Most are hired simply because they're cheaper. Even if they were to be given quick green cards, they still would be cheaper, because they're younger. A fast-track green card program would basically be just as harmful as an H-1B expansion.

Obama's remarks were particularly disappointing because they were supported by one of his advisers, Jared Bernstein. Bernstein was formerly at EPI, a pro-labor think tank that has been critical of the H-1B program.

I've been very appreciative of EPI but I have to wonder whether all that number crunching has made them lose sight of life as lived by what the Chinese call the è€