U.S. Border Patrol detains 13 Haitian migrants on Singer Island

Adam SacasaContact ReporterSun Sentinel

One woman was hospitalized after being smuggled with 12 other Haitians early Tuesday to Singer Island.

U.S. Border Patrol agents took 13 Haitian migrants into custody after they came ashore on Singer Island Tuesday morning.

Agents learned of the landing at about 6:30 a.m. when Riviera Beach police reported the group, said Asst. Chief Patrol Agent Frank Miller.

There were eight men and five women in the group.

One woman was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center after being injured during what Miller called a smuggling trip.

The extent of her injuries was not released.

Sun Sentinel news partner WPEC-Ch.12 reported that a man who was walking his dog early Tuesday morning ran into one of the migrants.

"One of the guys came and asked me to call him a cab so I called him a cab," said David Nichol. "I told him to sit over there on the bench gave him cup of coffee. Minutes later, helicopter, police all arrived,"

The cab never arrived. The man who asked for that ride is among those in custody.

Miller asks anyone who spots suspicious activity, including narcotics or human smuggling, to call the Border Patrol at 877-772-8146.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/pa...112-story.html