Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Amendment Targets loose lips at border!!!!

Amendment targets loose lips at border
    By Lisa Friedman, Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - Congress sent a loud message to the Bush administration this week that it will not tolerate any information being given to the Mexican government regarding the whereabouts of the Minutemen or other civilian border patrols.
    An amendment to the annual Homeland Security Department funding bill now headed to the Senate blocks any taxpayer money from going to provide "a foreign government information relating to the activities of an organized civilian volunteer group."

Authored by Rep. Jack Kingston, R-Ga., the amendment passed 293-107. It gained the support of 76 Democrats, though none from Southern California.

The measure came on the heels of reports in the Daily Bulletin that U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officials had given Mexico the location of U.S. citizens participating in civilian patrols.

"I am sure the Border Patrol will say, ‘Oh no, we are not doing that,' and yet one of the Web pages of the Secretary of Mexico had the information very explicit, and we just do not believe that is a good practice," Kingston said.

Jim Gilchrist, founder of the Minuteman Project, said he didn't understand the point of the amendment but appreciated the motivation.

"I don't understand how depriving them of money is going to stop them from picking up the phone and calling the Mexican Army," Gilchrist said.

But, he added, "If the attempt is to prevent U.S. law enforcement from disclosing the positions and activities of American citizens doing neighborhood watches, then I would be for it."

U.S. Border Patrol spokesman Damon Foreman said the agency "never has and never will" tip off Mexican officials about the location of civilian patrols.

"We only talk to Mexican authorities if we have a Mexican national in custody with the right to talk to his or her consulate," under the rule of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations of 1963, Foreman said. He declined to comment on Kingston's amendment and said the agency never comments on pending legislation.

Kingston's amendment makes an exception for sharing information that is "required by international treaty."

Mark Potok, civil rights expert with the Southern Poverty Law Center, called Kingston's amendment symbolic and pointless.

"I don't know if there's any truth to these allegations about the Border Patrol, but this sounds like another paranoid conspiracy theory of the Minutemen," Potok said.

"The reality is that President Bush, no liberal himself, has correctly called these groups vigilantes. And vigilantes are dangerous," he said.

The measure must be passed by the Senate before President Bush signs it into law.

www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3911340

Mark Potok, civil rights expert with the Southern Poverty Law Center, called Kingston's amendment symbolic and pointless.

"I don't know if there's any truth to these allegations about the Border Patrol, but this sounds like another paranoid conspiracy theory of the Minutemen," Potok said. "The reality is that President Bush, no liberal himself, has correctly called these groups vigilantes. And vigilantes are dangerous," he said.
    I quite correctly call this guy a lying IDIOT!!!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Who is in control?

He is an idiot. Everyone knows the minutemen are no threat whatsoever; just another of the infinite idiocies spouted by our illegal alien loving president. I am not surprised by California not backing the resolution; by all practical purposes they are already a part of Mexico as is the government in DC.

"The reality is that President Bush, no liberal himself, has correctly called these groups vigilantes. And vigilantes are dangerous," he said.
    Bush needs to think before he speaks, if that's possible. Are crime watch groups vigilantes???? Does this bufoon even know what he's saying?
    It goes to show you what lengths they'll go to to get their way.
    And I'll be damned if I'll let that happen without putting up a fight.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

31scout said
    Bush needs to think before he speaks, if that's possible. Are crime watch groups vigilantes???? Does this bufoon even know what he's saying?
    The prez calls American patriots vigilantes and he calls the illegal squatters and criminals devoted family folk.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!