Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Commissioners meeting will discuss Sheriff's role in El Paso

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_4115662

Commissioners meeting will discuss Sheriff's role

Erica Molina Johnson / El Paso Times
    El Paso Times

County Commissioners Court may pass a resolution at its regular meeting today that would limit the enforcement of immigration laws by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.
    "I'm very much in favor of it," Commissioner Larry Medina said.

Commissioner Miguel Terán placed the item on today's agenda.

The proposed resolution states that "unless otherwise required by law or court order, county agents shall refrain from the enforcement of federal immigration laws."

This means no one is to be singled out for enforcement "based solely on their country of origin, religion, race and ethnicity or immigration status."

The proposed resolution also states that crime victims, witnesses and those approaching officers for assistance will not be asked about their immigration status.

"Local law enforcement is already taxed enough in terms of following their directives," Medina said. "Their responsibility is the enforcing of local ordinances and laws."

He said federal laws should be enforced by federal agencies and state laws by state agencies.

"I want to let the public know, and the sheriff know, we're simply not in favor of him continuing to enforce federal statutes when there's many other laws that he needs to concentrate on," Medina said.

The resolution comes after the Sheriff's Office received criticism that deputies were allegedly working to find and report undocumented immigrants.

This public perception, though refuted by Sheriff's Office officials, has frightened some undocumented immigrants, possibly causing some undocumented victims of crimes to remain silent, county residents have said.

The proposed resolution states that violations could result in disciplinary action.

Commissioners are also set to discuss again the District Attorney's Information Management System (DIMS), a procedure for people entering the criminal justice system.

A motion to renew it failed last week in a vote of two to two, and Medina, who voted against it, said he has since changed his mind.

"My number one effort by far this week has been to study to personally evaluate the success of DIMS," he said. "My research has indicated overwhelming support of the DIMS issue ... It serves as a great example to the rest of Texas."

Erica Molina Johnson may be reached at emolina@elpasotimes.com; 546-6132.

Make plans

What: County Commissioners Court meeting.

When, where: 10 a.m. today, Commissioners Court chambers, third floor of the El Paso County Courthouse, 500 E. San Antonio.

On the Web: www.epcounty.com/commcourt/meetings/default.htm. (Webcast and agendas)

On TV: Replay at 7 p.m. Wednesday on cable Channel 15.

Information: 546-2000.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't think these bozo's have any autority over the Sheriff. The Sheriff being an elected office.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!