Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CA. Butte County company to pay $1.5 million I.C.E. penalty

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA. Butte County company to pay $1.5 million I.C.E. penalty

Butte County company to pay $1.5 million in federal penalty

GRIDLEY
    July 22, 2016 1:35pm

• Had been accused of immigration violations

• Mary’s Gone Crackers also to establish a corporate compliance program

Mary’s Gone Crackers Inc., a natural food company based in Gridley in Butte County, has agreed to pay $1.5 million and set up a corporate immigration compliance program under an agreement reached with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento.
    This follows an investigation into potential criminal violations of federal immigration laws, says Acting U.S. Attorney Phillip Talbert.

According to the agreement, in March 2012 Mary’s Gone Crackers’ I-9 immigration forms for its employees were examined.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement says it found that 49 employees appeared not to be authorized to work in the United States.

After one employee provided corrected documentation, Mary’s Gone Crackers informed ICE that the other 48 had all resigned or been terminated.

However, within less than a month, Mary’s Gone Crackers rehired at least 13 employees that it claimed had been terminated or resigned, all of them under new names, the U.S. Attorney’s Office says. One of those 13, an operations supervisor, never stopped working for Mary’s Gone Crackers at all, but instead continued to work under a new assumed name and received payment as an independent contractor, rather than through the company’s ordinary payroll, the government says.

When a search warrant was executed at the company’s Gridley facility in January 2013 by federal law enforcement, at least 12 of the 13 rehired individuals were still working at Mary’s Gone Crackers.

As further described in the agreement, during the course of the I-9 audit and its rehiring of individuals, Mary’s Gone Crackers had at times consulted with an outside counsel from the Chico area. After the search warrant, Mary’s Gone Crackers cooperated with the government’s investigation and took remedial measures, including terminating employees, stopping use of the outside counsel involved, and taking various steps to ensure compliance with immigration laws and I-9 regulations, including use of E-Verify and the Social Security Verification Service.

The company also established an anonymous tip line so that employees can report any potential I-9 issues.

The nonprosecution agreement requires Mary’s Gone Crackers to establish a corporate compliance program covering its I-9 procedures and its use of the E‑Verify system, and requires timely and complete disclosure of violations of immigration laws or regulations within 24 hours of discovery.

It also requires Mary’s Gone Crackers to provide corporate compliance reporting to the United States Attorney’s Office for two years.

No federal criminal charges will be brought against Mary’s Gone Crackers for the investigated conduct if the company complies with the terms of the nonprosecution agreement. The agreement is only between the government and the company Mary’s Gone Crackers, and does not pertain to specific individuals.

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstime.../001/?ID=30945
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn