Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Boycotts should not drive policy choice (ALIPAC)

Boycotts should not drive policy choice

Posted Sunday, July 15, 2007

Looking for any additional leverage that might aid their cause, activists on both sides of a controversial law enforcement proposal in Waukegan have turned to economic pressure.

Those who oppose a city council effort to give local police certain authority to enforce federal immigration law have given Waukegan business owners bright orange posters signifying opposition to these enforcement powers. Organizers have told business owners that stores and restaurants that display the posters can count on their patronage. Owners and managers who fail to display the orange signs will be the targets of a boycott.

In response, Americans for Legal Immigration, which favors the enforcement powers, is urging people from inside the city and out to patronize businesses that decline to display the orange posters.

There’s nothing new about utilizing economic boycotts as a political tool, but the fact is that organizers on both sides have unfairly placed business owners, who have no direct role in this debate, in a no-win situation. Display the orange sign, and a business owner presumably loses a share of business. Fail to display the poster, and he or she loses a different segment of customers.

This regrettable turn of events signifies how high both sides believe the stakes to be. Indeed, the proposal does bear citywide ramifications. In June, council members voted to seek from the Department Homeland Security special status — dubbed 287(g) — for some city police officers. With federal approval, these officers would receive training, among other things, to initiate deportation proceedings against illegal immigrants. City officials, led by Mayor Richard Hyde, say they would use this authority only against persons involved in such serious crimes as murder, rape or other violent felonies.

In those instances, deportation of those who gained entry to the country illegally would seem the appropriate course of action. If 287(g) status helps the city expedite that process, then it would have a definite value.

City council members, scheduled to re-vote on the issue Monday, will be weighing that benefit against concerns of those — particularly Latinos — who fear that police would use the authority more broadly. Hyde has pledged that police would not use 287(g) status to conduct random sweeps either housing or workplaces for the purpose of finding those here illegally. Indeed, it’s not at all clear what benefit Waukegan would gain from such sweeps. Still, Hyde, the city council and police brass would do well to reiterate the pledge if the council again votes in favor of the application.

There is no easy answer to the question of whether 287(g) status is, on balance, more beneficial or detrimental to Waukegan. If the city uses the authority as pledged, then the scales tip toward beneficial. In any case, though, city council members are obliged to base their votes on the proposal’s merits or drawbacks — uninfluenced by the threats and counter— threats of economic damage.

http://www.dailyherald.com/search/searc ... ?id=331653
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Illegal immigrants shouldn't have a say in anything concerning our policies or laws. It's unfortunate it's come to this but outside of brawling in the streets.......what else can people do when the government won't enforce the laws? I mean I know they are expecting a crowd there....people wanting laws enforced vs people that don't.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

City officials, led by Mayor Richard Hyde, say they would use this authority only against persons involved in such serious crimes as murder, rape or other violent felonies.
    This means nothing! These felons would go to prison. The idea is to PREVENT these from happening!! How many times have we all heard that an illegal had been arrested multiple times before committing a felony. This is absurd. Here ANYONE, who is arrested for ANY reason gets checked.

To have people lobbying AGAINST enforcing the laws is an absolute opposite stance of the AMERICAN way and system. This is Latin American politics at it's best!

Here is a perfect example of failing to deport someone..

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=73683

Re: Boycotts should not drive policy choice (ALIPAC)

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    . . . but the fact is that organizers on both sides have unfairly placed business owners, who have no direct role in this debate, in a no-win situation. Display the orange sign, and a business owner presumably loses a share of business. Fail to display the poster, and he or she loses a different segment of customers.
    No direct role in this debate!?! Are they part of the USA?
    IMHO, business owners, just like the rest of us, need to decide who they support, so I see nothing wrong with this and I don't think it's unfair to business owners. Do they support the rule of law, or do they support those who ignore our laws? Simple. Time to choose sides business owners. Sorry if you don't like it and it hurts your bottom line, but that's life in the world we live in now, thanks to non-enforcement of our immigration laws. Deal with it.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Not to mention that if it weren't for 'business owners' overall, we probably wouldn't have this problem (or, at least not on the massive scale that exists today). 'Business owners' should not be immune from public pressure, unwanted attention, even public boycotts on the issue. If ALL businesses stood up and insisted on across the board enforcement, we wouldn't have much a problem at all (as it would be nearly impossible for any illegal to work here in any capacity....)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Boycotts should not drive policy choice (ALIPAC)

Quote Originally Posted by "patbrunz
    No direct role in this debate!?! Are they part of the USA?
    IMHO, business owners, just like the rest of us, need to decide who they support, so I see nothing wrong with this and I don't think it's unfair to business owners. Do they support the rule of law, or do they support those who ignore our laws? Simple. Time to choose sides business owners. Sorry if you don't like it and it hurts your bottom line, but that's life in the world we live in now, thanks to non-enforcement of our immigration laws. Deal with it.
    My thoughts exactly!!!

It isn't unfair to suggest that business take a stand. In so many ways, business has been the biggest force in the illegal invasion.

If these business had been standing up with Americans all these years, perhaps this situation would not have occurred.

Just my own personal opinion, but BUSINESS IS THE PROBLEM. Not all, for sure. But usually the Chamber of Commerce supports illegals - if a business supports the Chamber - they are complicit.

It is going to be tough on some - but not nearly as tough as it will be if we loose our country altogether.

Will some truly innocent be hurt, possibly. How many truly, truly innocent Americans have been hurt by this travesty?

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Quote: "but the fact is that organizers on both sides have unfairly placed business owners, who have no direct role in this debate, in a no-win situation. Display the orange sign, and a business owner presumably loses a share of business. Fail to display the poster, and he or she loses a different segment of customers".

BULL S_ _ _ look at DELL computers now in India with thier customer service as well .... I will never again buy a DELL product. Same here, if you choise and I say again... choose to put up that little orange flag, you and you alone the bussiness owner deserves all that comes your way ... Made in China... I will not touch it ... me and my girl friend make a combined 173,000.00 a year, both retired military and both have a second and third job ... there is no way I would spend a penny in any store or bussiness that condones this kind of deviciveness ... BUY AMERICAN and support bussinesses that support you and possibly your childrens, children

Would a city ever pledge to only arrest bank robbers and not other lesser types of robberys. Would shoplifters start protesting robbery laws.

The city looks like a bunch of sniviling cowards catering to these illegals. WHY should they promise anything other than to ENFORCE the law!!??

After 287g was adopted in Mecklenberg cty, N.C., DUI's dropped. The fact is fear of deportation will be a huge deterrent. They need to see this!!

Welcome to ALIPAC AirborneSapper7!

Glad to have you aboard.