Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    strange plastic strands at one end I cut
    The legs are usually tied down with something.

The neck is in the plastic bag.

If you place an apple sliced in half in the turkey, it helps keep it moist during cooking. Some people use an onion, but I prefer the apple. Discard and don't eat unless like stuffing you get it up to temp as well. A big bird, you might want to use two apples.

Dixie
    An orange or lemon works well too. heat the orange slightly in the microwave, squeeze or roll to "loosen the juice", poke it with a fork and stuff it in the cavity. Makes for a nice juicy turkey!

Well I am sorry I had to go out and miss this one

Why were you cooking the turkey on Monday when Thanksgiving is not until Thursday????
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Just to let everyone know, the Turkey was great! It was a little bit under cooked in the center, but since there was 22 pounds of it, my family is still eating it today with no injuries

The next time I tackle a bird that big, I'm going to start thawing days before or get me a fresh one.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

One more thing. Once the family is done picking the meat, don't throw the remainder into the trash. I have made some wonderful soup broth by boiling the remaining turkey carcass, throwing in onions, carrots, herbs, etc. My best soup with the broth was canned asparagus (drained) and fake crab meat.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Hey now! I've had some great successes, and no failures (knock on wood) so far with my rapid thawing turkey cooking excursions.

I've just never tackled one this big before. I'm going to shoot for 4.5 hours and then try to get that internal temp up around 180 and I should be good.

W
    FOR SAFETY REASONS TRY TO GET THE PLASTIC OUT AT SOME POINT DURING THE COOKING. I HAVE COOKED TURKEYS THAT WERE NOT COMPLETELY THAWED AND I LIVED THROUGH IT...DONT WORRY. YOU HAVE A THERMOMETER AND THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN HAVE. CHECK AT SEVERAL POINTS IN THE TURKEY TO MAKE SURE. INSERT THE THEMOMETER ALL THE WAY TO THE BONE. SOME WILL TELL YOU IT HAS TO BE 160 AND SOME SAY 180. I WOULD GO WITH THE HIGHER END OF THE SCALE JUST TO BE SAFE. ITS GOOD THAT YOU DID NOT STUFF IT. THE INSIDE WILL COOK FASTER WITHOUT THE STUFFING. YOU CAN USE THE DRIPPINGS FROM THE TURKEY PAN IN YOUR STOVE TOP STUFFING. THE FOIL IS GOOD. IT WILL KEEP THE OUTSIDE OF THE TURKEY FROM DRYING OUT. GOOD LUCK WILLIAM.

April
    Glad to hear your dinner turned out well, W. Keep up the good work!

All these recipies and tips are making me hungry! Thank goodness turkey is ok on Atkins.

William I take it that no Dr. needed to be on call my humblest apologies for doubting your cullinary skills. I do hope the women folk kept you well lubricated with beer...
    "Ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country"-John F. Kennedy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345