Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dialysis for immigrants drives hospital into debt

Dialysis for immigrants drives hospital into debt

Associated Press
    Aug. 17, 2009, 6:30AM

LAS VEGAS — A Las Vegas hospital providing emergency dialysis services to 80 illegal immigrants says that accounts for much of its operating deficit.

The University Medical Center says the treatment will cost it about $24 million this fiscal year, aggravating a budget deficit that is expected to approach $70 million.

UMC's chief operating officer, Brian Brannman, said the hospital is required by federal law to treat anyone who shows up in an emergency but receives no reimbursement from federal, state or local governments for doing it.

"Our people are really torn," Brannman told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "We want to take care of people who are ill. We're proud that we can save lives. But our employees are also worried about the survival of UMC. They know that the appetite of taxpayers for helping undocumented immigrants is limited."

The cost of providing dialysis to illegal immigrants doubled last year, with twice as many seeking the treatment two or three times a week, officials said.

One patient said she had nowhere else to turn.

"I am so thankful to this hospital for doing this for someone who is not a citizen," Marta Berrera told the newspaper through an interpreter. "Without this help, I would die and my four children would be without a mother."

UMC professionals say taxpayer-supported hospitals are strained to the breaking point and need to be part of the discussion on how to reform the nation's health care system. If this problem isn't solved, they say, others can expect to wait longer or pay more for their own emergency services.

"There's no question that these illegals who come for dialysis treatment at emergency rooms back everything up," said Dr. Dale Carrison, UMC's head of emergency services. "And there's also no question that they need help. But this isn't how emergency rooms were meant to be used."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spe ... 75281.html

Give them dialysis to stabilize them then call ICE and deport them. Emergency services renderd and problem solved. This way the hospital would only be hit with the cost once.

Some will call me heartless, but I am past caring.

I know of several Americans who died because their hospitals would no longer treat them because of the patients financial situations. One hospital wanted money up front to do a transplant. No more money, patient died.

My question is why are Americans allowed to die, but somehow illegal aliens are given free life-saving treatment?!?!?! What's the secret here? I'd really like to know.

Instead of whining about it, this hospital should advise these illegal aliens to get their affairs in order and send them home. No money? NO FREE TREAMENT!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Some will call me heartless, but I am past caring.

I know of several Americans who died because their hospitals would no longer treat them because of the patients financial situations. One hospital wanted money up front to do a transplant. No more money, patient died.

My question is why are Americans allowed to die, but somehow illegal aliens are given free life-saving treatment?!?!?! What's the secret here? I'd really like to know.

Instead of whining about it, this hospital should advise these illegal aliens to get their affairs in order and send them home. No money? NO FREE TREAMENT!!!!
    I completely agree. I am past caring as well. Time to send them home.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&