Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush says opposes national immigration boycott

Bush says opposes national immigration boycott
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush said on Friday he opposes a national boycott planned by pro-immigration activists on Monday that could include millions of participants.

Organizers have timed the action for May Day and have strong support from big labor and the Roman Catholic church. They vow that America's major cities will grind to a halt and its economy will stagger as Latinos walk off their jobs and skip school.

"You know, I'm not a supporter of boycotts. I am a supporter of comprehensive immigration," Bush told a Rose Garden news conference, referring to efforts to reach an immigration deal with the U.S. Congress.

Bush urged the protesters to show respect.

"You know, I think it's very important for people, when they do express themselves, they continue to do so in a peaceful way, in a respectful way, respectful of ... how highly charged this debate can become," he said.

Immigration has split Congress, the Republican Party and public opinion. Conservatives want the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants returned to Mexico and a fence built along the border.

Bush and others want a guest-worker program and a path to citizenship. Most agree some reform is needed to stem the flow of poor to the world's biggest economy.

Bush said "most Americans agree that we've got to enforce our border" but that a temporary guest-worker program is needed as a way to get rid of an illegal smuggling network that brings people across the border and forges documents.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060428/pl_ ... MlJVRPUCUl
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That's a good post. Glad to see that el Bushio is aware of how charged this debate has become and at least spoke out against a 'boycott'. This boycott is going to backfire on them all...mark my words
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

"You know, I'm not a supporter of boycotts.

"You know, I think it's very important for people
    You know, doesn't Hillary Clinton talk exactly the same way, you know?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

You know, I think your probably right, you know?
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

He's still lying through his teeth. The only way to stop smugglers is with a guest-worker program? Please!!!!

He just wants to be on the right side of the fence when the S*** hits the fan
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Oooh...Bush's statement are so full of passion and sincerity I think I'm going to lose my dinner.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Why does Bush keep calling this a "debate?" I think "invasion" is a better term. Yeah, you see where he's hoping the protests are peaceful? I bet he is dreading Monday. More and more of the American people will see just how out of control illegal immigration is? I wonder if Kennedy will still be opening his pie-hole in support of illegals after Monday. Probably!