Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

“Legalize Me, I’m Irish”

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2006/03/ ... -im-irish/

“Legalize Me, I’m Irish”

Posted By Brenda Walker On 15th March 2006 @ 16:12 In General | No Comments

Saint Patrick’s Day is approaching (an occasion for amateurs, as we say at my favorite drinking establishment), so the media is cranking out the requisite annual mention of the Irish and all their important contributions to America.

Interestingly, there is a sizeable contingent of illegal Irish lurking about, as the San Francisco Chronicle noted today [Irish join battle over illegal immigration].

“They are in as dire straits as any other ethnic group,” said Kennelly, who estimates there are 3,000 to 4,000 Irish illegal immigrants in San Francisco, most working in construction, in restaurants or as nannies and caretakers for the elderly. “They cannot get driver’s licenses, it’s harder to open bank accounts, they cannot travel home and return again. … The relationship between Ireland and America is so long and fantastic, but it’s in danger now.”

So, if Washington doesn’t legalize all the illegal Irish here, they will be really miffed?

An Irish blog dedicated to the plight of the illegal alien Irish is filled with the sense of entitlement, like America is their spare country:

• Breda: “We are living under unnecessary duress and it is not fair. We are good, honest, hard-working, creative, funny people and we deserve better.”

• Susanne: “There are thousands of Irish immigrants in this same tragic situation and we’re staying here, waiting and hoping for the McCain/Kennedy bill. It really is the only light at the end of this dark tunnel.”

Irish consider their case to be special because of Ireland’s history of immigration to America. Mexicans feel entitled because they believe the Southwest belongs to them. They and other Hispanics are taught by the Catholic Church that they are like Joseph and Mary, and that their suffering cancels out American borders. Everyone figures their circumstance makes them special. And so it goes.

But I am grateful to the Irish for their fine contribution to the whiskey part of Western civilization. Here’s to borders!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.irishvoices.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 26, 2006
    Can I see my grandkids?

I am a granny who doesn't see my grandkids only when I can afford to go to see them as I live in Ireland. It's expensive and not easy, it's a long journey for a cuddle but worth it. Give me a break and let them come to see me.
    Thanks
    Maria

posted by Irish Voices @ 11:32 PM 3 comments

Sunday, February 19, 2006
    Breda: I'm ready to fight now

I was at my first meeting in Woodside and it really did empower me to make my contribution. I am so glad that I happened upon Rory Dolan's a few weeks ago even though the meeting was over. Last night, the speakers were so inspiring and comforting that I honestly felt like crying. I had another miserable Christmas, missed weddings, funerals, unable to comfort sick relatives, see my parents, sisters, brothers and nieces and nephews. I never felt like I had a right to feel bad or mad. Now I realize that I should feel angry. I have always believed that passion is the motivating factor behind EVERY success story. I was really impressed with the energy in the room - the speakers, the crowd and all the volunteers.

I somehow fell into PR through working in the film business at home and in NYC. I spoke briefly with Niall McDowd and told him that I would like to help by trying to enlist as many Irish or Irish American celebrities as possible to endorse the campaign and generate as much buzz and media coverage as possible. The combined efforts of us undocumented, our wonderful advisory board, Niall, Ciaran and Kelly, the volunteers should make us very a powerful group.

I will definitely be going to DC and I want Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne, Bono, The Corrs to come too. We need these people to help leverage media and make the campaign as high profile as possible. I am confident that we could get generous Irish American people to sponsor travel if needs be. We need quotes and words of support as this will raise our profile and educate people in a positive way.

Business owners especially those in the construction business should reach out to their workers and make sure that everybody knows about the ILIR. I will be reaching out to as many influential people as possible.

My Irish American cousins are behind me. My American friends are behind me. America still loves us but they are not aware of the seriousness of the situation. Just this morning, my 12 year old cousin Mickey said "If Poppy and Grandma didn't come here on a boat from Ireland, I would not exist and he also said "I would be in tears if you had to leave." He even wants to lobby in DC, God love him.

We are unified and I am glad. I have managed to get some work in the Arts but it has been a hustle and a struggle. I feel worried, alienated, guilty, hampered and anxious and my attempts to block it out are failing more and more as time goes by. We should not be criminalized and I will do everything I can to spread the word and force the senators to step up and help us in a positive way. I am so over the Xenophobia. The action component is what we Irish need. We stuck it out here. I have had so many people say "You are educated, why do you want to be in a country that does not want you or care about you? It's getting harder to defend my reasons for being here, seriously. We are living under unnecessary duress and it is not fair. We are good, honest, hard-working, creative, funny people and we deserve better.

Let’s make it happen, I am not disappearing under the radar any more. Being labeled "an illegal alien" is really insulting. I really admired the two female speakers who took to the podium last night- Good Job Girls. HE WHO DARES, WINS!!! Now we need some good news!

posted by Irish Voices @ 8:09 AM 15 comments

Monday, February 06, 2006
    Susanne: An Irish woman in New York.

Every time I talk to people about living in New York as an undocumented immigrant the depressingly repeated question again and again is - why do you not go home? I have so many, many things to say to this that I bowl them over with my response and before I bowl you I will try to compact all of the buzzing words in my head in to this one simple statement: I am home, this is my home, my new home. I and countless Irish immigrants like me are home.

Have people forgotten what America is? Has the idea of coming to America and making it your home dead? What happened to the idea of a coming to a new place to raise your family to begin a life that was once just a hope in your heart?

Economic reasons are not the defining reasons why people emigrate, it most definitely once was a big motivation but not for all and not for me.

The Irish economy is doing so well and I am thrilled that things have changed in Ireland. However that is not grounds to just pack up and head out of a wonderful life that I created for myself here. The immigrants are not swans that flew south for the winter. We're not going to go flocking home now that it's that bit warmer (economically at least) now.

This is all related to what constitutes a life for each person, the friends you have here, the networking you have achieved in different areas, in work, in sport. The climate of the country and so many more little things that make your life in America, well your life. It is patronizing to get confused when people stay undocumented and do not move home to Ireland.

It is not a rejection of Ireland to want to live in America, the Irish immigrants I know celebrate their Irish heritage even more since living in America, along with embracing America.

The Irish Americans have shown time and time again that you can quite beautifully be both. So why can't we? Give us the chance we so desperately deserve to be the Irish Americans of the future. We choose this country with passion and sacrifice please now let this country choose us and adjust our status before it is too late and we do tragically go home and the future life blood of that great cultural marriage between Ireland and America will be sucked dry.

posted by Irish Voices @ 4:01 PM 0 comments

Monday, January 30, 2006
    The Irish American ties

With regard to the current debate, please allow me to raise a few points which may be of use to others in forming a positive coalition of action.
    In 1994 George W. Bush defeated Ann Richards for the Governorship of Texas. This was accomplished with the help of a P.R executive, Rob Allyn, who subsequently helped Mr. Bush with both of his successful Presidential bids. Mr. Allyn, who also helped Mexican President Fox in his electoral campaigns, has recently been retained by Mr. Fox, ostensibly to `market` Mexico`s input and approach to the impending U.S Immigration legislation. Indeed, it has been suggested that Mr. Allyn`s Mexican brief has the tacit encouragement of the U.S Executive Branch. This would seem to make sense, if it is accepted that President Bush has a very positive, indeed liberal view on immigration.
    During the 2000 election, one of the central talking points of the campaign was Immigration Reform. When Mr. Bush became President, the general perception was that significant progress was about eighteen months down the road, and I well remember my heart skipping a beat at the prospects
    Unfortunately, this country suffered a devastating blow on the 11th of September, 2001 and, while we all have war stories from that day of infamy, and grieved with the rest of America, life went on.
    In the past few years, security at ports, airports and the U.S/Canada border have been greatly enhanced, and recently, much media attention has been afforded to the problems posed by illegal entry from the south. Unlawful infringments are classified as either Mexican or OTM (other than Mexican). In my opinion, there is a state of near-paranoia that people of nefarious intent could breach the U.S/Mexican border, bringing in weapons with them. While it is outrageous that any nation should be forced to counter such evil ideology, it is a fact that these are the times we live in.
    A few years ago, I was in a chain bookshop in Manhattan, and wanting to purchase a book, I went to an assistant. When I told her that the book was called `How The Irish Saved Civilization`, she asked me if there was such a book, perplexedly. I bought two copies of Tomas Cahill`s masterpiece, got one of them wrapped, and gave it to her.
    Let us all, for the next few months, continue to be upbeat and goodhumoured, and accentuate the greatest thing we`ve brought to this Nation; our Irishness, and our love of life. America and Ireland have, for centuries, enjoyed a close relationship.America never had a more constant, unwavering, loyal friend on the international stage, and the onus is on all of us to maintain and strengthen these ties.
    At a gathering of the American Bar Association in Dublin, some time in 2000, Tanaiste/ Deputy Irish Prime Minister Mary Harney, in the course of her speech, stated;"Geographically we are closer to Berlin than Boston. Spiritually we are probably a lot closer to Boston than Berlin". Hopefully, the same spiritual closeness will resonate in our favour when the U.S Senate deliberates our status in the next few months.
    Thank You To A Great Movement,
    Mise,
    Le Meas,
    Seamus

posted by Irish Voices @ 6:26 AM 1 comments

Saturday, January 21, 2006
    Comment from an Irish American

I am an Irish American whose parents came from Clare and I believe the Irish have been nothing but a great help to this country. Myself and my friends will do everything in our power to help your cause. This kind of treatment is a disgrace for a country founded on immigration. I am sure we all remember what it says on the Statue of Liberty.

posted by Irish Voices @ 4:32 PM 3 comments

Thursday, January 19, 2006
    Waiting Paddy: I'd love to pay taxes...

Well hi there - my Mam texted me today to ask me to listen to the Pat Kenny show on RTE! Irish Radio Station - which was about the scams about the green cards - I have been living here undocumented for nearly 2 years. I came over here for the love of someone, I have enough money to live on, I don't take advantage of anything but like everyone else, can't get a driver's licence etc and as result have a big fear of getting ill or being in a car smash - My brother is a US citizen and sponsored me and it, by all accounts can take up to 14 years - I have outstayed my visitors visa now by 12 months and like everyone else wonder what will happen if something happens at home that I have to go home?? I think it is stupid - If I don't have to work, at least I should be able to get a driver's licence - I'm still working on my bank account in europe so that's not a problem. I would be more that willing to pay taxes etc, but this country won't let me - what's that all about? Look at the way Ireland has changed now - and after all - America has been built on immigration - without us - America wouldn't be as good as it is???? I need some real help. Thank you for listening. Your's... a waiting paddy!

posted by Irish Voices @ 4:40 PM 7 comments

Susanne: And yet another Irish immigrant gives up on America

An Irish immigrant I’ve known for the past seven years came into the restaurant where I bartend and told me he is moving home next month. I'm still shocked. This guy loves New York and has a great life here but things have gotten so desperate for the undocumented that he says he can't take it anymore. Basically, he can’t renew his driving license; and that's his life, that's how he gets to work.

I've all sorts of mixed feelings now. My own licence expires this year and I can't renew it either. I'm going over the same ground again, asking myself again all the despairing questions about my life here as an undocumented immigrant.

There are thousands of Irish immigrants in this same tragic situation and we're staying here, waiting and hoping for the McCain/Kennedy bill. It really is the only light at the end of this dark tunnel.

You feel so scared, lonely and isolated when you are undocumented but mostly you feel guilty about putting everything and everyone on hold while you wait.

I'm trying to take classes at college and I have to pay out of state tuition fees because I'm undocumented. It was embarrassing and humiliating at registration when I tried to explain why I had no social security number but can I please take classes anyway. Every time I sign up for a new class of my master’s at CUNY I go through the same thing.

If the bill gets passed my fees will be halved because I will be an in-state resident, just another of the many ways McCain/Kennedy would help me and thousands like me.

posted by Irish Voices @ 4:30 PM 3 comments

Friday, January 13, 2006
    Siobhan: Have the succesful Irish forgotten where they came from?

I arrived in Boston in May 1997, and spent an amazing summer on Cape Cod. We left that September, having overstayed our 90-day visa waiver. I was only 21 and wasn't really thinking too far into the future. I returned to Boston in January 1998 and that was the last time I saw Ireland. I stayed in Massachusetts until late in 1999 and headed to New York to experience something different, not really thinking of visas or consequences at this point. Having fallen in love with New York and thriving there, I still live there, I love my job, but plan to go home in May permanently.

I do regret having stayed here so long illegally, I suppose I didn't see the time go really. I have traveled all over this beautiful country, and would have liked to build a real life here, but opportunities to do this aren't looking good at the minute. I really hope things pick up for the other illegals in America. Despite what anyone says we do jobs no Americans will do, and we do jobs no American will do as well as we can.

I believe the country needs us and it is a huge mistake to criminalize us, we are, for the best part, good people, hard workers who want nothing more than to be able to take part in American life, open a bank account, drive a car, go to school, visit the doctor, own a house, visit home without the fear of losing everything we have worked so hard for, basic things so many take for granted. America was my home for the past nine years, despite my lack of status, but I have given up on the government, and the Irish American's who don't seem to care about us anymore. There are so many influential Naturalized Irish here, with a huge voice who DO NOT USE IT. They have forgotten about us even though we work for them and run their multi- million dollar businesses, they have forgotten where they came from.

posted by Irish Voices @ 10:34 AM 4 comments

Myriam: What's Another Year?

What's another year? That old Johnny Logan Eurovision song is playing in my head. I am driving myself crazy and everyone around me with my melodious voice. What's another year? I keep saying to myself, over and over. I am trying to justify to myself and to my family why I am still here after 15 years and still undocumented. They can not understand why I would want to live in this country and not get documented, but it's not as if I don't want to get documented.

Every year I live in hope that this is the year; this is the year that we'll get legalized. Then it will all have been worth it. Let's face it, another year is nothing when you're in your 20s; like I was when I came to the USA. Like everyone else, I came for the craic and the adventure.
    But now I'm in my 30s and life has changed. I want a different life, my priorities are different I do not want to live in the shadows anymore.

America has being my home for 15 years that is a lifetime, I love it here, and I want to stay here but I am at my wit's end. I need to be become a legal resident, I need to be able to live, work and play without looking over my shoulder. The time is now for action; All Irish, Irish-American and anyone else who would like to join in on the lobbying effort has got to do so now. The McCain Kennedy bill is the best solution, so the next few weeks and months are vital.

We've got to email and fax your local congressman/woman, your local senator and get the word out - SUPPORT THE McCAIN/KENNEDY BILL. What's another year? Well this is the year for our voices to be heard. And hopefully we'll hear it in Rory Dolan's in Yonkers on January 27th.

posted by Irish Voices @ 10:28 AM 0 comments
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“Legalize Me, I’m Irish”

Sounds like a pretty racist statement to me.

Hey! These are Kennedy McCain relatives. LOL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

there are 3,000 to 4,000 Irish illegal immigrants in San Francisco, most working in construction, in restaurants or as nannies and caretakers for the elderly. “
    I thought white people wouldn't do those kinds of jobs. Oh wait, it's white Americans that won't do those jobs. I get confused sometimes.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniusJnr
    Hey! These are Kennedy McCain relatives. LOL

Why are they even doing this ? I read very recently that Ireland had the highest standard of living of any country in the world. Maybe we can investigate that. Are they criminals trying to escape jail over there, or are they just members of the " U.S. Belongs to the World Club" ?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm not sure. But having met so many Brits overseas and having run into so many on the various boards, most are quite liberal. They may be thinking the world is up for grabs.

I am sure they are claiming that America was stolen from Great Britan (which includes part of Ireland) thus they are simply taking it back.

Same story you hear from the Mexicans.

Re: “Legalize Me, I’m Irish”

Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a
    http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2006/03/15/legalize-me-im-irish/

So, if Washington doesn’t legalize all the illegal Irish here, they will be really miffed?

An Irish blog dedicated to the plight of the illegal alien Irish is filled with the sense of entitlement, like America is their spare country:

• Breda: “We are living under unnecessary duress and it is not fair. We are good, honest, hard-working, creative, funny people and we deserve better.”

• Susanne: “There are thousands of Irish immigrants in this same tragic situation and we’re staying here, waiting and hoping for the McCain/Kennedy bill. It really is the only light at the end of this dark tunnel.”
    Brenda and Susanne can go back and apply for citizenship. Just because they are white and Irish, doenst give them the right to special treatment. They are illegal, simple as that. And just because St Patrick's day is friday, doenst mean Kennedy owes them legalization.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast