Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

900,000 Protesters Demand Recount in Mexico

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /607160610

Published Sunday, July 16, 2006

Protesters Demand Recount in Mexico

By MARK STEVENSON
    Associated Press Writer

MEXICO CITY - Hundreds of thousands of protesters marched through the Mexican capital on Sunday to demand a manual recount in the disputed presidential election, led by a leftist candidate who says fraud cost him the presidency.

As a precaution, the Roman Catholic Church canceled Mass at the city's downtown cathedral as supporters of Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador began to overwhelm the central plaza to the sound of firecrackers and bands. Police officials in the pro-Lopez Obrador city government estimated the crowd at 900,000.

Conservative candidate Felipe Calderon, of President Vicente Fox's National Action Party, won by about 244,000 votes in the official count after the July 2 election.

Lopez Obrador's Democratic Revolution Party has appealed to the federal electoral court to overturn the official count, alleging illicit government and corporate help for Calderon, ballot stuffing and other irregularities. The former Mexico City mayor says he will stop the protests only if there is a ballot-by-ballot recount.

National Action has also filed its own challenges, seeking to stretch Calderon's tiny vote advantage. Calderon has said he believes is no legal basis for a complete recount, and has called on Lopez Obrador to respect official vote tallies.

Lopez Obrador supporters such as Xochitl Luna compared the situation to the fraud-stained 1988 election lost by leftist candidate Cuauhtemoc Cardenas and said they were ready for a long struggle.

"We could be here six more years," said the 43-year-old unemployed secretary, referring to the presidential term.

"In 1988 we were ready to take up sticks and stones," she said. "Today we are prepared to fight with ideas."

Marchers carried banners that proclaimed "No To Fraud!" as well as pictures of Calderon with a slash and the slogan: "It won't happen."

Fox ended the Institutional Revolutionary Party's 71 year stranglehold on the presidency in the 2000 election. Mexico's constitution limits presidents to one six-year term and he leaves office Dec. 1.

Top Lopez Obrador adviser Ricardo Monreal said the July 2 election means that Mexico's fledging democracy is already faltering.

"If another abuse, another (electoral) theft is confirmed," he said, "Mexico will never have clean elections again."

Some of Lopez Obrador's devoted followers have lit votive candles outside his campaign headquarters.

"He is the most marvelous man in the world," said Eugenia Leal, a 70-year-old retired school teacher who collects a pension thanks to a city program instituted by Lopez Obrador. "I'm willing to follow him from here to the death, or wherever he orders."

The dispute threatens to further divide Mexico along geographic and class lines. Lopez Obrador won in the mainly poor southern states, while Calderon swept most of the more-affluent north and northwest.

Lopez Obrador may never recognize Calderon as a legitimate president, setting up six years of sparring and protests that could threaten Mexico's political and economic stability.

The stock market and currency have swung widely in recent weeks as investors weigh the outcome of the dispute.

Calderon is building a transition team and planning a nationwide victory tour, even though his victory isn't official until the elections court issues a final decree by Sept. 6.

School teacher Ezequiel Torres, 53, said Lopez Obrador "represents hope."

"The right is capable of calling the army into the streets against the public," he said. "The people are tired, fed up, beaten by all that has been done by globalization governments. We want to undo everything that Fox has done."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

As a precaution, the Roman Catholic Church canceled Mass at the city's downtown cathedral as supporters of Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador began to overwhelm the central plaza to the sound of firecrackers and bands. Police officials in the pro-Lopez Obrador city government estimated the crowd at 900,000.
    Hmmm. This is getting interesting.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Marchers carried banners that proclaimed "No To Fraud!"
    Well, with all the corruption under Vicente Fox I can understand why they are saying, "No to Fraud". This would seem like a positive step for Mexico because the people are speaking out.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wonder if illegal aliens from Mexico EVEN CARE about whether or not the elections back there were fraudulent or not, or if they EVEN CARE who wins ?

I respect the Mexican people who remain with and stand by their country, and who have not fled. They must feel the way we feel about our country, that we would never run from it and that we would and do face adversity head on.

THOSE are the people who I really respect and feel concern for.

Right! Legal, it must be just as terrible for those citizens as it is for us here. It would terrible if some committed fraud. We can only hope they are caught if they did it.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

I have two thoughts or concerns on all of this.

1. I would think Obrador winning the election would make it far more difficutlt for Bush to push his agenda of a North American Union, so I suspect after all the saber rattling, court battles and what have you that Calderon will be selected, much as Bush was in 2000.

2. I have already read some disconcerting reports that many illegal aliens from Mexico are playing the refugee card. I am worried that Bush has not taken the steps to secure our border from what could be a tidal wave of Mexicans seeking refugee status, which would really complicate this whole matter.
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by PintoBean
    I have two thoughts or concerns on all of this.

1. I would think Obrador winning the election would make it far more difficutlt for Bush to push his agenda of a North American Union, so I suspect after all the saber rattling, court battles and what have you that Calderon will be selected, much as Bush was in 2000.

2. I have already read some disconcerting reports that many illegal aliens from Mexico are playing the refugee card. I am worried that Bush has not taken the steps to secure our border from what could be a tidal wave of Mexicans seeking refugee status, which would really complicate this whole matter.
    Pinto: I do believe you're on to something. This is an absolute replay of Florida for pete's sake. I know many, many people from both parties who are convinced that Jorge Boosh stole the election,

As for part two - again you're right. If they start playing the "refugee" card, we are in deep doodoo, cause too many Americans will eat it up.

Hi y'all,

Pintobean and CheyenneWoman, I agree.

"The right is capable of calling the army into the streets against the public," he said. "The people are tired, fed up, beaten by all that has been done by globalization governments. We want to undo everything that Fox has done."
    Can you imagine the numbers involved, if the illegal alien invasion becomes a "refugee" situation?
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Pat:

I thought you were going to bed

yep. but just had to check out one more....
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast