http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/breaking/7755.php

In their own words: Quotes from protesters
Published: 03.30.2006
On why he was marching: "For my people. Because I don't want this law to be passed. It's totally unfair. This law with illegal immigrants - I don't know the law but I think its unfair and I think it's racist."
- Jose Nunez, 16, freshman, Catalina Magnet High School
"I have a lot of Mexican friends."
They said if they catch you coming with illegal immigrants they're going to charge you with murder."
- Brittanie Margaritis, 15, Catalina freshman
"It was for the immigrants, the new law they're trying to make. I don't think they should do it because the United States is full of more Mexicans than there is any other race. You can't have any illegal immigrants in the car with you and it's stupid because once they're here, they're free."
- Vania Loya, 16 years old Catalina sophomore
He said he marched "because they (immigrants) need their rights and they're not criminals."
- Tyler Weyrauch, 15 years old Catalina high freshman
On why he is there: "To support Mexicans and to support opposition to the bill against illegal immigrants coming into the United States.
"I think there are actually more people that just want to get out of school than there are here in support."
- Andres Robles, 15 years old, Tucson High freshman

Comments on this Story 14 Total Comments — See All Comments
1. Comment by Brian L. — March 30,2006 @ 12:57PM

I really don’t understand what all this is about. The United States is trying to pass a law that would require people to be a US citizen? Get out of here, you mean to tell me the US is trying to protect this country and stop people from coming into this country illegally? Wow and some of these comments made by these high school students are unbelievable. Glad to see my tax dollars going to education. The reporters should ask some of these students if people coming into this country illegally pay taxes. I bet the answer would be NO!
2. Comment by Todd E. — March 30,2006 @ 1:20PM

I agree with Brian L. it's funny that the people who get all the coverage are those who have no idea what taxes are for. The United States regulary allows and accepts people from other countries to enter and stay legally. Now just becuase a bunch of high school kids who decide they don't want to go to school for a day say it's wrong we should listen. The US is not saying that Mexican citizens can't ever enter the United States, but there is a legal avenue to do it. The United States already has a problem providing health care for it's own citizens that now we have the constant worry about Mexican Nationals. I work to hard and pay too much in taxes to support people here legally and US citizens, now I have to pay for other countries and thier citizens as well. The only thing these kids, and yes they are kids got right was that immigrants do deserve rights, they should just get them legally. They should not get special treatment just because the US has a lot of Mexican Americans living here. If someone from England comes to the United States they must do it legally. The fact that these kids are given a voice for not going to school for a day is ridiculous, let them get jobs, pay taxes and see what supporting people who shouldn't even be here is like. Then ask them how they feel about it.
3. Comment by Richard Y G. — March 30,2006 @ 2:32PM

It is best to realize that all illegal Immigrants are not all Mexicans. I think the United States needs to either put Caucasians to work in the fields, where Mexicans are willing to work for minimal wages, and pay taxes. As for people who are working with fake information, they are paying taxes. There is no questions about that. As for the United States providing health care for its own citizens, its the citizens who are constantly looking for a free ride under the SSI or Social Security benefits crying disability. Let's take a good look at who is coming into this country and who is really doing the work and who is getting the free ride.